Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 03:55 AM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
FB2 Output for Nook - Calibre

ePub reader in Nook still do not support Thai character and word wrap. Thai character display can be solved by embedding Thai font; however, it won't wrap long paragraph to fit the screen width; each Thai paragraph will display as one line; thus, most texts are overflown out of the display.

So today, I try creating a Thai enews by setting the Preferred Output = FB2. Calibre can produce it without problem; but when I want to send the fb2 enews to my Nook, it always asks me to convert it to ePUB before Calibre can send it to my Nook. I have to use Windows file explorer to manually copy the fb2 enews to my Nook drive F:. (My Nook has been rooted with added FB2 reader)

FB2 displays Thai character by using Nook internal fonts (which I managed to have Thai font support in my rooted Nook); so I don't have to embed Thai font into every fb2 ebooks. FB2 reader also handle word wrap pretty well (though not perfect, it is acceptable).

My question is:

1. Can Calibre skip the conversion, and send the fb2 enews automatically to my Nook without asking (handle same as ePub)?

2. I choose to create my Thai enews in fb2 format, but I still prefer ePub for other English enews. How can I specify the output format (which is different from ePub as set in the global Preferred Output format) for only some of my enews?

Thanks.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:25 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
At the moment the Nook driver apparently does not realise that FB2 is a supported format for the Nook. This could be added in the short term by patching the Calibre source, although longer term I expect it will be added as standard. Once FB2 is added as a supported format then it should be possible to customise the Nook driver as to what is the prefered format if both FB2 and ePub are found.

News is always generated in whatever you have set as your default output format. It is not possible to specify a format that is specific to a news source. It is an interesting idea and it might be worth raising a ticket for this as an enhancement request if you think it is worthwhile (but even if it is accepted I cannot see this being done that quickly).

Last edited by itimpi; 09-22-2010 at 04:28 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 05:07 AM   #3
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Thanks itimpi...I'll raise the ticket anyway.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:42 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
1. Can Calibre skip the conversion, and send the fb2 enews automatically to my Nook without asking (handle same as ePub)?
Yes, but you have to use the connect to folder option and connect directly to the folder on the Nook where you want the news in fb2 format sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
2. I choose to create my Thai enews in fb2 format, but I still prefer ePub for other English enews. How can I specify the output format (which is different from ePub as set in the global Preferred Output format) for only some of my enews?
Currently you can't. To request this as an enhancement go here.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:59 AM   #5
bthoven
Evangelist

Thanks dwanthny..I'll try the connect-to-folder option.
Advert