Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-12-2012, 03:40 AM   #1
Maegara01
Maegara01 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I don't want another Kindle.

Gadgets don't last very long around me - I'm already using a decal to hide numerous cracks in my Kindle 3's bezel. When this one gives out, I don't want to get another Kindle, as I don't like the way that Amazon's taking them.

So, I'd like to buy a backup device. I'd get a used Kindle 2, but I want to stick with the Pearl screen - I know I'd get used to the worse contrast of a K2 if nothing else floats my boat, though. If not a used K2, then the Sony PRS-T1 (or whatever they introduce next, provided it's still e-ink) is where I'm leaning. I want the opinions of others, though. What should my backup device be?

Ideally:

- SD card slot (yes, I have that many books - thank PG for that).
- Side-loading capability
- Buttons on the sides for page turning
- Pearl eInk

Indifferent towards:

- Touch screens
- Wi-fi/3G/any sort of Internet connectivity
- Annotations and TTS

Opposed to:

- Colour
- LCD
- This fabled "front lighting"

What do you guys think?

(Oh, ETA that I'm in Australia - so I think this rules out a certain eReader? I don't remember which one. Or even if that's an accurate assumption.)
Maegara01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:14 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The problem is that virtually all other devices use ePub, not Mobipocket, so if you get something other than a Kindle, you'll have to convert all your books from Mobi to ePub. That can certainly be done, but for a large number of books it's a fair amount of work.

If you do want an ePub device, I'd suggest something like the Sony PRS-T1. It meets all your requirements. But I'd honestly suggest that you reconsider your decision to move away from the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
Maegara01
Maegara01 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm not too bothered about converting the books to ePub - converting non-DRM stuff to .mobi was easy enough, so I'm certainly patient enough to go to the other way with them. It's the stripping of the DRM that is probably going to give me a headache, but it will be worth it. :P

I'm thinking the PRS-T1 is the closest to what I want, too. Why do you think I should reconsider moving away from the Kindle? I really don't like the new Kindles at all, and I'm disappointed in the Kindle 3 not having an SD slot as it is.
Maegara01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:36 AM   #4
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Given that you're in Oz, the closest thing I can think of the aforementioned Sony.

The other thing, if you weren't in Australia, would be the Nook, which is probably what you were thinking of. They don't have international support.

If you don't like the Kindle and you don't mind the work of conversation, then switch.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:07 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maegara01 View Post
I'm thinking the PRS-T1 is the closest to what I want, too. Why do you think I should reconsider moving away from the Kindle? I really don't like the new Kindles at all, and I'm disappointed in the Kindle 3 not having an SD slot as it is.
Because I think personally that the Kindle Touch is an excellent reader. But I appreciate that tastes differ in these things. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the Sony.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2012, 05:59 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I just set a relative up with a PRS-T1, and it seemed great.

Conversion's not work; if all your books are in Calibre, you just select all and start it converting, and it does all the work in the background. (I converted over 900 books in one go this morning.)

Enjoy your new reader, and maybe consider a case as a bit of armour against the slings and arrows?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maegara01 View Post
It's the stripping of the DRM that is probably going to give me a headache, but it will be worth it. :P
Google Apprentice Alf and you'll find tools that really help with the headache.

If you're not using it already, Calibre is an excellent tool for adjusting metadata and organizing books on the Sony.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Kobo is a less expensive option in Australia. I don't know if it has an SD slot though or about the buttons. I don't think I have ever seen a Kobo... I do know from many poeples postings that they are a solid enough device and that they are less expensive than Sony's and Kindles.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Yes, all the Kobos have an SD slot, expandable to 32 Gb. I have a T1, but have tried out the Kobo Wifi; there are some things on the Kobo I'd like on the T1 and vice versa, but given the price differential, I'd go for the Kobo if I was buying today. As the OP isn't bothered about a touchscreen and is thinking of the new device as a backup, I'd say the cheapest Kobo would fit the bill.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote