Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #31
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadenfroh View Post
I don't see how a card slot would jack the price up much.
Manufacturing costs are just the start. Support costs have to be factored in also—lots of issues come up with removable storage.

I expect another reason is that they want to leave an option to add essentially identical models in the future with different memory specs to achieve different price points and profit margins, like Apple does with iPod Touch. But they want to sell the #*$& out of this one first.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:33 AM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I expect another reason is that they want to leave an option to add essentially identical models in the future with different memory specs to achieve different price points and profit margins, like Apple does with iPod Touch. But they want to sell the #*$& out of this one first.
They'll sell a lot of them, but lack of a card slot means I won't be one of those buyers.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:41 AM   #33
goggin
Enthusiast
goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: kindle
You can get an external battery pack for long trips.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...y+pack&x=0&y=0

We use one for our portable DVD player to amuse my grandson on long trips and it works great. Most of the time it sits in a drawer, but we do use it a few times a year and those times make it well worth the price and trouble to carry an extra device.
goggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #34
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
not really. it wont leave home.
Yep. Not worried at all. I'll use it mostly around the house or occasionally out and about.

My Xoom works fine and have never so far run out of batter while out and about. I generally leave the charger at home.

given that I can charge it from USB (unlike the Xoom), I'm even less concerned.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #35
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
They'll sell a lot of them, but lack of a card slot means I won't be one of those buyers.
I don't see that as a problem at all. I've yet to run out of built in storage on any of my portable devices - Xoom, DroidX, Sony 505, Kindle2....

Life is Good!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #36
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I think the OP raises a good point. I'd prefer to see something with a longer battery life. I don't think 8 hours is horrible, but it's not great either.

I'm still on the fence in trying to decide if I should buy one. However, I have to say that the battery life isn't my biggest concern. I'd like to use it for browsing the web, and the 7" is my biggest concern. Yet, at $200 it is certainly priced right.
Go for it! I have high hopes for this device. (unless of course you want to wait on the big 10" available next year).
Old 10-11-2011, 05:21 AM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I don't see that as a problem at all. I've yet to run out of built in storage on any of my portable devices - Xoom, DroidX, Sony 505, Kindle2....

Life is Good!
It'll be a problem for me, because I'd use it the same way I use my iPod touch - streaming, videos, audiobooks, games. I'm currently using 12GB on my touch.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #38
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It'll be a problem for me, because I'd use it the same way I use my iPod touch - streaming, videos, audiobooks, games. I'm currently using 12GB on my touch.
I certainly couldn't load my entire mp3 library on it, but I wouldn't want or expect to.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #39
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I certainly couldn't load my entire mp3 library on it, but I wouldn't want or expect to.
I don't have any MP3s loaded on my iPod touch or my Nook Color. When I want to listen to music on those devices, I stream it off of internet radio. I keep my MP3s loaded on my Sansa Clip+.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #40
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Go for it! I have high hopes for this device. (unless of course you want to wait on the big 10" available next year).
there's a 10" one coming out? hmm...wonder how much it'll sell for. but i'm really hoping for better battery life
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #41
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
there's a 10" one coming out? hmm...wonder how much it'll sell for. but i'm really hoping for better battery life
Yes, the rumors are saying a 10" version of the Kindle Fire early next year...but these are just rumors....
Old 10-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #42
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Yes, the rumors are saying a 10" version of the Kindle Fire early next year...but these are just rumors....
And so was the 7" 3 weeks ago.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #43
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXSendai View Post
And so was the 7" 3 weeks ago.
Yeppers.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #44
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Just got off a chat with Kindle customer service. Obviously this battery won't be user-replaceable. But they also have not yet set a price/policy on changing batteries when they need it.

Much like Barnes and Noble who still hasn't set that policy (though at least batteries can be had through 3rd parties and replacement is not supposed to be too difficult).

I know these batteries last for a few years, but I am always taken aback that the assumption is you will just replace the device. I realize Amazon isn't going anywhere, but still this irks me.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #45
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
at $200 it is certainly priced right.

When I clicked through, I was offered an Amazon Visa card and $50 off, so I paid only $149 for mine.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote