Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
hobscrk777
hobscrk777 began at the beginning.

Device: Undecided
Fastest Page Turn

Which e-reader currently on the market (or forthcoming in the near future) has the fastest page turn? This is probably in my top 3 criteria for selecting an e-reader. I've handled the Amazon Kindle 2 and the Sony 505 (and seen videos of several other models) and while the page turn isn't exactly slow in the large scheme of things, I think that it would grate on my after awhile. I've been using my iPod Touch as an e-reader for quite some time, and I really like how fast it changes pages.
hobscrk777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I own both a Kindle 1 and a Sony PRS-505. It took me a very short while to adapt to the speed of the page turn. When I'm reading, I will press the page-turn button at exactly the right time to allow me to finish reading the last line(s) of the page and then continue immediately on with the first line of the new page. This "anticipatory" page turn reminds me of sitting on the piano bench during a concert and turning the pages for the performer.

But ... to answer the question you asked, I believe that the fastest page turns are from the devices that do not have an e-Ink screen. Jetbook and eBookwise are two that come to mind. The wiki lists these two and a "Dr. Yi" as the only non-e-Ink readers which are still being manufactured. (See https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices)
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
If your looking for something fast and different check out the jetBook.

Instead of e-ink, it uses TFT which doesn't have the "splash" effect other readers do and the page turns are actually instantaneous with absolutely no wait or load time.

I did a video review on it a little while ago, you can check out how it works here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urgm7dAA7-Q
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobscrk777 View Post
Which e-reader currently on the market (or forthcoming in the near future) has the fastest page turn? This is probably in my top 3 criteria for selecting an e-reader. I've handled the Amazon Kindle 2 and the Sony 505 (and seen videos of several other models) and while the page turn isn't exactly slow in the large scheme of things, I think that it would grate on my after awhile. I've been using my iPod Touch as an e-reader for quite some time, and I really like how fast it changes pages.
The page refresh speed of an eInk screen is a heck of a lot faster than you can turn the page of a paperback book. It really is a complete "non issue". Do you avoid paper books because of the slow speed of page turning?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I do understand how it works -- if something bothers you then it is hard to ignore it.

However, I must second Harry here. The other day I had reason to think about the 'flash' and I couldn't remember for a few seconds whether it really happened on my Kindle (of course it does). It has become so automatic that I don't even see it, and it is certainly faster than turning the page on a paper book.

MLH
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
jetBook works much faster if compare with E-ink eBook readers.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Though I own a Jetbook, I think for most of us, the flash is a non issue for general reading. I think it would be an issue if you were trying to scroll around large PDFs.

That being said, if you find it to be an issue, then, for you at least, it is an issue. I am going to add the third endorsement for the Jetbook. Provided you are content on avoiding DRM'd content, and don't mind charging it every few days as opposed to every two weeks, it is a very good option. The screen is not backlit, so there are no eye strain issues and it is very readable.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Fourth for Jetbook on pageturning merit.

As far as comparing it to paper books...I'll never quite see the logic in that comparison. I can thumb-flip through 100 pages in less than a second, slowing down just enough to the point of paragraph recognition on a given side of the leaf. This functions about as quickly as using my scroll wheel to run through pdf files at 5-10 pages per second. I can also flip back and forth between sections of text virtually instantly, and of course page flips only happen once every 2 pages when reading linearly, and the actual process of turning can be much faster than half a second anyways, unless you're the person who holds the book in one hand, and then very deliberately licks your finger once you reach the last word of a page and drag the page across (which, admittedly, is a guilty pleasure of mine from time to time sans finger-licking...gotta love that tactile response of the paper moving under the fingers).

These habits of moving quickly around books aren't exactly esoteric. Lots of people want responsiveness and more rapid intratextual navigation...and for them (self included), e-ink can be very frustrating to work with. Jetbook's got a big advantage, at least with the basic page turning. Hope they make a nicer-looking device that doesn't belong on the set of Tron in the future (admittedly it's not as bad as Kindle Gen1).
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:48 AM   #9
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
I own both a jetBook and an EB-1150. I think the EB is faster. However, the jetBook is more feature-laden and convenient for a variety of other reasons.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:46 AM   #10
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
This is where LCD devices do have it all over EInk.

If page turning speed is your primary concern I would definitely suggest the Jetbook.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:57 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are looking for an eink device for a fast page turn speed, give the Sony PRS-600 a go. It's pretty fast.

The Jetbook is a 5" instead of 6" and it does not support any DRMed formats. So if you do not strip the DRM, you won't be able to borrow library eBooks or purchase most recent eBooks (like NYT bestsellers).

If those things don't matter, then feel free to look at the Jetbook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:04 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The CyBook Opus has a nifty "fast page turn" feature: if you hold down one of the page turn buttons, it will flip through the pages with no "reflash" as fast as it can go. When you release the button, it does a reflash for a "normal" display of the page you've finished up on. This works very well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:45 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
The other day I had reason to think about the 'flash' and I couldn't remember for a few seconds whether it really happened on my Kindle (of course it does). It has become so automatic that I don't even see it, and it is certainly faster than turning the page on a paper book.
On the Kindle (at least on my K1) it only does a full refresh (flash) on every other page turn.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:48 PM   #14
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The CyBook Opus has a nifty "fast page turn" feature: if you hold down one of the page turn buttons, it will flip through the pages with no "reflash" as fast as it can go. When you release the button, it does a reflash for a "normal" display of the page you've finished up on. This works very well.
That sounds pretty cool - not sure exactly how well it would work for me but it sounds interesting.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:29 PM   #15
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Remember, e-ink devices are geared towards people who want to read books (or large amounts of text) comfortably. The display is very easy on the eyes, closer to ink-on-paper than pretty much any other electronic display.

E-ink is not good for "skimming" pages (which does not appear to be the OP's desire anyway). Nor is it very good for instant updates, and it is not the best display type for graphical content (comics, etc.) And it doesn't do motion or color. Or scroll text.

The comparison of the flash with turning a paper page makes a lot of sense and is entirely relevant with respect to the reading experience of an e-ink device. When reading a book, your eye travels to the bottom of the page. It then returns to the top of the next page while you turn it. Eyes go from bottom of old page to top of new page while page is turned--start reading. We do this unconsciously.

Pretty much the same thing happens with an e-ink device. Reach the bottom of the screen, press button, flash occurs while your eyes are going back to the top of the screen, start reading.

Now, timing may not be exact for the page turn/reflash analogy. But, as pretty much every e-ink owner has noted, the flashes "disappear" once you are actually reading. So, I would not be so concerned with viewing a video that shows a brief "black flash" of the screen, and consider more strongly the uniform reports by actual users that they never notice the flash. A slight difference in page refresh speed should not be a criterion for selecting a particular e-ink device, imo. None of them are that slow as to be distracting.

Last edited by DrMoze; 08-31-2009 at 05:29 PM.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote