Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 05:41 AM   #136
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I think they would love to, but I am not sure they (their programmers) are THAT good with Android. No offence intended.
I Agree with you, the fact that things like ringtones and such are still floating around, looks like a rush job.

On a different note, i can not believe that Honeycomb (that will be the tablet version won't it?) would need such high specs I had rather hoped they would make it also usable on lower spec tablets.. Such a shame!

http://gizmodo.com/5723777/dual-core...roid-honeycomb

Last edited by Roos; 01-05-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:20 AM   #137
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiaig View Post
OK, it works after I "su" it.

Thanks

btw Coredump-EE, what is that widget that you have showing disc usage?
I tried to su it, but it did not work. Which exact script did you use for that Hiaig ? I think I am making a syntax mistake.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #138
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos View Post
I Agree with you, the fact that things like ringtones and such are still floating around, looks like a rush job.

On a different note, i can not believe that Honeycomb (that will be the tablet version won't it?) would need such high specs I had rather hoped they would make it also usable on lower spec tablets.. Such a shame!

http://gizmodo.com/5723777/dual-core...roid-honeycomb
1- Obviously, PB Global was faced with storing several boatloads of hardware acrueing warehousing costs while the firmware was polished or shipping the product with unfinished firmware. One way incured costs, the other brought revenue but put their brand's reputation at risk.

2- The Honeycomb requirements are merely rumors right now. Plus if you read the fine print on the rumors you'll see that what are bandied about are *optimum" specs. Just as Windows 7 can run acceptably on Netbooks but only really shines on Core-based hardware, Honeycomb might run acceptably on lower-spec hardware. But nobody should risk anoxia waiting for it. It *is* a full re-design of the product, after all.

When it comes to the IQ the most we can reasonably expect to run well is 2.2.
We *might* see 2.3 in some form but 3.0? Best not to even dream of it; disappointment lies that way.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #139
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiaig View Post
had a problem while running adb shell a2sd setup

Stuck at Use [/dev/block/mmcblk1p2] for a2sd? [Y|n]:

Cannot enter Y or n and press enter.
Same problem. Mounted as R/W. What can I change in the script ? Running this for the time being :

Quote:
adb remount
adb push a2sd /system/xbin
adb shell chmod 755 /system/xbin/a2sd
adb shell a2sd setup
adb shell reboot
Old 01-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #140
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
1- Obviously, PB Global was faced with storing several boatloads of hardware acrueing warehousing costs while the firmware was polished or shipping the product with unfinished firmware. One way incured costs, the other brought revenue but put their brand's reputation at risk.
Yeah, i guess that played a big part in everything. I do think and expect them to make a better job of the 2.2 release. That is if we see that this year
Quote:
2- The Honeycomb requirements are merely rumors right now. Plus if you read the fine print on the rumors you'll see that what are bandied about are *optimum" specs. Just as Windows 7 can run acceptably on Netbooks but only really shines on Core-based hardware, Honeycomb might run acceptably on lower-spec hardware. But nobody should risk anoxia waiting for it. It *is* a full re-design of the product, after all.
It will be out there soon enough, and without a doubt there will be attempts to make it run on everything and all, that will be fun!
Quote:
When it comes to the IQ the most we can reasonably expect to run well is 2.2.
We *might* see 2.3 in some form but 3.0? Best not to even dream of it; disappointment lies that way.
Ah well at the time that is floating around on more machines then a very few, i will without any doubt buy something new and shiny to play with, probably a tad bigger screen, and a bit flatter then the 701. Until then it is a mighty fine plaything! Such a shame i can not get Gtalk working, i am stuck now, but with a working Gmail app, and Youtube running. I am now considering to try again with a clean slate, flash it again and try the new route. But the new Firmware with DRM Support should be around the corner very soon.. Maybe better wait for that first
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #141
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coredump-EE View Post
Step one would be to set up a complete development environment and build Android from scratch for various devices. From this alone you'd learn a lot. Then you need to get comfortable enough with the environment that you can set up a build target for your desired device (ie: the IQ). The vendor will hardly help you with that
I have ADB and Eclipse with the Art plugin set up. Since I learn more easily with examples, I thought some kind of tutorial would be a great help. Isn't the Android firmware covered by the GPL? I know it doesn't guarantee anything but there is hope.

Quote:
Indeed it would. But as you said, the hardware of the IQ is pretty low-spec. Even custom firmwares will give you only so much. Maybe Pocketboot will release a good base distribution for the IQ with the next update, that can be extended upon. One can dream, right?
If we could get something like the Open Platform that the PD Novel got, it would be perfect. We need to know what is inside first.
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #142
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs 650
I think you guys are awesome
Just finished installing a2sd on my IQ and it works really well.
Now, I have almost 1GB internal memory for installing apps. That's quite enough to me, hehe. Thanks for all.

I don't know whatelse I can expect from the Froyo upgrade but still i want it much
katzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #143
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Just to add about Honeycomb, if you look t the specs of Asus's tablets announced at CES 2011 and the fact most smartphones for the next year will be close to those specs, I believe they would make sense. It would be a good way to get rid of the tablets that were released before and force the owners to buy Google-approved tablets...

As for the IQ, I understand why PB would release it with a "beta" software. They needed to recoup some of thedevelopment costs.

Do you think they would let the IQ community help them out?
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #144
aceflor
Wizard

Here is what I get:

Quote:
c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb remount
remount succeeded

c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb push a2sd /system/xbin
66 KB/s (4852 bytes in 0.071s)

c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell chmod 755 /system/xbin/a2sd

c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell a2sd setup

a2sd for Pocketbook IQ (f/w 2.0.3) v0.0.1

Use [/dev/block/mmcblk0p2] for a2sd? [Y|n]:
then I can't enter anything anymore.

Where am I being particulary daft today ? (I'd rather fjtorres not answer that one, I know he already thinks I am utterly stupid thank you very much)
Old 01-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #145
Fellball
Wizard
Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: K3,K4,PB360,PB360+,PB701-IQ und noch diverse andere Lesegeräte....
Quote:
Here is what I get:

then I can't enter anything anymore.

Where am I being particulary daft today ? (I'd rather fjtorres not answer that one, I know he already thinks I am utterly stupid thank you very much)
Try "adb shell"
"su"
"a2sd setup"

edit: without the quotation marks

Last edited by Fellball; 01-05-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Fellball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #146
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos View Post
But the new Firmware with DRM Support should be around the corner very soon.. Maybe better wait for that first
That's what I'm doing.
And waiting to see if somebody rolls up the hacks into one automated idiot-proof script like they did for the NookColor.

Yeah, I'm lazy!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #147
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellball View Post
Try "adb shell"
"su"
"a2sd setup"

edit: without the quotation marks
Thanks for that. In the mean time I went step by step and managed to install a2sd, and have the feeling it is working but it does not appear anywhere so I can't access the configs for it (if there are such, having no other android device I would not know). I don't even want to calculate the amount of time I spent with this...
Old 01-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #148
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Uh, no I don't.
This is a pretty literate place to hang out and I have no issues with anybody.
Everybody gets a braincramp now and again.
I certainly do.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #149
Coredump-EE
Connoisseur
Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook IQ
Quote:
Thanks for that. In the mean time I went step by step and managed to install a2sd, and have the feeling it is working but it does not appear anywhere so I can't access the configs for it (if there are such, having no other android device I would not know). I don't even want to calculate the amount of time I spent with this...
Yeah, "adb shell setup" does not work as it won't accept keyboard input.
There is no additional configuration. Well, you can temporarily disable it via
adb shell disable and re-enable it with adb shell enable .
And reinstall an installed partition with adb shell setup.
Coredump-EE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #150
NicolasR
Addict
NicolasR has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NicolasR has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NicolasR has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NicolasR has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NicolasR has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:

Step 4 (Enable Market)
Thank you so much, Coredump-EE, it works now !

The trick was with the build.prop.

Thank you very much.

Got to learn about apps2sd, now…

BTW, I wonder if it would be possible to buy apps in the Market…

Last edited by NicolasR; 01-05-2011 at 12:47 PM.
NicolasR is offline   Reply With Quote