Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
Edy
Enthusiast
Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, new iPad,
supported dictionary

Hello

I have read in the Kindle manual it is possible to change the built in dictionary with a supported dictionary. I went to Amazon, but I can't find a section with supported dictionary. Does it mean all dictionary in Kindle format are supported?

While the built in dictionary is super, I would prefer an English - German dictionary.

I haven't found one in the Kindle store. Could I buy one in a different format and convert it and have the same features as the bult in one? Let the DRM issue a side.

Thanks
Edy
Edy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Theoretically, dictionaries listed in Kindle editions should be supported. Members have reported success with buying from other sources, removing DRM, and moving it to their Kindle. There have been some glitches with foreign language dictionaries - depending on the meta data - whether the Kindle can read it. So you might want to either search these forums for something like "German dictionary on Kindle" or repost your question specifically asking for input on Eng-Ger dictionaries.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Characters like ä. ö, and ü as well as the double s has to be supported, no?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
I bought a Spanish-English translation dictionary from Amazon and made it the default on my Kindle.

As a test, I was able to use the same dictionary on MobiPocket Reader - after the minor transformation. I really don't need a translation dictionary for MobiPocket on my NetBook since WordReference.com is better anyway.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
What I think you're looking for is Kindle default dictionaries:
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sr_tc_2_...6068&sr=8-2-tc

They can be a little tricky to find, unless you know what you are looking for. I would suggest you read the comments on Amazon before buying, just in case there's possible issues.

If you are planning to use a translation dictionary, I can point to an old thread if you are interested. Just won't spend time digging it up now unless you need it.

@Kumabjorn: The Kindle supports showing most western latin characters AFAIK - and I can assure you that it supports ä, ö, æ, ø and å.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Heh - I didn't read your post well enough, Edy

I have myself installed an german-english dictionary by first removing the DRM, and then changing the output language in the metadata of the dictionary. More info here, from post 29 and onward:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=60103&page=2

One other thing to note; don't buy a combined english-german & german-english dictionary, as it won't work. Just an english-german.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
Edy
Enthusiast
Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@EA

Thanks for your reply, very interested your link to amazon.com default dictionary. When I'm using my Swiss billing address the barrons dictionary are not shown, but using my US billing address it is shown. I just learnt something.

This forum is a treasure with information. I'm new but I think I learn fast.

Thanks
Edy
Old 07-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
What I think you're looking for is Kindle default dictionaries:
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sr_tc_2_...6068&sr=8-2-tc

@Kumabjorn: The Kindle supports showing most western latin characters AFAIK - and I can assure you that it supports ä, ö, æ, ø and å.
But you can't write hem? Right?
At least they don't show up when I push SYM key.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Correct - the Kindle can display the Latin-1 characters, but you cannot enter them on the keypad.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
@ Edy

yes indeed, read a lot in the past, and became a member only yesterday - a very usefull forum!

As I don't have a US billing adress, I stick with my Duden Just out of curiosity, I read some reviews - like the 2-star-review. From the product description, it says 50.000 words - my Duden only has 45.000 - so it's hard to believe, that Duden (finds almost every word the reviewer looked up) beats Barron (finds only 40%)

In the german post I reffered to earlier, I linked to a file I found after doing some google searches, it was descripted as "the best english german dictionary for kindle and other mobile devices"- Think I use the Kindle Previewer for PC to check this out...
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear4hunter View Post
@ Edy

yes indeed, read a lot in the past, and became a member only yesterday - a very usefull forum!

As I don't have a US billing adress, I stick with my Duden Just out of curiosity, I read some reviews - like the 2-star-review. From the product description, it says 50.000 words - my Duden only has 45.000 - so it's hard to believe, that Duden (finds almost every word the reviewer looked up) beats Barron (finds only 40%)

In the german post I reffered to earlier, I linked to a file I found after doing some google searches, it was descripted as "the best english german dictionary for kindle and other mobile devices"- Think I use the Kindle Previewer for PC to check this out...
Could you post you findings when you've checked it out? I know I'd be interested. I use the Oxford-Duden, too, and it's adequate, but I think it could be better.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Never tried it, but hopefully the dictionnary search is smart enough to figure out that if you typed 'ete', you meant 'été', for example?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #13
Edy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear4hunter View Post
@ Edy

@Bear4Hunter

I would prefer the barrons since it is in the Kindle store, what I want is a good one which finds a lot of words. I also stumbled over the review (only 40%).

Do you mean the Barrons has 50'000 words and the Duden only 45'000?. I havent' seen that.

Gruss
Edy
Old 07-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #14
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

I just removed the link in the other thread, as it looks very much exactly the same in Kindle Previewer as the original Duden on my Kindle!

At least in Germany, Duden is renowned for it's excellent quality dictionaries. AS for Barron, I don't know about this publisher. It's like the german saying "was der Bauer nicht kennt, der Bauer nicht frisst" (what the farmer doesn't know, he doesn't eat) - meaning that ppl. usually stick with the well known, instead of trying new.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #15
bear4hunter
Addict

@ Edy

The product image (Barrons) is showing 50.000 words, phrases....
The product description (Duden) ist stating over 45.000 word, phrases....
http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Oxford-...sr=8-2-catcorr

Another (possible) difference might be the kind of english - Oxford is (or should be) very British, the Barron-Cover shows the wording "American-style"