Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
Kunati
Publisher
Kunati began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad, Sony Reader and PalmOne
New Member, Publisher who Uses Ereaders at Work

We lurked invisibly in this forum for some time. Your lively discussions helped us decide on our final reading devices for our Publishing Company. We were buried in paper (5,000 submissions in 6 months at our two offices!) and worse we had to shred every document, whether we acquired or not (most authors don't enclose postage for return, too expensive, and they submit copyrighted material, so shredding is a must for recycling). Plus, well, enviromental concerns, in our case. Yes, we publish paper books (and ebooks -- but 99% of our sales are hardcover books) but we didn't need to add to recycling boxes with manuscript papers. At least books are "keepers" on book shelves.

So, I was assigned the job of acquiring the right "reader." It was easy for us, because we're using professionally. The 8" screen of the Iliad is necessary for eye-weary editors. We were acquiring many, however, so this became a big cost. Still, eye-strain versus lower cost options. Iliad won out. We haven't had them long, but they're a big hit! I thought I join here and occasionally submit our reviews of the Iliads from various editors. We will use our readers more than most people, since in acquisition mode our editors might be on their reader 8 hours a day, or more. We even annotate when something critical in a manuscript requires a "reminder." For actual editing, though, of course, we use our computers (30" screens to mitigate eystrain again) or paper. But we edit 30 books a year this way, read a few thousand -- which makes the Iliad perfect. When Iliad comes out with a 10" screen -- I assume they will -- we'd go for that.

For personal use, I also have the Sony Reader, and the PalmOne with 4gb microdrive (which I've used for personal reading for a couple years or less -- perhaps read 200 books on the Palm One.

GOOD TO BE HERE. HELLO EVERYONE!
Kunati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Derek, welcome to MobileRead! Always good to have people here from the "other side" of the book business. Interesting to read about your experiences with the iLiad - having recently got one myself I know exactly what you mean about the screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you are happy with your e-ink based readers. if you have any questions, don't hesitate to jump in ans ask.

If you are going to be publishing ebooks, I do hope you'll publish in formats that the the Sony Reader and iLiad can read.

What I am waiting for is a reader that has the 16 shades vizplex and 10" so it'll handle paper sized PDF just fine and have a nice high-resolution.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
Kunati
Publisher

Thanks Jon,

We're releasing our books Mobipocket, Adobe Reader and Microsoft Reader--so far. We'll gladly release in others that support DRM (we do have to protect our authors!), but we're pricing even new releases (even books newly released in hardcover/cloth) at below paper prices. Sony we're looking into. There's a little more "work" to distribute through Sony it seems. Best, Derek
Old 08-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #5
Kunati
Publisher

Hi Harry, thanks for the welcome. You mean there are "sides?" (Kidding).
Advert
Old 08-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunati View Post
Thanks Jon,

We're releasing our books Mobipocket, Adobe Reader and Microsoft Reader--so far. We'll gladly release in others that support DRM (we do have to protect our authors!), but we're pricing even new releases (even books newly released in hardcover/cloth) at below paper prices. Sony we're looking into. There's a little more "work" to distribute through Sony it seems. Best, Derek
Too bad it has to have DRM. Otherwise, you could release and LRF (BBeB without DRM) formatted book.

But if you do decide not to release a Sony Reader version, I could deal with the MS Reader version easily enough.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Sony we're looking into. There's a little more "work" to distribute through Sony it seems.
I'm curious. Is the extra effort format related or is it something about the way Sony CONNECT structures its distribution?
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:32 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
I'm curious. Is the extra effort format related or is it something about the way Sony CONNECT structures its distribution?
I read someplace that Sony uses a third party to do the formatting and the publisher has to pay for this formatting.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:53 AM   #9
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Quote:
We'll gladly release in others that support DRM (we do have to protect our authors!)
Is that really true? Baen thinks otherwise. It may be true for ebook only releases, but for combined ebook and paper book releases it definitely earns money.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote