Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-19-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Looking for L. Ron Hubbard

I am trying to find the Mission Earth series and Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard. They are for sale of course for the Kindle and secure Mobi. Any Ideas?
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Sony doesn't have any Hubbard titles for sale. Fictionwise does, but, as you say, they are only in Mobipocket and other non-Sony-friendly formats. Sorry.

By the way, this section (E-Book Uploads) of the forum is for uploading ebooks to our repository. Please post questions like this elsewhere at MobileRead. No harm, though, a moderator will move it (please).
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Sorry, I thought this section was for sharing and requesting books.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Looks like the only choices are buy the Mobi, then un-DRM them & convert or hit the darknet for copies. Or contact Galaxy Press and ask them to offer their books in more formats.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't much care for the other ideas, but I do like the idea of contacting the publisher. As I recall there were several people here who have asked about Hubbard's scifi novels by people who are willing to pay for them but can't because no one has them for the Sony Readers (that would be Sony). If the publisher would get off the dime, maybe Sony would sell them and the publisher could earn their keep. Jerry, would you mind emailing Galaxy Press and express your interest? If you can't find their email address you might just drop them a note here: http://www.galaxypress.com//contact_us.php. Wouldn't hurt to let Sony know, too.
Advert
Old 06-20-2008, 12:58 AM   #6
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

I contacted the publisher awhile back and was told they would be offered on the kindle, Maybe if enough PRS 505 enthusiasts contacted them, They may rethink that.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:05 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would contact them. But as I have read Battlefield Earth and hated it and read some of the Mission Earth series and disliked it, I can't see putting others through the same misery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:13 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

jerry if you live in a place such as the USA where it's legal to remove the DRm, then you can purchase these Hubbard eBook from BooksOnBoard in MS Reader format and use ConvertLIT to remove the DRM and them use Calibre to convert to LRF.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

JSWolf,
I have only found them for the Kindle and Secure Mobi, I found a couple in Secure Adobe.

P.S. I dont know that it is Legal to remove DRM in the U.S.
JJ
Old 06-20-2008, 10:04 AM   #10
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Jerry, try again here: http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...0378&v=details

You'll see as Jon suggested that they're available in LIT (Microsoft Reader) format.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:02 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The ruling is that if the read aloud feature is disabled due to DRM, then it is OK to remove the DRM so the read aloud function works. MS Reader has a read aloud function. The DRM turns that off. So removing the DRM is legal in this case. Once the DRM is gone, Clibre or Book Designer can help in converting. Though given how large these books are, I'd go with Calibre for a much easier conversion.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The ruling is that if the read aloud feature is disabled due to DRM, then it is OK to remove the DRM so the read aloud function works.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, Jon, but this exemption to the DMCA is for disabled people. If you are not disabled, can you really claim that the exemption applies to you?

This has never been tested in court, as far as I know, so to make categorical statements about it is a little misleading; it can be no more than an opinion, even if an "informed" one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:52 AM   #13
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Jerry, try again here: http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...0378&v=details

You'll see as Jon suggested that they're available in LIT (Microsoft Reader) format.
I will check them out, However after a little more research than I would have cared to do I found them all for MS Reader at Powells.com, I guess I should have started at the source Microsoft has a MS reader index that will link you to the retailer for the book.

Now my only other question to clear up is the Conversion. I use convertlit to De-Drm the book then calibre to convert to LRF. Is there a difference in MS reader and Secure MS reader or is that just the way retailers list the same format?
Old 06-21-2008, 03:56 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are a number of book formats which can come with or without DRM, including MobiPocket and Microsoft Reader. The seller should tell you whether or not the book that you're interested in has DRM or not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:56 AM   #15
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would contact them. But as I have read Battlefield Earth and hated it and read some of the Mission Earth series and disliked it, I can't see putting others through the same misery.
JS,
it has been years since I have read either and maybe my memory isnt as good as it used to be. I only made it half way thru the Mission Earth Series, but BattleField Earth seem to move along pretty good. The Sad thing is I have the entire set in PaperBack at Home. I think I will be spending a fortune re-reading some of my favorites.