Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 03:29 AM   #1
Danariel
Enthusiast
Danariel is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
Amazon's Customer Service ROCKS!

I have had my Kindle 2 just over a year (purchased it on March 31th, 2009, received it April 2nd, 2009), so the warranty is expired. I took it to the pool with me Saturday morning, and to my horror, experienced the sun-fade issue. I could have sworn that when I first received it last year, I took it to the pool and had no issues...though I did have it in a waterproof bag.

Not expecting much, but hoping, I called Amazon Kindle Support. The rep I spoke with (Dave O.) was knowledgeable, and most importantly, accommodating! My experience with Amazon was everything I had hoped (and nothing that I feared.)

My new (probably refurbed) Kindle 2 will be here June 3rd, and this just reinforces my satisfaction with my beloved Kindle, and my decision to purchase one for my Mom for Mother's day. Amazon's willingness to go above and beyond the legal requirements to keep a customer happy, with no squeaky wheel action on my part, certainly lends itself well to making them the "Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company."
Danariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:33 AM   #2
jlinden
Connoisseur
jlinden began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle DX, Sony TS-1, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox M96
I also have a very good experience with them. I bought a book which I didn't like (sample was not usefull) and I got it returned without a problem. For an electronic file I think this is quite something!
jlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Yes, if they would just tell us the truth about 2.5, they would be perfect!!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
Danariel
Enthusiast

I play a lot of computer RPGs. When it comes to release dates, lots of times we get "It'll be done when it's done!"

Personally, I'd rather they roll it out for good AFTER they have all the tweaks and minor fixes done to it. I'd rather update once and have it right than have to do this all again to fix something they broke or that didn't work as intended.

Sorry, Sydney's Mom, I know how eagerly you and everyone else is awaiting this update (so am I) but I'd rather it be delayed to get it right.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:56 AM   #5
freezer2k
Enthusiast
freezer2k doesn't litterfreezer2k doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 intl.
True, however I don't get their 'beta-testing' System.

Just rolling it out to apparently random users. So maybe some old woman has now problems with this beta version. Why would Amazon risk making people beta-testers who don't want to be? On the other hand lots of people who want it don't get it.

Best solution would be just have a beta section at the Update page with some disclaimer about the risks etc.

No tech-noob would ever download those .bin files, they would save wireless-bandwidth and have a lot more people testing it who know what they are doing....

I don't believe this decision was made by software devs @ Amazon ...
freezer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
So maybe some old woman has now problems with this beta version.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
shall we not confuse the software division with the customer service folks? hmmm?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Customer service was the department that told one user that we would all get 2.5 by month's end. As I said - tell the truth, not deliver the upgrade. If CS is being lied to by the developers, that is Amazon's problem, and I don't want to be in the middle of it.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:23 AM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
*shrug* they can only work with what they are told
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:29 AM   #10
LesleyO
Voracious Reader
LesleyO began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezer2k View Post
(snip) So maybe some old woman has now problems with this beta version.(snip)
Wow, freezxer2k, I resemble that remark!!! I might be old enough to be your grandmother, but I was programming a C64 in the early 80s. So I had no problem with 2.5 when I got it over a month ago. As for "bugs," there weren't any noticeable ones, but I do think Amazon may have made a few improvements. Of course, we "old women" who were the beta testers won't know until we get the refreshed version....
LesleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezer2k View Post
No tech-noob would ever download those .bin files, they would save wireless-bandwidth and have a lot more people testing it who know what they are doing....
Given that very many Kindle users are relative "tech noobs" it is probably quite useful to get early feedback from that significant portion of the user base. People that frequent forums like this (some of us "old") have a different use pattern and perspective -- valuable as well, but not exclusively.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesleyO View Post
Wow, freezxer2k, I resemble that remark!!! I might be old enough to be your grandmother, but I was programming a C64 in the early 80s. So I had no problem with 2.5 when I got it over a month ago. As for "bugs," there weren't any noticeable ones, but I do think Amazon may have made a few improvements. Of course, we "old women" who were the beta testers won't know until we get the refreshed version....
Be sure to keep the email they send you saying they received your old Kindle. The reason I say this is because last year I had to return one of mine due to a broken "next page" button. I returned my old one and got an email notification so I filed it with all of my other Amazon receipts. Fast forward a year and I wake up one day to 369.00 missing from my account. Amazon sent me an email saying they were charging me for the device I never returned plus shipping. I was furious.
I then spent the next several hours being passed around and put on hold and then I finally spoke with someone who listened to me when I told him about the email they sent in regards to the returned Kindle. he said he cleared up the issue and that my money would be returned in 48 hours. I was ticked that it was going to take 48 hours but I was relieved I was getting my money back. Well 72 hours pass and I still do not have my money back. I get on the phone and deal with several more yahoos working at Amazon.
This was infuriating me, especially when one claimed that even though the transaction number of the recent email matched the transaction number of the old email the new email was wrong and that it referred to a Kindle I had returned in March. when I informed him that I did no such thing and he could easily tell that the SNs of the kindles I have now registered have been registered for over a year. He calmly said that I was mistaken and I had indeed returned a Kindle. I asked to be transfered to someone else. That person was easier to talk to but I nearly lost it when he said it would take two weeks to get my money back. He transfered me to someone else who said I would get my money back in 48 hours. I got it back in 24, but I am hoping I never have a problem with my Kindle because I will never return it and it will be the last one I buy.
I was going to get my father one for Father's day but I think I will go with getting him a Sony or a Nook instead. I am glad they were able to help you out and they were fantastic to me when I first had the problem a year ago. Heck they even had the replacement Kindle at my door the next day. But as you can see I am still a little bitter after this fiasco.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:18 AM   #13
LesleyO
Voracious Reader
LesleyO began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikar View Post
Be sure to keep the email they send you saying they received your old Kindle. (huge snip)
Beg pardon? I didn't send them a Kindle!

This was my post, that you "responded" to....

Originally Posted by LesleyO
"Wow, freezxer2k, I resemble that remark!!! I might be old enough to be your grandmother, but I was programming a C64 in the early 80s. So I had no problem with 2.5 when I got it over a month ago. As for "bugs," there weren't any noticeable ones, but I do think Amazon may have made a few improvements. Of course, we "old women" who were the beta testers won't know until we get the refreshed version...."

Nothing at all in it about sending CS a Kindle, sorry!
LesleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:29 AM   #14
Danariel
Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure he meant me.

Thanks for the advice. I've only gotten 1 email from them, and I sent back 2 Kindles. I've checked both tracking numbers, and they both arrived and were signed for at the same time. I'll keep an eye on my charges!