Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM   #61
leifan89
Enthusiast
leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Voyage, Hisense A9, reMarkable 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Also KOReader is not the native. Needs jailbreak on Kindle and only a tiny minority of Kobo users use it (MR isn't indicative).
Indeed. I only pulled up KOReader so I can do absolutely 0 light comparisons, since it's not possible on the Voyage natively.

(I also just have a preference for how configurable everything is in KOReader.)
leifan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 04:24 PM   #62
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leifan89 View Post
I'm a little confused though - do you turn the light brighter when there is more ambient light?? If so, why? (Just curious )
Yes. To make the screen whiter. It doesn't have to be blindingly white like glossy magazine paper, but not grey either - I like somewhat off/creamish or greyish white in daylight and light yellow in artificial light. Those colors are not possible with an unlit screen, except in extremely bright ambient lighting - and I never read in such lighting conditions.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2023, 04:28 PM   #63
leifan89
Enthusiast
leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes. To make the screen whiter. It doesn't have to be blindingly white like glossy magazine paper, but not grey either - I like somewhat off/creamish or greyish white in daylight and light yellow in artificial light. Those colors are not possible with an unlit screen, except in extremely bright ambient lighting - and I never read in such lighting conditions.
I see - gotcha, yes, those colors are not possible with an unlit screen without really bright ambient lighting.

In my personal experience, I haven't seen any ereaders that are as bright as actual paper (of good quality) in ambient light with no front light of their own. Kind of unfortunate, in my opinion.

Now that I have the Voyage, it seems to come the closest, but still not really there.
Old 08-11-2023, 04:32 PM   #64
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm sitting in my living room, all devices on a white table, facing the southern balcony with the bright sun right ahead of me, a little after noon, in the peak summer of the northern hemisphere

In a word, a representative ambient light condition for day time reading for me.
Heh. I couldn't even bear to be in such bright light, let alone read. On a sunny day (mind, none of my windows open to the south, and at noon I'm usually still asleep) I read in the shade, never in direct sunlight. Unshaded noonday sun - hurts my eyes even to think about it.
Old 08-11-2023, 04:34 PM   #65
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I see - gotcha, yes, those colors are not possible with an unlit screen without really bright ambient lighting.

In my personal experience, I haven't seen any ereaders that are as bright as actual paper (of good quality) in ambient light with no front light of their own. Kind of unfortunate, in my opinion.

Now that I have the Voyage, it seems to come the closest, but still not really there.
No, no eink device with a naturally white screen exists.

Old Pearl screens without any installed lighting were actually lighter than unlit Carta screens, with a few exceptions. But still not white.
Advert
Old 08-11-2023, 04:40 PM   #66
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I only use a front light setting at all if somewhere too dim. My Oasis Gen 2 was certainly inferior to libra and libra 2. There is no greenish tinge in any of my Kobos on Ambient light (LED stick lights or one room halogen), nor outdoor.
Or indeed on Sony, Kindle, Boyue Mars or Y-Ben. They only vary in brightness / sharpness etc.
The Oasis 2 was one of the poorest screens I've used. The Oasis 3 was considerably better, but still worse than the Libra 2 (all this was with the frontlight on - I have no idea what any of them looked like with the light off).

Last edited by Sirtel; 08-11-2023 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-11-2023, 04:54 PM   #67
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I agree, none are actually white.
Also most paper gets brighter white even with blue or UV source.
Interestingly the eInk screens are very dark in a room with UV LED insect death, pulp paperback is dark, but POD sourced books, paper for printer and magazine white are bright

Most CFLs and fluorescent tube lamps have a peak greenish hue and will make eink look greenish/grey compared to printer/copier paper which will mysteriously still be white. So don't use copier/printer paper to set electronic camera white balance.

Also the camera -> processing -> local screen will not match what the human sees. None of my desktop screens and laps have the same colour temperature or rendition. The 23.5″ LG 4K UHD HDR is the most natural and least blue tinged (cheaper tablets and laptops use poor colour temp and rendition phosphor doped blue/violet LEDs. Native white LEDs don't exist. It's why LED lamps when off look yellow and glow yellow under UV).

Last edited by Quoth; 08-11-2023 at 05:01 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 04:56 PM   #68
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I agree, none are actually white.
Also most paper gets brighter white even with blue or UV source.
Interestingly the eInk screens are very dark in a room with UV LED insect death, pulp paperback is dark, but POD sourced books, paper for printer and magazine white are bright
That's interesting. I've never read anything in blue/UV light, either paper or eink.
Old 08-11-2023, 05:18 PM   #69
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Indeed. I only pulled up KOReader so I can do absolutely 0 light comparisons, since it's not possible on the Voyage natively.
If you can run KOReader your Voyage is jailbroken, so you can set the brightness to any level possible with the hardware/firmware. To turn the frontlight off completely, use the shell command:
Code:
echo 0 > /sys/class/backlight/max77696-bl/brightness
Any integer between 0 and 255 inclusive will work.

You can play around with fine tuning the brightness with the KUAL extension in the thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293718
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 05:26 PM   #70
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I'm a little confused though - do you turn the light brighter when there is more ambient light?? If so, why? (Just curious )
That is what the default out of the box auto-brightness does on kindles. If ambient light is bright enough, it will go to full brightness, which drains the battery quickly. Any brighter and it goes to the lowest setting.

I think amazon has always considered the primary purpose of the frontlight to be making the display look whitish.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 06:53 PM   #71
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That's interesting. I've never read anything in blue/UV light, either paper or eink.
I'd not claim to have read anything! I was just curious when I went into the kitchen late at night with the new bug zapper on and noticed some very bright white things.

BANG!
Old 08-11-2023, 06:55 PM   #72
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I think amazon has always considered the primary purpose of the frontlight to be making the display look whitish.
Hence the first Kindle with a front light was called a Paperwhite!
In reality without the front light it's as grey as any other ereader of that era.
Old 08-11-2023, 08:17 PM   #73
leifan89
Enthusiast

Quote:
You can play around with fine tuning the brightness with the KUAL extension in the thread
Very interesting. Thanks for the pointer - I'll check it out!

Quote:
That is what the default out of the box auto-brightness does on kindles. If ambient light is bright enough, it will go to full brightness, which drains the battery quickly. Any brighter and it goes to the lowest setting.
Yeah, this has always driven me insane on my Oasis with the automatic light. On Kindles it's annoying to keep adjusting it all the time (not nearly as convenient as on Kobos/KOReader - yet another reason why I prefer KOReader), but the auto adjustment does almost (though not quite) the opposite of what I want. I don't want it looking white with the light - that, to me, just feels disingenuous.

Quote:
Quote:
Hence the first Kindle with a front light was called a Paperwhite!
In reality without the front light it's as grey as any other ereader of that era.
Marketing...
Old 08-11-2023, 08:37 PM   #74
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
None of my desktop screens and laps have the same colour temperature or rendition. The 23.5″ LG 4K UHD HDR is the most natural and least blue tinged (cheaper tablets and laptops use poor colour temp and rendition phosphor doped blue/violet LEDs. Native white LEDs don't exist. It's why LED lamps when off look yellow and glow yellow under UV).
Yeah. The first thing I always do when I get a new laptop (I don't use desktops) is to adjust its color. If I can find a calibrated color profile for just that model, I'll install that too, but color usually still needs adjustment. Even with expensive laptops (true, less so than with cheap devices).

I do some photo editing for personal fun and so I want good colors on my laptops and tablets. I've seen all kinds of screens on different brands and models - too blue, too red, too green. Oversaturated, undersaturated. Some cheap, some not. But always needing some color correction.

Last edited by Sirtel; 08-11-2023 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-12-2023, 02:02 AM   #75
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Most CFLs and fluorescent tube lamps have a peak greenish hue and will make eink look greenish/grey compared to printer/copier paper which will mysteriously still be white. So don't use copier/printer paper to set electronic camera white balance.
Copier/printer paper, as well as many other types of paper, is made with OBAs (Optical Brightening Agents) that fluoresce when exposed to UV light. It's similar to the stuff used in laundry detergents to give "whiter whites". A small amount of UV output is found in most non-incandescent lighting sources as well as sunlight.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote