Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Size Matters! Discussion about 8-10 inch readers

Let's discuss the option for those of us who want a reader for academic type literature that requires a large screen.

Quality, speed, availability and general impressions.

Right now I am interested in the Pock
Pocketbook Color Lux and the Jetbook Pro.
But what else is available?

Ectaco Jetbook Color

Last edited by martienne; 07-27-2013 at 08:45 AM.
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Is color necessary? I have neither seen a Jetbook Pro nor a Pocketbook Color in real but reading some reports here the color display seems not to be very convincing.

One possibility is to wait a little bit and see if Sony produces its 13" and how useful it will be. It "could" arrive by the end of this year. But it is black and white only, not color.
The discussion about it you can find here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=213019

Last edited by Billi; 07-27-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Is color necessary?
No actually....
It's definitely nice, and I prefer it. But if it's between a problematic product with colour and a flawless product without, I'd go with the flawless...
Old 07-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
No actually....
It's definitely nice, and I prefer it. But if it's between a problematic product with colour and a flawless product without, I'd go with the flawless...
There is no flawless in the E-Ink world. Everybody seems to get something annoyingly wrong. It seems to me that you have to find the device that annoys you the least, rather than implements some quality the best.

Last edited by rkomar; 07-27-2013 at 01:30 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
At the moment, Black and White readers are superior to Washed-out-colored ereaders for academic purposes. Still some may have use for colored screens such as for viewing diagrams. If you are interested in color, my vote is for pocketbook for superior firmware

By the way, When i saw the topic i thought discussion was going to be on preferred Screen size for large ereaders. I feel 9.7 inch is small and 13.3 would be a bit large. I want to see a 11-12 inch ereader in the market.

Last edited by Feher; 07-28-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I'm a researcher and use an iPad for reading and annotating all my academic literature. I just find it a much better tool for academic work than e-ink readers. I love e-ink for non work related reading, though.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
At the moment, Black and White readers are superior to Washed-out-colored ereaders for academic purposes. Still some may have use for colored screens such as for viewing diagrams. If you are interested in color, my vote is for pocketbook for superior firmware

By the way, When i saw the topic i thought discussion was going to be on preferred Screen size for large ereaders. I feel 9.7 inch is small and 13.3 would be a bit large. I want to see a 11-12 inch ereader in the market.
I just didn't think that anything bigger than 10 inch was available, with e-ink.

If it is, would you tell me the make please?

As for making a 13 inch reader for E-ink: My impression is that this would mean slow graphics, books taking minutes to load and new pages flickering whileloading. That's apparently the issue with those large readers that are on sale in Russia - forgot the make. There are some rather offputting reviews on Youtube, suggesting that they simply don't put fast enough hardware into the large-screen devices. In order to perform flawlessly they need better spec components. E-ink screens just take more power to generate the output, I guess!

I guess the market just isn't big enough to create a real a la carte model that BOTH has a large screen, AND fast components.

I'd certainly be willing to pay what it costs, but it seems I am in the minority. Most people want a budget device and it's hard to produce quality large screen e-ink cheaply.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
I'm a researcher and use an iPad for reading and annotating all my academic literature. I just find it a much better tool for academic work than e-ink readers. I love e-ink for non work related reading, though.
This is exactly the spot in which I am.
I need a larger screen to read PDFs - and an iPad works. It's not just screen size though - I would not use e-ink for this because I need fast scrolling and flexibility in handling annotations.

I use a Kindle PW for everything else - newspapers and fiction. I would prefer a slightly larger screen (I was in love with my PRS950, until it died), but it's not a big deal.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
I just didn't think that anything bigger than 10 inch was available, with e-ink.

If it is, would you tell me the make please?

As for making a 13 inch reader for E-ink: My impression is that this would mean slow graphics, books taking minutes to load and new pages flickering whileloading. That's apparently the issue with those large readers that are on sale in Russia - forgot the make. There are some rather offputting reviews on Youtube, suggesting that they simply don't put fast enough hardware into the large-screen devices. In order to perform flawlessly they need better spec components. E-ink screens just take more power to generate the output, I guess!

I guess the market just isn't big enough to create a real a la carte model that BOTH has a large screen, AND fast components.

I'd certainly be willing to pay what it costs, but it seems I am in the minority. Most people want a budget device and it's hard to produce quality large screen e-ink cheaply.
I was referring to Sony 13.3 inch eink reader to be released in 2014:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=213019

As for large screen ereaders being slow: I don't think the same way. I assume the process of loading the graphics is parallel or simultaneous, though it will consume more power
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would have loved a 10 inch e-reader that could handle PDFs well when I was in grad school. I had two full size filing cabinets full of journal articles and the like that I could have read on an e-reader. The books I could have downloaded. The freedom to go home for the summer with only one suitcase and all of my reading material at my fingertips.

(sigh)

Heck, I would have been thrilled with a tablet.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #11
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.

Re the 13 inch Sony: Well stuff like this is ALWAYS late, isn't it? Or if it's on time, it's full of bugs. I don't think anything will come of this until late 2014, so I will buy before then. After a few months with a 9.7 inch I should be able to determine if how useful 13" would actually be.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #12
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I use a 10.4" Fujitsu Stylistic w/ daylight-viewable Transflective display, and despair of finding a suitable replacement.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #13
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
Agreed.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote