Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
jb1
jb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: kobo touch
My kobo doesn't work and I can't get a response from the technical team!

I love my kobo touch but I have had it for only 6 months and now it doesn't work. I bought a book last night and the kobo got updated. Suddenly, the book didn't sync with my kobo device because my computer could not find the kobo. I tried uninstalling kobo desktop and reinstalling it. Then I reset my kobo. Nothing happened. And then I reset it to the factory setting (big mistake as I have no books on my kobo anymore!) and the computer keeps asking me to attach my device with the usb cable (which I was doing) but it won't recognize that it was attached to the usb cable. I tried different usb cables. Nothing. I have nothing on my kobo and I want it fixed. Could it be the usb port on my kobo that is defective? if it is, how do I get it fixed asap? What else could it be?

Can anyone help me?

My Incident number is: 111129-000774

Another minor issue is that one of the books I own (but haven't yet read) cannot be opened. The computer says it is locked or corrupt. What now?
jb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I had a defective USB port on my Kobo. Support usually takes about 2-3 days before they reply back to you (Sometimes more) really slow but just stick with it.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
IamARobot
Enthusiast
IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
When the Kobo desktop software updated did it have any errors? Try uninstalling and re installing the desktop software
IamARobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:20 AM   #4
ShanMcG
ShanMcG doesn't litterShanMcG doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 & Nook Color
I hate to discourage you jb but I have been trying to get my kobo touch replaced since July. I feel your pain. I have emailed and called and both times I am told it is being 'escalated to tier 2' and then I hear nothing back. I am pulling my hair out.
ShanMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:36 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1 View Post

I love my kobo touch but I have had it for only 6 months and now it doesn't work. I bought a book last night and the kobo got updated. Suddenly, the book didn't sync with my kobo device because my computer could not find the kobo.

(big snip)

Can anyone help me?

My Incident number is: 111129-000774
I would not worry if it has only been one day since you opened a ticket. If you have not heard from a human being (as opposed to an automated response) within another couple of days, post a summary of your problem, along with your incident/ticket number in a post on getsatisfaction.com/kobo. That is an official Kobo support site that is staffed by Tier 2 staff.

One of the changes to the desktop software is supposed to resolve some/most of the books being locked issues simply by doing a sync over USB to the desktop. As you cannot currently do this, because of your other issue, this isn't going to work for you.

BTW, if you bought your Kobo Touch locally, the seller might simply take it back and replace it for you. Chapters seems to do that sort of thing pretty often.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
When my USB port died I took my touch back to chapters (with my receipt) and got a new one right away.

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
jb1
jb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Thanks for all your responses. Kobo responded and told me to send my kobo to them so they can take a look. I am now waiting to see what is happening. I think that they think the usb port on my kobo is defective.

But could it be a software problem? It all happened on Monday night when I plugged it in and there was an update. The update worked ie. I was able to see the time which was new. But then I noticed the book I purchased was not on my device which is when the problems started. I tried to get the book on my device and then all of a sudden the desktop did not recognize my kobo. When I plugged in my kobo to the computer the kobo device said it was charged and connected. The problem was that the desktop did not recognize it. I tried uninstalling and installing the desktop, reset my device and then did a factory reset. Once I did the factory reset I had no books on my device and the kobo had to be set up. When I tried to set up through desktop the desktop kept asking me to connect the device. My device said it was charged and connected but the screen to set up wasn't doing anything and the desktop had no idea they were connected.

At first I was excited that they were going to fix my usb port but now I am worried that won't help.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

jb1: you were upset that you did not get offered a solution the same day you told Kobo about it. Now that they have responded, told you what they think it is, and have given you a way to take care of it, you are worried. Ultimately, Kobo cannot do anything to make you worry less. That part of it is your responsibility.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
jb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
jb1: you were upset that you did not get offered a solution the same day you told Kobo about it. Now that they have responded, told you what they think it is, and have given you a way to take care of it, you are worried. Ultimately, Kobo cannot do anything to make you worry less. That part of it is your responsibility.
Wow...thanks...I guess. I wasn't looking for a lecture just wondered if other people had the same thing happen to them and wondered if anyone here with some techinical background would think it was a software issue since my issue came up right after my kobo device got updated.

I thought this forum was for people to discuss their issues with kobo to help eachother. I wasn't using this forum as therapy for my worries.

As an aside, I worried after a day becaue a friend of mine was still waiting for a response after contacting kobo a week before and after reading the forums and hearing that other people could not get help from Kobo at all. I was very happy that I was wrong about that and I thought I should note it for others.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Folks here told you it was most likely a USB port issue, Kobo concurred. Did you try returning it locally? That was one thing that was discussed here as well.

If after the update there were USB port issues, the threads here would be full of similar complaints, so I really, really, really think you need not worry.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
One thing I am curious about; was the Kobo Touch connected when the Desktop updated?

I'm always concerned about that as I think I see the USB drivers being reinstalled / updated during the Desktop updated, and, I just wonder how well Windows handles an in use driver being updated!

I will admit I always start Kobo Desktop first, and then plug in my Kobo.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #12
jb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
One thing I am curious about; was the Kobo Touch connected when the Desktop updated?

I'm always concerned about that as I think I see the USB drivers being reinstalled / updated during the Desktop updated, and, I just wonder how well Windows handles an in use driver being updated!

I will admit I always start Kobo Desktop first, and then plug in my Kobo.
Actually, I always plug in my kobo first and that is what I did that time. The updates worked but my book didn't sync so when I reattached it, that was when the problems started.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
jb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Folks here told you it was most likely a USB port issue, Kobo concurred. Did you try returning it locally? That was one thing that was discussed here as well.

If after the update there were USB port issues, the threads here would be full of similar complaints, so I really, really, really think you need not worry.
I would have loved to return it locally but Indigo won't deal with Kobo after the 30 days. I got my touch right when it came out about 6 months ago.

I'll keep you posted!
Old 12-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Our local Chapters took my broken Touch back 5 months after I purchased it. I've heard that stores don't have to do it, but I know ours does.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #15
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
i had a screen stop working randomly. Like, reading one minute, reboot, messed up.

took 10 days before i got a copy and pasted response from kobo support.

it took another 5 days where i had to resend them the same photo, and details like serial numbers before they got back to me

at which point, I noted 2 things.

Technical support did NOT come from Kobo itself
RMA's and issues were sent to Celstica international. NOT kobo, as Kobo themselves do not do their own RMA nor tech support.

after all that. and more days later, (actually a whole month), i was told that i could pay for the shipping to and from Kobo for them to look at and replace the screen. They were unable to tell me if i still was under warranty based on my serial number, but if i sent ti to them, i would be charged 69.99 for a replacement screen.

thus making an RMA cost me anywhere from 75-90 (depending on the two way shipping costs).

I told them in a nicer letter to Eff off.that it was a completely unacceptable solution to a known manufacturing issue, and that i would not pay them a penny to repair something they know happens.

i got a form response 5 days later apologizing, but that was their RMA policy at Celestica and that was the only option.

i've looked online, noticeably, the Kobo Facebook page, which i used to frequent a lot. they used to have a "reviews" section. the average review was 1.5 stars out of 5, with the first 10 pages 1 star reviews from different people all saying Tech support was slow (weeks) and refused to actually accept reponsibiltiy . they have since removed the entire comments section.

their online "support" through face books page, only has a single user from kobo, using copy and pasted responses apologizing for delays and asking for their ticket number, then no responses.

Suffice to say

I will never, EVER buy Kobo again

If you go Kobo, Buyer Beware.

Last edited by Lordvic; 12-03-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote