Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-23-2016, 07:18 AM   #826
canpolat
Connoisseur
canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Xodo
It looks like the Import List plugin has most of the underlying functionality for this kind of a scenario, so I suggested this as a future for that plugin as well (link).
canpolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #827
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have repaired 'broken' calibre databases, without having access to the author and book folders, returned the database to the owner, which they have then gone on to use.

If your friend is going to use the library manager to update the metadata by downloading from Amazon, Goodreads etc then I'm pretty sure calibre will need the author and book folders.

If you take a copy of the library and remove all the format files, you should have something your friend can use to update the metadata. Remember the metadata in format files is not updated unless they are sent to a device, saved to disk or the polish or embed metadata functions are invoked.

I can't guarantee using one of the sqlite utilities will do what you want. They are just tools, that you will have to use in some well-defined and robust workflow procedures.

As for exporting the 'bookless' library - I would simply put it in an archive and have your friend unarchive it, when she's finished she probably only needs to return the database to you.

Its just an idea, you may not need it if someone writes the PI for you. I cannot guarantee it will work for you. If you're not convinced it will work, or you're not confident that you and your friend can make it work - don't do it.

Another approach might be to create a CSV catalogue from the existing library, send that to your friend who would use the Import List plugin to create a book-less library. After she has updated the metadata she would create a CSV catalogue which you would read with the Import List plugin.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2016, 09:13 AM   #828
canpolat
Connoisseur
canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.

The modification of tags will happen manually. I hope this can be done without the book directories.

I'm not sure my friend can keep up with DB related suggestions and workflows, so I want to steer away from database related solutions. CSV sounds simpler to me. Also, I want to review the changes before applying them, so just importing (archive/unarchive) the database may not be the best solution in this case.

I thought something similar to your last suggestion (that's why I asked if extending the Import List plugin is an option at the linked thread). I installed the Import List plugin, exported a library using calibredb and started the import (around 6500 titles). But it is taking too much time, unfortunately (it has been running for an hour and the import has not yet finished, I suspect it gets stuck for some reason). On the other hand using the catalogue feature to export data sounds very good (instead of directly using calibredb). That sounds simpler and more user friendly and will be easier to use for my friend. I'll keep working on this and try to find out why Import List is taking so long... Thanks a lot for your suggestions. If it wasn't for your replies I couldn't have come this close.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #829
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Also look at using http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gene...l#set-metadata To automate tag adding

(Is this an Replace all tags or just Add_more?)
I don't believe there is an Unset metadata (to just remove tags by ID)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #830
canpolat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Also look at using http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gene...l#set-metadata To automate tag adding

(Is this an Replace all tags or just Add_more?)
I don't believe there is an Unset metadata (to just remove tags by ID)
Thanks for the response the ducks. I don't think using command line tools is something my friend will be comfortable with.

She will be adding new tags to some of the books I have (she doesn't like the depth of my tagging). So, she will use my base library (she doesn't have to start from scratch) and I will benefit from her more detailed work on some of the books.
Advert
Old 01-23-2016, 01:30 PM   #831
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canpolat View Post
Thanks for the response the ducks. I don't think using command line tools is something my friend will be comfortable with.

She will be adding new tags to some of the books I have (she doesn't like the depth of my tagging). So, she will use my base library (she doesn't have to start from scratch) and I will benefit from her more detailed work on some of the books.
I was thinking that YOU would use them to merge her CSV bac kinto your DB

remember, most of the CLI tools use the books {ID} to link the command to a specific title
Old 01-23-2016, 02:39 PM   #832
canpolat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I was thinking that YOU would use them to merge her CSV bac kinto your DB

remember, most of the CLI tools use the books {ID} to link the command to a specific title
Oh! OK. I will keep that possibility in mind then. Once I get back the DB, I guess I can write a script to compare the fields we are interested in and provide a diff before merging them in. And setting metadata would be excellent in that case.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:19 PM   #833
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by canpolat View Post
Oh! OK. I will keep that possibility in mind then. Once I get back the DB, I guess I can write a script to compare the fields we are interested in and provide a diff before merging them in. And setting metadata would be excellent in that case.
Have her make a mark (custom column) for any ID she changed.
Simple, then, to reduce the set to those to change.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:08 PM   #834
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Keep in mind we are engaging in dark arts here... not officially supported AT ALL...

You could simply send the metadata.db, and have your friend do whatever to it.

Then swap out the new metadata.db

Any purely metadata changes would live in the DB and therefore you will have the new version.
Any changes to author/title will change the filepaths for book formats which is bad news.

Then use:
Library Maintenance ==> Library metadata backup status ==> Queue all books for backup (button)
to force all the metadata.opf files to be rewritten (it would be quite awkward if you ever had to do a restore and reverted all that new information).

Assuming only non- author/title changes were made by your friend, I don't think it will blow up on you, although standard disclaimer that "here be dragons".
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:54 PM   #835
rmhartman
rmhartman began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten, Palm TX
Email (BOOK) to (EMAIL@SERVER.COM)

Amazon supports emailing books to be loaded onto your Kindle. A plugin that would take an ebook and mail it as an attachment to a configurable email address would be very useful here.

I suggest that the target email address be asked for each time, but remembered so that your frequent email target would not have to be retyped. But you could use it to email a book to a friend, not just your kindle.

Likewise the format(s) to be mailed could be defaulted and/or remembered to be Kindle format ... but should be selectable, so that you could email an epub book to someone.
rmhartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:55 PM   #836
rmhartman
rmhartman began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten, Palm TX
(I did not see anything like this in the "index" sticky ... if I missed it, please point it out.)
rmhartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:03 PM   #837
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhartman View Post
Amazon supports emailing books to be loaded onto your Kindle. A plugin that would take an ebook and mail it as an attachment to a configurable email address would be very useful here.
Already a core Calibre feature. Look in Calibre Preferences for 'Sharing Books by Email' in the 'Sharing' group.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #838
Mr.Husky
Mr.Husky began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Deleted. Not actual anymore.

Last edited by Mr.Husky; 02-09-2016 at 03:06 AM.
Mr.Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:00 AM   #839
Spatterson
Spatterson began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Beeline reader like coloring.
Spatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:33 AM   #840
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatterson View Post
Beeline reader like coloring.
Can you explain what you mean by that?

I am unsure what you are even referring to.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chatbot, epub fix, epub-fix, google books, metadata calibre title, pdf, pdf and calibre, plugin development