Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
bobmutch
Edge User

Latest Official Update

I got an update notification last night. I was. very excited about having some of my strange Ermine behavior being fixed; but decided to cancel the update mid-stream. The reason: well, after two weeks, and one lock up/unit wipe, I've got my PE just about perfect. All Google stuff is installed and working.

Any brave souls out there receive the same notification, and actually go through with the install?

Old 05-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
emusan
Edge User

If you have been messing with root and the gapps and such this may be a result of that. I started recieveing update notifications about a day after rooting my edge, and installing them did nothing(though some have reported that it would remove the root, though thats quite easy to fix). I've been waiting to see if entourage is actually going to release another update before I uninstall the entourage update apk(I have it backed up so I could always just restore it if need be). If they go away completely there is no point in keeping the app in my mind...

Old 05-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
bobmutch
Edge User

Ah. So the notification is, in a sense, an indication that I have successfully "broken" my PE. For now, I'll ignore it, since all I have left to figure out it how to wireless tether to my phone. So far, unsucccessful; even wiith ad hockey lines added to wireless settings file.

I'll keep digging.

Anyone out the have an issue with on-screen keyboard typing "l" instead of Return, no matter where Retuurn button pressed?

Old 05-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
twichy
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmutch View Post
Anyone out the have an issue with on-screen keyboard typing "l" instead of Return, no matter where Retuurn button pressed?
Why yes. This seems to be just the way it works on the PE (the keyboard often doesn't do what you might expect it to). No matter what the return key is labeled (go, continue, etc.) it makes an "l" when you're filling out a browser address and a few other places.

See this post http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...9172#post19172 for a list of alternate keyboards (that I haven't yet tried).

Most often my workaround is to tap the magnifying glass icon (search?) that's usually displayed after the input window. You'll probably find a better one. Please share it when you do.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
Yes, same behavior on my EE since updating to ermine.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
Filark
Edge User

Quote:
I had that too, on my PE after Ermanizing, but it seems to have gone away . . . either that or it has Pavloved me into not hitting the return key . . .

Old 05-30-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
cBird
Edge User

Quote:
...I've got my PE just about perfect. All Google stuff is installed and working.
bubmutch, which tutorial did you follow to get all the Google stuff working?

Right now I am so confused, I was combining the kennyminot directions on the Development forum with the forum on XDA Developers and I've got Market and gMail installed and seemingly ready to go but when I select either gMail or Market I get this popup:
"process com.google.process.gapps has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

From a reboot the opening popup is this:

"The application Google Partner Setup (process com.google.process.gapps) has stopped unexpectedly.Please try again."

I've searched w/Root Explorer in both other Android devices and can find nothing resembling com.google.process.gapps in system apps or user apps.

I was about ready to uninstall the apps I'd added and just go w/Android Market but when I see how many people have successfully gotten Google going I want to give it another go.
d

Old 05-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
emusan
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBird View Post
"The application Google Partner Setup (process com.google.process.gapps) has stopped unexpectedly.Please try again."
There isn't actually a gapps app, its just a word used to refer to all of the official "google apps", at least thats what I think, I may be wrong. Do you have another rooted phone with access to the market?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
cBird
Edge User

Hi, emusan, yes, I have a rooted phone and rooted QT7, both with market access, both of which I scoured looking for what you say is a nonexistent app. My PE is rooted of course.
The main reason I want it on my PE is while I've transferred a lot of my Google apps to it, w/o the market it's a real pain installing updates to them.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
emusan
Edge User

Quote:
Hi, emusan, yes, I have a rooted phone and rooted QT7, both with market access, both of which I scoured looking for what you say is a nonexistent app. My PE is rooted of course.
The main reason I want it on my PE is while I've transferred a lot of my Google apps to it, w/o the market it's a real pain installing updates to them.
I hate to have to ask, but are you sure you followed all of the steps correctly(this (broken) is the guide you should use)? Also, are you using the same google account that you backed up as the one you used when you restored? And sorry about the whole gapps thing, sometimes we say things without realizing others don't know what it refers to lol.

Last edited by Nate the great; 06-07-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:00 PM   #11
cBird
Edge User

Will follow your link to the guide. In truth, I think between the two directions I was trying to follow I may have installed too many apps.
Yes, quite sure the google account backed up is the one I used when I restored.
I may just start over tomorrow. I'll have to sleep on it. Do appreciate your guidance and no need to apologize, not offended in the least.
By the way, what does lol mean? I see it everywhere.
d
I just check the link and, yes, the kennyminot guide was the one of the two I was following; the other being on XDA Developers and slightly different.
Will keep you advised.

Last edited by cBird; 05-30-2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: addition

Old 05-31-2011, 12:46 AM   #12
bobmutch
Edge User

cBird,

I use followed the steps indicated in the link emusan has just posted. Took the most time hunting down and installing Titanium Backup Pro, z4root, and (important) root explorer. It DID help a lot that I have a Samsung Fascinate to pull working Google Apps (Gapps) from.

The beast rocks now.

Except for this whole tethering thing. I refuse to give Verizon $20 a month for the few times I want to 3g my PE.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:00 AM   #13
Filark
Edge User

Here's one I know: LOL means "laughing out loud" and is a very handy way of saying, "Good one!" or "That made me chuckle!"

Another acronym you might see sometimes is ROFL, which means "Rolling on the floor laughing" for when something is really funny.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:55 AM   #14
emusan
Edge User

Quote:
Yes, quite sure the google account backed up is the one I used when I restored.
I may just start over tomorrow. I'll have to sleep on it. Do appreciate your guidance and no need to apologize, not offended in the least.
By the way, what does lol mean? I see it everywhere.
I hope you have more luck next try! And as Filark said lol is laugh out loud, and I use it far too often lol(<<see), but laughing makes you live longer(or soon they say ).

Old 05-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #15
aidren
Edge User

Quote:
I have this as well, but it only seems to happen with browsers -- native, dolphin and opera mini.