Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-29-2009, 06:24 AM   #16
ozan
Enthusiast
ozan began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
Well... I am not posting any pictures of this, because it doesn't even fit the 505

It's not even a tight fit; the reader -with the stock cover on- doesn't even go into the tin can. I dont know whether my friend got a case for a different product or not from the same seller, but at least he got a free lunch at the end
ozan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #17
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozan View Post
Well... I am not posting any pictures of this, because it doesn't even fit the 505

It's not even a tight fit; the reader -with the stock cover on- doesn't even go into the tin can. I dont know whether my friend got a case for a different product or not from the same seller, but at least he got a free lunch at the end
Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you.
Try one of the larger computer stores in your area and look at the clamshell covers they have for notebook computers. I saw so many different styles, sizes, and shapes when I went looking, both hard case and soft. All shared the same idea though; a case that zipped on three sides, with either rigid molded plastic, thick neoprene, or stiff sorbothane as the case material.

Several of the rigid molded plastic cases fit my 505, but I wanted something that I could modify to have an open top so I went with the neoprene and sorbothane cases. If you don't mind having a zipper on three sides, and want some solid protection, the rigid plastic cases looked pretty nice.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2009, 06:30 PM   #18
ozan
Enthusiast
ozan began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
Thanks for the suggestion. Looking at the previous pictures of the item, I am almost certain that a different case was sent to him... It would be too much hassle to send it back, etc etc for something this cheap, so either I'll use it with some modifications (e.g., without the cover) or just keep it for something else.

In the mean time, I'll check the computer stores for the case idea you mentioned. Do you happen to have pictures of your case?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you.
Try one of the larger computer stores in your area and look at the clamshell covers they have for notebook computers. I saw so many different styles, sizes, and shapes when I went looking, both hard case and soft. All shared the same idea though; a case that zipped on three sides, with either rigid molded plastic, thick neoprene, or stiff sorbothane as the case material.

Several of the rigid molded plastic cases fit my 505, but I wanted something that I could modify to have an open top so I went with the neoprene and sorbothane cases. If you don't mind having a zipper on three sides, and want some solid protection, the rigid plastic cases looked pretty nice.

Stitchawl
ozan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:36 AM   #19
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozan View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Looking at the previous pictures of the item, I am almost certain that a different case was sent to him... It would be too much hassle to send it back, etc etc for something this cheap, so either I'll use it with some modifications (e.g., without the cover) or just keep it for something else.

In the mean time, I'll check the computer stores for the case idea you mentioned. Do you happen to have pictures of your case?

Thanks!
Sorry, no pics. But just imagine the simplest sort of design; one piece of rectangular neoprene folded in half, with a zipper going around the three sides. I just cut off one end, about an inch down from the zipper to shorten the case to fit the 505. That left two sides fastened by the zipper (which I glued over so it can no longer open.) Basically just a well padded top loading envelop. I made mine as an envelop inside an envelop. Two layers of padding, different materials, very, very protective, just slightly larger than the 505 in its leather cover. One end is open so I can just slip the reader in or out when I unzip the front pocket of my pack without having to remove the case from the pack.

With the kydex plastic between the two layers, I'd have no reservations putting this into checked baggage if needed. It would need a cement block falling on it to damage the reader, and even then I almost think the reader would survive. Very protective, very easy to use, very easy to make, and very ugly. You can't win them all.

Stitchawl
Old 05-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #20
coase
Enthusiast
coase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color
I have a cheap solution. I got a journal cover to use with my Reader. The Reader doesn't fit snugly but fits well because you can insert the back of the original cover into the journal cover. However, I also have a removable cardboard insert with foam to make the Reader fit more snugly when transporting my Reader on a long trip in my carryons. I find it not inconvenient to use the Reader directly when in the journal cover on planes/trains.

So all in all, it's like a carrying a leather journal a bit larger than the Reader which itself is kept in the original cover. I think this provides adequate protection in my carryon.

And, I got the cover from Staples.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0905020009.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	28362   Click image for larger version

Name:	0905020010.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	28363  
coase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #21
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Look a heck of a lot nicer than mine!
Not a much padding though, but you might not need to make yours bombproof as I did. I tend to drop things....
What is the journal cover made of? Couldn't you attach the cardboard/foam filler to the left side of the cover so that it would always be there, 'just in case?'

Stitchawl
Old 05-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #22
Evin
Evin began at the beginning.

Device: Red Sony 505
I have an 80/20 solution of my own for keeping my 505 safer. I found a book at a garage sale that had a thick, well-padded and plasticized cover - It is just a little longer than the 505 in its cover. The subject matter of the book seems like something no-one would want to steal! It is actually a book of blank pages for a mother to write memoirs etc.

I gutted the book and used book-repair tape to smooth the inside. I didn't like the idea of the usb port etc. peeking out the sides, so I ran up a little bag on my serger that fits the reader loosely. I tucked the reader into the cover and put a couple of rubber bands on it. Very secure! I can also read using the book-cover if I tuck the cover's sides into the rubber bands. I just wanted to be able to put the reader in the side pocket of my purse without it being a beacon for thieves. I don't think anybody would steal this girly-book!

I could have gotten more fancy and put in sleeves on the inside for the cover flaps etc. but that would sort of defeat the 80/20 idea. This is good enough for the moment until I find the EXACT thing I want!

Hope the pictures attach okay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Original-Book-mini.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	28379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside-book-mini.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	28380   Click image for larger version

Name:	bag-for-book-mini.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	28381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished-cover-mini.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	28382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side-View-book-mini.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	28383  
Evin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:24 AM   #23
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Very clever! Hidden in plain sight, and protective too! Good combination!

Stitchawl
Old 05-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #24
coase
Enthusiast
coase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color
The journal cover is quite thick and stiff and the foam is thicker than the Reader. So when the whole thing is closed I think the Reader is amply protected for minor bumps and such. Anything more serious and I might as well put it in bubble wrap but be unable to use it. This way, it can still be taken on a flight and used with minimal inconvenience.
coase is offline   Reply With Quote