Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #91
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 + Story HD + Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
sure, i just finished your very well written list of step-by-step instructions, here are the results:
Thank you, alan. I expected some error conditions are in the log, but there are none. The big difference between mine and yours is that, in your log, there is no signs that Windows Explorer requested a thumbnail at all. It is consistent with the observation that you don't see the thumbnail, but it doesn't help what's happening inside.

Other difference I see is that the log contains no signs on extracting book title and author. During the test procedure, when you clicked on the .azw file, it is expected that the status area of the Explorer window shows the book title and author. Did you noticed that?
Alissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:09 AM   #92
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool i'll try again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alissa View Post
Thank you, alan. I expected some error conditions are in the log, but there are none. The big difference between mine and yours is that, in your log, there is no signs that Windows Explorer requested a thumbnail at all. It is consistent with the observation that you don't see the thumbnail, but it doesn't help what's happening inside.

Other difference I see is that the log contains no signs on extracting book title and author. During the test procedure, when you clicked on the .azw file, it is expected that the status area of the Explorer window shows the book title and author. Did you noticed that?
let me do it again tomorrow, i believe that the clicking may be an issue. you see i set it to single-click to open and just hover to select, so i didn't actually click on the icon (it indicated it selected it because it became highlighted when i hovered). anyway i'll re-do it tomorrow and set it to double-click to open and single-click to select. ok?
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #93
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Youse guyz are so SMRT.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #94
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
let me do it again tomorrow, i believe that the clicking may be an issue. you see i set it to single-click to open and just hover to select, so i didn't actually click on the icon (it indicated it selected it because it became highlighted when i hovered). anyway i'll re-do it tomorrow and set it to double-click to open and single-click to select. ok?
here it is:

0a44:09d0:MobiHandler 1.1.1266
0a44:09d0:0001:CClassFactoryBase
0a44:09d0:0001:QueryInterface:{00000001-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}:IClassFactory
0a44:09d0:0001:CreateInstance
0a44:09d0:0002:MobiHandler
0a44:09d0:0002:QueryInterface:{886D8EEB-8CF2-4446-8D02-CDBA1DBDCF99}:IPropertyStore
0a44:09d0:0001:~CClassFactoryBase
0a44:09d0:0002:QueryInterface:{886D8EEB-8CF2-4446-8D02-CDBA1DBDCF99}:IPropertyStore
0a44:09d0:0002:QueryInterface:{B824B49D-22AC-4161-AC8A-9916E8FA3F7F}:IInitializeWithStream
0a44:09d0:0002:Initialize(IStream *, DWORD)
0a44:09d0:0003:MobiBook(stream)
0a44:09d0:0002:QueryInterface:{71604B0F-97B0-4764-8577-2F13E98A1422}unsupported)
0a44:09d0:0002:QueryInterface:{C8E2D566-186E-4D49-BF41-6909EAD56ACC}:IPropertyStoreCapabilities
0a44:09d0:0002:GetValue:{7A55582B-BD8C-4475-B94C-B87A388A7899} 100 (System.StatusIcons)
0a44:09d0:0003:~MobiBook
0a44:09d0:0002:~MobiHandler
0a44:0e50:Finalizing module
Old 06-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #95
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you again, alan. Unfortunately, there are no significant differences...

I thhink it's my turn to think what's happening. Please be patient for a while; I'm off from home now and can do just a little.

Alissa
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #96
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool you're welcome

Quote:
Thank you again, alan. Unfortunately, there are no significant differences...

I thhink it's my turn to think what's happening. Please be patient for a while; I'm off from home now and can do just a little.

Alissa
you're quite welcome. no problem, take your time. i'm glad to be of some help.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #97
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool ..bump..

...bump...
Old 06-25-2011, 01:20 AM   #98
Alissa
Connoisseur

Well, I'm recovering slowly...
Old 06-25-2011, 01:39 AM   #99
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool good

Quote:
Well, I'm recovering slowly...
it's good to see you active on the forum again.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:52 AM   #100
Alissa
Connoisseur

A diagnostic tool to collect registry settings for MobiHandler

Hi, all. I'm back.

I still see some unsuccessful test reports of MobiHandler, that I'm not sure what's wrong with. Hoping I can better understand the situations, I wrote a small diagnostic program to report Registry settings that are related to MobiHandler operations.

Those who are having trouble running MobiHandler, can you please download and run the attached program and show me the report it generates?

Please download the file ascertainer-20110718.zip that is attached to this message, expand it, and run the contained exe file. It doesn't need any installation; you can run it directly in any folder. Please make sure, however, that it should be run after installing the MobiHandler. It takes about a minutes to generate a report.

When completed, the message changes to "Done." from "Scanning..." Then, click on the word "here" to show the report. You can copy-and-paste the report here, if it is short, or you can use "Save As..." and upload it as an attachment. (The report is created in your temporary folder with a name "report.txt" by the way.)

Another attachment, ascertainer-20110718-src.zip, contains the source files of ascertainer.exe. You don't need it unless you are a programmer and want to know what it does.

-- Alissa
Attached Files
File Type: zip ascertainer-20110718-src.zip (9.9 KB, 230 views)
File Type: zip ascertainer-20110718.zip (57.0 KB, 280 views)
Old 07-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #101
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool ok, here it is

Quote:
Hi, all. I'm back.

I still see some unsuccessful test reports of MobiHandler, that I'm not sure what's wrong with. Hoping I can better understand the situations, I wrote a small diagnostic program to report Registry settings that are related to MobiHandler operations.

Those who are having trouble running MobiHandler, can you please download and run the attached program and show me the report it generates?

Please download the file ascertainer-20110718.zip that is attached to this message, expand it, and run the contained exe file. It doesn't need any installation; you can run it directly in any folder. Please make sure, however, that it should be run after installing the MobiHandler. It takes about a minutes to generate a report.

When completed, the message changes to "Done." from "Scanning..." Then, click on the word "here" to show the report. You can copy-and-paste the report here, if it is short, or you can use "Save As..." and upload it as an attachment. (The report is created in your temporary folder with a name "report.txt" by the way.)

Another attachment, ascertainer-20110718-src.zip, contains the source files of ascertainer.exe. You don't need it unless you are a programmer and want to know what it does.

-- Alissa
welcome back. here you go:
Attached Files
File Type: txt report.txt (9.4 KB, 550 views)
Old 07-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #102
Alissa
Connoisseur

Thank you, alan, for testing, as always.

I examined the report you provided, but again, it just look fine for me; I have no idea what's wrong with your PC. Just to make sure: You are still experiencing problems using MobiHandler on your PC, aren't you?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #103
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool yikes!

Quote:
Thank you, alan, for testing, as always.

I examined the report you provided, but again, it just look fine for me; I have no idea what's wrong with your PC. Just to make sure: You are still experiencing problems using MobiHandler on your PC, aren't you?
i read this post, then checked. no images at all, just icons! i uninstalled/reinstalled mobihandler, then cleared the cache. still nothing!! then i changed the default for mobi's to kindle 4 pc and wow, a rush of covers appeared in place of the mobireader icons. and just a few .azw's and all .tpz's were icons instead of covers!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #104
Alissa
Connoisseur

Quote:
then i changed the default for mobi's to kindle 4 pc and wow, a rush of covers appeared in place of the mobireader icons. and just a few .azw's and all .tpz's were icons instead of covers!!!
Well, alan, congratulations! ... ?

Firstly, .tpz files being shown as icon is an expected behaviour; my MobiHandler doesn't support .tpz/.azw1 files at all. Few .azw/.mobi files having no cover image is also usual, because not all .azw files contain cover images.

My problem is that I found nothing bad in a registry report you kindly uploaded, and I had no idea what was wrong before the MobiHandler started working on your PC. Can you run the ascertainer.exe again and upload the report.txt file, so that I can compare them? (I'm very much afraid they are identical, though...)

Another (minor) problem is that, as far as I understand, the registry report you uploaded indicated that your default .azw/.mobi/.rpc viewer was Kindle for PC (version 1.5 or later.) I noticed your PC also have mobipocket reader, Kindle previewer, and calibre installed, and you had K4PC 1.4 (or before) installed before, but your registry appeared they were associated as alternatives. MobiHandler just ignores alternative associations (or, I intended to make it so behave), and it should not affect operations of MobiHandler.

BTW, what was the default viewer for .azw/.mobi files when you run ascertainer.exe?

Last edited by Alissa; 07-20-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #105
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool sure

Quote:
Well, alan, congratulations! ... ?

Firstly, .tpz files being shown as icon is an expected behaviour; my MobiHandler doesn't support .tpz/.azw1 files at all. Few .azw/.mobi files having no cover image is also usual, because not all .azw files contain cover images.

My problem is that I found nothing bad in a registry report you kindly uploaded, and I had no idea what was wrong before the MobiHandler started working on your PC. Can you run the ascertainer.exe again and upload the report.txt file, so that I can compare them? (I'm very much afraid they are identical, though...)

Another (minor) problem is that, as far as I understand, the registry report you uploaded indicated that your default .azw/.mobi/.rpc viewer was Kindle for PC (version 1.5 or later.) I noticed your PC also have mobipocket reader, Kindle previewer, and calibre installed, and you had K4PC 1.4 (or before) installed before, but your registry appeared they were associated as alternatives. MobiHandler just ignores alternative associations (or, I intended to make it so behave), and it should not affect operations of MobiHandler.

BTW, what was the default viewer for .azw/.mobi files when you run ascertainer.exe?
here is a new report. my usual default viewers are azw-calibre reader and mobi-mobipocket reader.
Attached Files
File Type: txt report.txt (7.2 KB, 383 views)