Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 07-26-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Which hardboiled detective stories should I start with?

There are so many hardboiled/noir detective books posted now (thanks Dr Drib!) But I'm not sure which ones I should start with. Any suggestions?

I'm looking for something that's not too dark, but fun and adventurous and a relatively light and easy read. It should be a story that carries me along instead of one that I have to work my way through. Long is okay if it's fun to read. Hard to describe because everyone has different ideas of what's fun to read, but I think people might be able to make suggestions for me based on this much.

So.. Where should I start?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You may wish to try the "Philo Vance" series by S.S. van Dyne. This is a series of 12 books, but they can just as well be read individually. I posted them as separate books - I believe that Jon subsequently reposted them as two 6-book omnibus versions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You may wish to try the "Philo Vance" series by S.S. van Dyne. This is a series of 12 books, but they can just as well be read individually. I posted them as separate books - I believe that Jon subsequently reposted them as two 6-book omnibus versions.
Not yet. Been busy actually reading. But I will get back to work on them next week.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've started with Room to Swing. It's fun so far, even though not quite what I had expected. I'll try Philo Vance later, which is good because the omnibus should be ready by then also. (I'm not a very fast reader, so unless I can spend large chuncks of time, it takes me a while to get through books - especially when I'm reading multiple books at one time!)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #5
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
A while back I posted a note about Hard Case Crime (http://www.hardcasecrime.com/). I contacted the publisher as only one of their books (the Stephen King one) is available electronically.

The publisher said they didn't have the demand yet to do electronic versions, but were 'open' to comments from potential customers.

Nice selection of pulp/noir/hardboiled detective fiction. I've read several in paper. Some are reprints, some are current, all have 50ish type covers.

So, if the publisher gets more e-mail...
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert