Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-18-2010, 10:16 PM   #31
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
ahh but you underestimate the lure of the of touchscreen Color lCD that allows you to navigate using icons and see the your book cover in color and scrolling using cover flow.
Especially being in a store like Best Buy where you have all of todays latest gadgets and tecchonology.

vs.

even the brand new Kindle that uses techonlogy from the 1980's for navigation and no color at all.

Now look at your surrondings while in Best Buy, everything is bascially touchcreen and color and modern.

Then the kindle is the one that looks like it using very old technology.
Trust me on this, Kindle uses extremely antiquated technology for navigating.

Even page turning on the Nook you can turn the page using the finger swiping method , on the Kindle your only choice to click the page turning button.

The Kindle may use the peral screen but when you can see it side by side against the Nook and notice it's not a huge contrast difference then add to the fact one navigagtes similar to your smart phone and the other one navigates similar to your old coleco hand held electronic game when yougrew up, then I don't think the decision is as easy as you might think.

Amazon runs a much better marketing campaign and actually runs cathcy and funny commericials but that doesn't make it the better ereader.

But this is all a moot point. Asking a Best Buy employee about e-readers would be like asking 5 year old about Quantum Physics.

They don't care.

But here's tip for any BN marketing employees reading this forum. "RUN SOME COMMERICALS" EGADS MAN.
There's a lot of talk here about the Nook's touchscreen navigation, which is great for people who are looking for that kind of experience on an ereader. However, I think navigation on the Kindle's eink screen is a far better experience than navigating on the Nook's eink screen. Having tactile buttons makes it easier and the fact is that not everything can be done from the touchscreen. (As a side note, buttons are NOT antiquated. Antiquated specifically means outdated but that is simply not true. If it were, no device would have any buttons. Even years down the road I'm certain people will still be typing on physical keyboards because touchscreens come with their own limitations.) If the touchscreen were more functional, then it would be more of an allure (but I can definitely see glare being an issue for reading in direct sunlight, which I do a lot). When the Nook first came out, I thought for sure they would make dictionary definitions pop up instantly on the LCD. Nope. Dictionary support is still better implemented on the Kindle because the Nook waits to open the full definition on the eink screen each time. Add to that the fact that navigating the cursor on the eink screen is slower using the touchscreen than it is using the Kindle's physical buttons. Still, I don't know why people make this into a "which is better" debate. I always try to be fair to the Nook when people ask me why I chose the Kindle. I tell them that having a physical keyboard and other tactile buttons is important to me and that I think the Kindle software offers a smoother experience with things like dictionary support and search. I also mention that I'm clearly biased and that some people don't mind typing on a touchscreen and like the advantage of being able to browse covers in color as well as see webpages on the LCD (which unfortunately, as I understand it, only works on WiFi with the Nook). Just like other competing products, ereaders have their own mixed bags of advantages and disadvantages.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:29 PM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Learn how to strip DRM. Then you can put anything you want on your Kindle.
And just how legal is that?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 11:10 PM   #33
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
And just how legal is that?
About as legal as speeding but people do that all the time.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:45 PM   #34
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
About as legal as speeding but people do that all the time.
hmmm ask the kid from BU who downloaded songs for Free if its like a speeding ticket

it may be music, but the concept is the same having digital media that is supposed to be protected with DRM

http://www.tgdaily.com/business-and-...t-student-dear

Last edited by boswd; 09-18-2010 at 11:48 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:13 AM   #35
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
hmmm ask the kid from BU who downloaded songs for Free if its like a speeding ticket

it may be music, but the concept is the same having digital media that is supposed to be protected with DRM

http://www.tgdaily.com/business-and-...t-student-dear
First of all, he got in trouble for sharing the files, not downloading them. A lot of people fail to make the distinction but the fact is that no one is wasting resources trying to track down people who aren't sharing files (probably because it's difficult to make an argument that they've lost that much money if the files only went to that one person). Second of all, this has absolutely nothing to do with stripping DRM. If you don't share the files, stripping DRM from legally obtained files is virtually undetectable.

Last edited by SpiderMatt; 09-19-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 01:17 AM   #36
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
So, are you saying that you can strip DRM from Overdrive/ADE library books and load them on your Kindle?
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:35 AM   #37
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
So, are you saying that you can strip DRM from Overdrive/ADE library books and load them on your Kindle?
I'm saying that it can be done, yes. Is it legal? No. Will anyone have any idea that you've done it? Highly unlikely.

If someone has ethical problems with this, then by all means get a Nook or a Sony Reader. I just hate it when people say "I would have gotten a Kindle except I want to download library books." If it's that important to you, get a Kindle, strip the DRM from the library books, and delete the books when you're done with them. Based on what I've read about some of the problems people have getting ADE to load books onto readers, it doesn't seem like stripping DRM and converting the file would be all that much of an inconvenience.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:09 AM   #38
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
I'm saying that it can be done, yes. Is it legal? No. Will anyone have any idea that you've done it? Highly unlikely.

If someone has ethical problems with this, then by all means get a Nook or a Sony Reader. I just hate it when people say "I would have gotten a Kindle except I want to download library books." If it's that important to you, get a Kindle, strip the DRM from the library books, and delete the books when you're done with them. Based on what I've read about some of the problems people have getting ADE to load books onto readers, it doesn't seem like stripping DRM and converting the file would be all that much of an inconvenience.
Not about DRM stripping again!
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:01 PM   #39
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
I'm saying that it can be done, yes. Is it legal? No.
Actually, I was just asking the basic question as you read it -- can you strip DRM from library books? I was under the impression it didn't work with library books.

As for being legal or ethical, that's up to the illegal and unethical people who engage in the activity. After all, as you say, drugs are illegal and it doesn't stop the $Billion of drug trafficking.

Personally, I'm one of those folks who likes things simple. I buy stuff to fit my needs. I like to read. If I have to run it thru a grinder before I can use it, then I'm not interested. Therefore, I'm with Tubemonkey. A reader that can't do library books direct from the library is of no interest to me.

If I have a square hole, I'm going to buy square blocks to put in it. I'm not going to buy round blocks and then chop them up to fit them into the square holes.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #40
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Actually, I was just asking the basic question as you read it -- can you strip DRM from library books? I was under the impression it didn't work with library books.
I think is possible. AFAIK, when somebody gets a library ebook, this ebook comes with an expiration date in its DRM. After this date, the ebook is not accessible, but the file it's still in the ereader memory. Of course this raises the question if the expiration date can be defeated just changing the ereader date (I don't think is that easy). But anyways, since the file is there, I guess DRM can be stripped.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #41
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?

The date/time on my Astak PPro is current, but I just finished a book over a week past due, and started another that is showing timed out in ADE, so at least as far as the Astak is concerned, the unit date stamp has no effect on the book time limit.

But it was just a clarification question, anyway. If the current DRM is suddenly unreadable by my reader (or on a new reader), then I'd have no problem stripping it. I'm just not interested in bothering with it as a matter of course.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:10 AM   #42
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
>> Your nook glares and in dim light? I don't understand >>

I meant that the LCD screen glares. For my money the LCD is history but you may disagree. It seems badly implemented and a waste to me.

You may think it is great but we respectfully disagree.
I'm sorry, but you list the iPhone as your device and you complain about the glare on the Nook's little touchscreen, the screen you aren't reading on?
Honestly?
The iPhone (all such smartphones) are practically mirrors when you use them outdoors and it's a skill to avoid glare when you on the train or subway or bus... but you complain about the part of the Nook you aren't even reading on?
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #43
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
... but you complain about the part of the Nook you aren't even reading on?
Does it turn completely off when you're reading?
Old 09-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #44
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Yes, it goes black while you read and that's when you can swipe it to turn pages (you can turn it back on by tapping on it).
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Yes, it goes black while you read and that's when you can swipe it to turn pages (you can turn it back on by tapping on it).
Thanks; that's good to know. A glowing LCD display would cause me to cover it up with a piece of cardboard.

I prefer buttons to swiping.