Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
findjon
findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle
Free noir thriller - [SEE POST #107]

RED CHASER tosses you headfirst into the 1950s. You'll meet the kinkiest and most beautiful spy this side of the Iron Curtain. You'll meet Joe McCarthy. Best of all, you'll live the life of Jake McHenry as he romps through this 1950s history of spies, Commies, babes and the Brooklyn Dodgers.

You can get it for free on either Kindle or Smashwords. Just email me at findjon@msn.com and tell me which you prefer (Kindle or Smashwords) and say, “Yes, I’d like to read Red Chaser.”

If you choose Kindle, I’ll have Amazon.com email you a gift card* for Red Chaser. If you choose Smashwords, I’ll email you the code for a free download (sorry, no change on this one).

* Red Chaser is a Kindle book. I'll have Amazon email you a gift certificate. The smallest gift certificate at Amazon is $5, so after you download Red Chaser for $3.19 (list price is $3.99), you'll have a buck and eighty-one cents in change. Spend it wisely!

Red Chaser is a fresh spin on the historical mystery novel. It's fun, it's 1950s noir, it's Brooklyn, it keeps you guessing and when you finish the last page you say, "Wow, that was fun."

Jon Spoelstra
findjon@msn.com

P.S. There are 54 reviews of it on Amazon.com: 28 5-star ratings, 22 4-stars, three 3-stars, and alas, one 1-star. Here’s a link to the reviews on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NXBUI4?...G9GMV5V4WEHF1&

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-28-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
I need more - EPUB - before you can pay me to take your ebook
Old 06-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I assume it's DRM-locked so we can't even convert it? Not good.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Ya um, 1 post only, shilling a book, the promise of a rebate but it requires taking you at your word.

I'm going to say no. You're not a member of this community and you're not paying mobileread to host this ad for you. For all I know you're going to sell the email addresses you collect.

For shame.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #5
findjon
findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.findjon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

I did join MobileRead. Then I got an email from them encouraging me submit my first post. I thought of this offer. The risk, by the way, is all mine. I send you a $5 gift card and assume that you will order Red Chaser at $3.99.

As for selling email addresses, I've already listed mine. findjon@msn.com. Feel free to sell it. Sell yours? C'mon, I'm just looking for readers.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:09 AM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
G'day Jon,

Welcome to MR.

We've got what many perceive to be a problem at MR at the moment. We're getting a lot of drive-by book-plugging, by just-joined authors who go into what they deem a relevant sub-forum (or just the first one they see) and just plug their book as their first post and then they rack off, never to be seen again (or only to plug their book in a new thread or bump their old one). In some sections, it's starting to swamp the desired purpose of the section.

So, at the moment, a lot of are a little (IMO justly) sensitive to and annoyed by it.

In the backroom, us Moderators are working on, and near, a solution we hope will fix this for our members (readers and authors alike). I should say, this solution is almost entirely based on ideas generated by our members (again, readers and authors alike). Hopefully this solution will not only help authors find the right place to plug their book(s), and that that place will be useful to readers looking for new stuff to read, but all in all that we get a solution that helps maintain the community (of readers and authors alike).

I hope you can become part of our community, and I very much encourage you to do so. Another good place to introduce yourself (tell us a bit about yourself, not just your authorship - it's where people can meet you ) is the Introduce Yourself subforum.

So, don't be put off. Our defensiveness has good cause, but get past our defences (easy...just become "one of us" ) and you'll find us all quite welcoming and helpful and friendly (readers and authors alike).

Cheers,
Marc
(with Moderator hat on, but kind of slouched, casually, like he's not really wearing it, but it looks pretty jaunty nevertheless )
Old 06-25-2010, 12:19 AM   #7
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Or to translate don't be too mad at me yet. Drive by ads can be a touchy thing.

If you want to be mad ask me my views on copyright
Old 06-25-2010, 01:22 AM   #8
findjon

Marc--

I'm a bit confused on all this. I thought that 'Deals, Freebies, and Resources' would be the appropriate forum for my offer.

Marc, as the moderator, if you wish to remove the post, please do. I certainly didn't mean to offend anybody, and to whoever I did, I apologize.

Jon
Old 06-25-2010, 01:58 AM   #9
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by findjon View Post
I want nudge my novel, RED CHASER, into the viral world a bit. To do that, I need, of course, more readers. Like you. So, I would like you to read my novel Red Chaser. I’ll provide a free copy, plus a bonus.

RED CHASER is a noir thriller of the 1950s, the Cold War and the Brooklyn Dodgers. (There are 34 reviews of it on Amazon.com: 18 5-star ratings, 15 4-stars, one 3-star). I think you’ll have fun reading this.

If you want to read it for free (and you get a buck*), just email me at findjon@msn.com and say, “Sure, I’d like to read Red Chaser.” I'll have Amazon email you the gift card for Red Chaser.

* Red Chaser is a Kindle book. I'll have Amazon email you a gift certificate. The smallest gift certificate at Amazon is $5, so after you download Red Chaser for $3.99, you'll have a buck and a penny in change. Spend it wisely!

Jon
findjon@msn.com
This book will cost me $5.99.. Amazon charges an extra $2 for most readers outside the US...

I would publish on Smashwords, where you can attract people with all kinds of readers and formats.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:21 AM   #10
jan1712
jan1712 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Hi
I took advantage of Jon's offer through Goodreads, and I bought his book, his offer is genuine , so please take it read the book its really very good, and Lene I live in the UK and Amazon did not charge me the usual $2 and have not for a while I did have to pay VAT but the $5 card covered it.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:44 AM   #11
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Marc--

I'm a bit confused on all this. I thought that 'Deals, Freebies, and Resources' would be the appropriate forum for my offer.

Marc, as the moderator, if you wish to remove the post, please do. I certainly didn't mean to offend anybody, and to whoever I did, I apologize.

Jon
No, mate, don't worry about it. It's fine as is - we're getting to make these things easier for all, so let's just leave things as they are.

No offense, no apologies. Just welcome, and I hope you get the chance to become a regular. Don't sweat it.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 06-25-2010, 06:19 AM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
If you want to read it for free ...
Yes! I LOVE free stuff.
Especially free stuff provided directly by an author ...
... But ...
Quote:
* Red Chaser is a Kindle book.
I do not own a Kindle. Period.

If you try to read this forum a bit, you will see that there are LOTS and LOTS of people that do read e-books, but have another type (understand non-Kindle) of book reading device.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices

If you want to have as many readers as possible, you might consider uploading your book to yet another server, for example Smashwords, and provide us with a time limited coupon for downloading the book.
If you had done so, I would have been downloading the book at this moment. I do not need a buck to try another book. What I DO need, however, is the ability to download the book to my non-kindle e-book reader.
btw, I do not have an Amazon account or even a credit card and I do not plan to get one in a foreseeable future.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:21 AM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
I want nudge my novel, RED CHASER, into the viral world a bit. To do that, I need, of course, more readers. Like you. So, I would like you to read my novel Red Chaser. I’ll provide a free copy, plus a bonus.

<Snipped>

* Red Chaser is a Kindle book. I'll have Amazon email you a gift certificate. The smallest gift certificate at Amazon is $5, so after you download Red Chaser for $3.99, you'll have a buck and a penny in change. Spend it wisely!

Jon
findjon@msn.com
Please post again when it's in ePub, or let us know whether it is DRM'd.

Regards, Alex
Old 06-25-2010, 08:11 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Marc--

Jon

No one wants to remove your post.

What we ask of you is that you contribute to the growth and health of our community. We understand your desire to acquire new readers.

As another Moderator mentioned, the reason for our concern (and this concern is NOT directed at you personally), is that there are SOME individuals here who see MobileRead as their personal dumping ground to hawk their books and NOT contribute to the continued health of the community. Because of this abuse by the few, we are in the process at this moment of revising certain rules about Members who come, hawk their wares, and contribute absolutely nothing to our community.

That's it - very simple.

Now, I encourage you to look over the Forums and invite you to contribute your thoughts to some of the ongoing conversations that you find interesting.

Also, (if you have not yet done so), please read our Posting Guidelines located at the top of every page.

We welcome you to MobileRead. I welcome you to MobileRead.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-25-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #15
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Quote:

RED CHASER is a noir thriller of the 1950s, the Cold War and the Brooklyn Dodgers. (There are 34 reviews of it on Amazon.com: 18 5-star ratings, 15 4-stars, one 3-star). I think you’ll have fun reading this.

If you want to read it for free (and you get a buck*), just email me at findjon@msn.com and say, “Sure, I’d like to read Red Chaser.” I'll have Amazon email you the gift card for Red Chaser.

Jon
findjon@msn.com
Because I just finished The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver, I'm interested this period. I see that it is for sale on Smashwords.
Closed Thread