Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 01:24 AM   #16
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Mark, have you asked around on Goodreads? There's a thread . . . . .
Thanks, I check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But you can go to Amazon via the web browser and purchase. Then use the app to download.
He's baiting you. You can only buy a license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
Once an author signs up with KDP they have to remove all of their books for sale in other places.
and
Quote:
It is really annoying when I finally find an eBook I want to buy and then find out the only way I can buy it is via Amazon since it's been pulled from every other place it used to be sold. This just really doesn't ingratiate the author at all. In fact, it makes me never want to ever buy from that author and if anyone recommends that author, I will do everything I can to say otherwise.
How painful taking books up and down for sale! I'd tear my hair out.

As a side issue: there has been a lot of frustration with Apple making Apple stuff compatible only with Apple stuff. The exception is iTunes for PC which is mainly for Apple device owners. This is the first thread that I've heard some serious angst about Amazon doing the same thing.

I signed up for prime. Added my credit card number so I could stream TV and movies. Rubbed my hand together and went searching for entertainment only to find out I was locked out by not having a Kindle and everything else was out of bounds due to territorial rights.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:50 AM   #17
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Wow. This:
Quote:
I had twenty-four reviews for one of my books at B&N and they disappeared when I pulled the e-book. =( It's a mixed bag.
and
Quote:
So I clicked into it, and the next day it was downloaded 500 times and it shot all the way to #1 in humor/family/relationships.

It does work.
other examples showed a huge download when they have their free three day give-away, but noone has revealed what their slice of the KDP Select kitty was.

and the following which is what I was kinda' thinking would be the case . . .

Quote:
Stephen Livingston | 7 comments It has only been going since December so just the one month so far but I've had 4 borrows and they're paying $1.70 per borrow. As my books that are enrolled are 99c short stories they are earning me more from being borrowed than they do from a sale.
Best wishes, Stephen Livingston.
Trying to get people to reveal how many borrows they got from the program compared to previous sales is difficult. Everyone reveals the massive downloads they had when Amazon plugged the book for free to everyone but how many borrows and what did you make? Our friend I just quoted made an extra $2.84

Last edited by wannabee; 02-28-2012 at 01:54 AM.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 03:10 AM   #18
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
I'm really angry against Amazon for this "Select" thing... Along with an other issue (no DRM status Display in 3 Amazon Kindle stores (FR/IT/SP), I decided to stop giving "value" to Amazon (either through buying, through reviewing, or through linking/forwarding links to books there).

It's really difficult for me to stick to that decision, since lots of potentially interesting content is available exclusively there...
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #19
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
It is really annoying when I finally find an eBook I want to buy and then find out the only way I can buy it is via Amazon since it's been pulled from every other place it used to be sold. This just really doesn't ingratiate the author at all. In fact, it makes me never want to ever buy from that author and if anyone recommends that author, I will do everything I can to say otherwise.
I took all my charged-for ones off Smashwords because the number of sales through them wasn't really worth having. It's easier to have all the money coming from one place instead of lots of different places, all with their own payout threshold and payment method. There's also the design element, the Smashwords-produced ones look a bit low rent.

Is there some problem with buying from Amazon and converting to whatever format you need that I'm not aware of?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #20
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
*sigh*

I will continue to resist. I will not be assimilated.

And I am hating KDP with every fiber of my being. I do have a kindle app but I don't own a kindle! So I am effectively cut off from buying new books by any authors participating in this program. And this makes me sad.
This makes 2 of us although I do not even have an Kindle app. I have made it a point to NOT buy from Amazon and not download anything Kindle related. I do not want to be counted as being among those who approve of Amazon's tactics when it comes to books and ebooks. I suspect that Amazon, like most other sellers, simply says "x million people are buying from us and they wouldn't buy from us if they didn't approve of what we are doing, so ABC, you best do as we say or we'll cut you off from all those buyers.)

I buy indie ebooks largely at Smashwords, although I do also buy them at Barnes & Noble and Sony. If a book shows up as exclusive at Amazon, I simply don't buy it and if it was on my wishlist, I remove it. I don't want anyone to think I approve of exclusive arrangements with monopolists or those aspiring to monopolist status.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #21
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Thanks. Maybe one day I'll live in a world where I can buy a book without having to sell my soul.

Maybe.
Maybe someday you'll live in a world where authors don't have to sell their soul to get sold.

Like Alice, one can always be hopeful, and like Dorothy, wishing may someday become reality.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #22
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Is there some problem with buying from Amazon and converting to whatever format you need that I'm not aware of?
There are two problems: (1) If you buy a book and it comes with DRM, you have to be willing and tech savvy enough to strip the DRM before converting and you have to be tech savvy enough to do the conversion. I admit that using Calibre makes conversion task easy, and although I could do as you suggest, I feel that if I have paid for a book I should be able to receive it in a format suitable to use with my device without having to do extra work.

The second problem is, I think, the more important one. (2) Doing as you suggests sends a message to Amazon that I approve of its methods. After all, all that Amazon really cares about is my money and as long as authors support Amazon by making their content exclusive to Amazon and consumers buy that content from Amazon, Amazon has no reason to change its methods.

If no one protests Amazon's growing monopoly but the only message Amazon cares about -- that is, with their pocketbook -- then Amazon will continue down the path until it is in a position to dictate everything -- from pricing (both wholesale and retail) to content and everything between. Although voices like mine are currently lonely voices, I think that will change as increasing numbers of authors and consumers discover that Amazon is not really their friend.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
If I was to buy eBooks from Amazon, I would be (in effect) telling Amazon that I approve of what they are doing. I don't approve. So the only way I can tell them no is not to give them my money. I don't buy books or eBook from Amazon. I won't until they change their ways such that it is good for everyone and not just Amazon.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-28-2012 at 09:19 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #24
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
Quote:
If I was to buy eBooks from Amazon, I would be (in effect) telling Amazon that I approve of what they are doing. I don't approve. So the only way I can tell them no is not to give them my money. I don't buy books or eBook from Amazon. I won't until they change their ways such that it is good for everyone and not just Amazon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin
I buy indie ebooks largely at Smashwords, although I do also buy them at Barnes & Noble and Sony. If a book shows up as exclusive at Amazon, I simply don't buy it and if it was on my wishlist, I remove it. I don't want anyone to think I approve of exclusive arrangements with monopolists or those aspiring to monopolist status.
Brothers ! I'm not alone !
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #25
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
As a writer and reader, my problem is with them trying to build a monopoly. Does anyone honestly think that when B&N and Smashwords close down that Amazon will still offer 65% royalties to their authors? Because I honestly do not.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #26
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
As a writer and reader, my problem is with them trying to build a monopoly. Does anyone honestly think that when B&N and Smashwords close down that Amazon will still offer 65% royalties to their authors? Because I honestly do not.
I don't think that B&N is going to shut down (not sure about Smashwords), but, even if they did, yes, I think Amazon would keep its pricing the same.

This is just like people predicting that Walmart was going to raise its prices after the local hardware store went out of busines - it didn't happen.

It doesn't happen because the barriers to entry into the market are low and if you raise prices you invite new entrants.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #27
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
You are significantly more trusting than I.

Furthermore, I think there is a difference between me buying PVC pipe from Walmart vs. McLocalGuy and buying ebooks. If everyone on earth has a Kindle and are buying through the Amazon store, no, Amazon is not going to be worried by Indie Startup that can only provide side-loaded books.

Heck, authors RIGHT NOW are happy to cut themselves out of sales for Amazon. *sigh* Do they not teach the tragedy of the commons in schools anymore??
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #28
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
You are significantly more trusting than I.

Furthermore, I think there is a difference between me buying PVC pipe from Walmart vs. McLocalGuy and buying ebooks. If everyone on earth has a Kindle and are buying through the Amazon store, no, Amazon is not going to be worried by Indie Startup that can only provide side-loaded books.

Heck, authors RIGHT NOW are happy to cut themselves out of sales for Amazon. *sigh* Do they not teach the tragedy of the commons in schools anymore??
Teach?? In...schools? What is the blasphemy you speak of?
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote