Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: How fragile is your Kindle? (only for Kindle owners)
I'm extremely careful with it and it's never broken. 45 38.46%
I'm not all that careful with it and it's never broken. 59 50.43%
I'm not all that careful with it and I broke it. 3 2.56%
I'm extremely careful with it and I broke it! 10 8.55%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
How Fragile is the Kindle

This poll is for those of you who already have Kindles. I've got a Sony, for which my reply is "I'm not all that careful with it, and the screen has never broken." Since the screens are identical (I've heard) probably the Kindle will be equally fragile. But I thought I'd ask to see what people think.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I dont treat it any differently than any of my other devices (iphone, etc) and i've never had a problem. Im not "Careless" with it, nor am I over protective.
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Not sure what "all that careful" means. I don't treat it with kid gloves, nor do I sit on it or slam it into drawer or put it in a carry on bag unprotected and slam it into the overhead bin.

I'm just as careful with it as I am with my cellphone or laptop.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
I don't treat it like fine crystal. It has a nice cover and I keep it in my quilted purse in it's own pocket. It does just fine with no additional babying.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I treat mine with the same care as I do my laptop.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The weakness with any eInk device is the very thin glass "substrate" which is under the outer plastic screen. If you "bend" that, or apply undue pressure to a single point on it, it will fracture. Avoid doing that and you shouldn't have a problem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
KimmyA
KimmyA began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I tend to be very careful with mine just because if this one breaks, I may not be able to afford to immediately replace it.
KimmyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #8
BruceS
BruceS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Kindle 2
Mine has fallen about 4 feet from a table onto a hardwood floor with no problems.

It was in the cover shipped by Amazon when it fell. I have since purchased a new cover from M-Edge which has four corner straps. This should solve the occasional problem of the Kindle coming loose from the Amazon cover.

If anyone wants more protection for the screen on their Kindle, Invisible Shield has just come out with both full body and screen only versions for the Kindle.
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS View Post
If anyone wants more protection for the screen on their Kindle, Invisible Shield has just come out with both full body and screen only versions for the Kindle.
That might protect the screen against scratches, but I suspect that it will be no protection whatsoever against the type of "shock damage" that's likely to fracture the screen substrate and render the device unusable. The outer screen is pretty tough - you'd need to quite seriously abuse it to scratch it, I suspect! It's not like PDAs which have an easily-scratched touch-sensitive layer as the top layer of the screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

My kindle fell out of the cover it came with the first week I had it. It hit the floor from about 4 feet, of course a heartstopping moment. It falls out of bed at least once a week. I've slept on it a few times. It goes skiing in my Camelbak so it's fairly well protected that way.

My first Zune was broken by an overlyzealous flight attendant cramming my carry on into the overhead. I have learned my lesson and Zunes and Kindles stay in my hand from now on.

My biggest fear is water. I've lost I don't know how many pagers and cell phones to water damage. The biggest culprit is the devices falling out of pocket into the toilet. I don't anticipate that happening with my Kindle, but still I don't go anywhere near a bathroom with my Kindle.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I've never dropped mine too far, but it has been in my messenger when I slipped and fell on the Ubiquitous Ice here in Wisconsin. No problems.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #12
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

I've dropped my K1 a time or two. There's a few nicks and dings. But nothing major, and it continues to work just fine. (I wouldn't try stepping on it though)
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #13
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I just tried mine like an average piece of hardware and I've never really had any problems. Dropped it a few times from a bit of height and it still works fine.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #14
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
The biggest culprit is the devices falling out of pocket into the toilet. I don't anticipate that happening with my Kindle, but still I don't go anywhere near a bathroom with my Kindle.
One of the guys where I used to work kept his work radio in his shirt pocket (expensive Motorola) - until he leaned over the edge of the dock to look at the water. Yup, radio went swimming.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:42 AM   #15
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
My Kindle lives in the original cover. I put it to sleep, close the cover, and loop the elastic when I put it away. I carry it with me everywhere -- it rang up about 60,000 air miles in the past 12 months -- in my backpack.

I also carry a Sony 505 reader. It's now in the lighted cover, but was in the original cover from June until Christmas. I'm going to get an elastic loop to hold the cover closed since the magnet on the front isn't strong enough to keep things from sliding between it and the lightwedge.

I'm only moderately careful with my backpack; after all my laptop is in there as well.

I've dropped the Kindle several times, usually because I fell asleep with it in my hands. The worst that has happened in these cases is that the back is pulled off because the tab hold tight.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote