Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-22-2019, 09:46 PM   #61
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
How about a low-priced 6" device with buttons on both sides? But Kindle and Kobo certainly don't want to make one. And before someone says Nook, the Nook is awful in other ways.
I'm probably going to end up with one of these Nooks (the 3, not the bigger one). I want the page-turn buttons and I'm impressed with the screen (and I don't need to carry my whole library with me anyhow, so side-loading issues would probably be minimal for me — besides I might get lucky, some here don't seem to have those side-loading issues anyhow). (Was that a run-on sentence, or what?) I don't see why a Clara or Paperwhite priced reader couldn't have page-turn buttons. I think it's more a marketing decision. "Want buttons, pay a premium." It's obvious that there are those who do want want page-turn buttons or Kobo and Amazon wouldn't be putting them on their premium readers.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:52 PM   #62
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
What's funny is that the more expensive touchscreen has become everybody's default...
...mostly because of cell phones.

Buttons are "premium" features because they are extra cost and Amazon has been optimizing (read: cutting less popular) features. (Like TTS.) Touchscreen is expected, buttons aren't.
While I wouldn't want to live without my touchscreen, I am glad Amazon put in the feature to disable it while reading. Anyone with cats or dogs would know how they manage to occasional come up, stick their nose on the screen and change the page. At least mine do.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #63
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't see why a Clara or Paperwhite priced reader couldn't have page-turn buttons. I think it's more a marketing decision. "Want buttons, pay a premium." It's obvious that there are those who do want want page-turn buttons or Kobo and Amazon wouldn't be putting them on their premium readers.
Dunno about Kobo but Amazon clearly doesn't believe the cost of adding buttons (designing new mobo, added labor, etc) is justified by the added sales.

Thought experiment: adding buttons increase costs by 2% but generates an extra 0.2% sales. Would you do it? Most business wouldn't. Now, for B&N, looking for a differentiator and already in a fading niche, the added cost is worth it just for the publicity value. Plus that extra 0.2% of Kindle sales might add up to 5% for Nook.

It's not marketing but rather cold-hearted penny pinching.

In any business niches get addressed with premium products while mainstream preferences get shunted into the baseline. That's why the Kindle Basic got a front light. Too many people want it to keep it out of the entry level even though it meant raising the (nominal) price, The objective is to minimize costs and maximize revenues across the entire line, not across one product. Unless one product is all you can afford to sell. Different story, that one.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:48 AM   #64
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
While I wouldn't want to live without my touchscreen, I am glad Amazon put in the feature to disable it while reading. Anyone with cats or dogs would know how they manage to occasional come up, stick their nose on the screen and change the page. At least mine do.
My cats love keyboards.
I have to shut the laptop when I set it aside temporarily. The desktop sessions always start with a series of cat removals.

My Kindle, I have a minimalist auto-off cover, fortunately. Adds near the absolute minimum cost and weight and is cheap to boot.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:46 AM   #65
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I used to love Nooks and had quite a few. Now days I would not go back to them at all. I no longer buy books from B & N and do not see the need to buy a nook with it's built in limitations. I admit I am different from the usual eBook reader. I prefer reading on my Surface Pro. Yes it is bigger and heavier than the usual eReader, but I used to read a lot of hard bound books and find them to be just as manageable. A plus with the surface is having Calibre installed and usable where ever I go.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #66
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
What's funny is that the more expensive touchscreen has become everybody's default...
...mostly because of cell phones.

Buttons are "premium" features because they are extra cost and Amazon has been optimizing (read: cutting less popular) features. (Like TTS.) Touchscreen is expected, buttons aren't.
Buttons are obviously not very expensive to include. Buttons are "premium" because they are a way to differentiate a "Premium" model from a standard model. It's 95% marketing.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 06-23-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #67
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm probably going to end up with one of these Nooks (the 3, not the bigger one). I want the page-turn buttons and I'm impressed with the screen (and I don't need to carry my whole library with me anyhow, so side-loading issues would probably be minimal for me — besides I might get lucky, some here don't seem to have those side-loading issues anyhow). (Was that a run-on sentence, or what?) I don't see why a Clara or Paperwhite priced reader couldn't have page-turn buttons. I think it's more a marketing decision. "Want buttons, pay a premium." It's obvious that there are those who do want want page-turn buttons or Kobo and Amazon wouldn't be putting them on their premium readers.
The Nook has issues. No collection of side-loaded books. Unstable software. But you can install Android apps, and the screen is amazing. If you install apss, be careful...I bricked one.

The Kobo can run koreader, and you can configure the screen to act like ambidextrous buttons, and you can organize books via system folders in Koreader. Koreader is nice. I wouldn't touch a Kindle because of the inability to jailbreak and install Koreader.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 06-23-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #68
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
The Nook has issues. No collection of side-loaded books. Unstable software. But you can install Android apps, and the screen is amazing. If you install apss, be careful...I bricked one.
I know about the collections and side-loaded books, but I don't use collections on any of my eReaders anyhow (I just move a few books over to them that I'll want to read). As for the unstable hardware, I've read the forums. I'm hoping (guessing?) that it might be an issue with USB drivers and Windows and that I'll escape most of it by using Linux. As for Android apps ... I just want to use the built-in features. I don't know anything about Koreader (though I've seen it mentioned many times — I'll try it on my Fire tablet).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:43 AM   #69
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
I know about the collections and side-loaded books, but I don't use collections on any of my eReaders anyhow (I just move a few books over to them that I'll want to read). As for the unstable hardware, I've read the forums. I'm hoping (guessing?) that it might be an issue with USB drivers and Windows and that I'll escape most of it by using Linux. As for Android apps ... I just want to use the built-in features. I don't know anything about Koreader (though I've seen it mentioned many times — I'll try it on my Fire tablet).
If you dont need collections, you'll be okay with the Nook. The flakiness is inherent, nothing to do with Windows. But it will work okay enough to work if you dont need to do anything fancy.

I recommend trying Koreader on a Kobo if you have one. I found it very unstable on Android, but it might work okay on the Fire.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #70
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Ideally I'd like the new Nook Plus body with Kobo software for Pocket and Overdrive. Amazon will have to do more to get my interest.

(I've had no issues with Nook 3 or Plus on Windows.)
lkmiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:41 AM   #71
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
I was even debating whether or not to trade in my Oasis for the new Nook Glowlight Plus but changed my mind when I read about the technical glitches and how super orange the lighting is.
The super orange is a good thing. Since you can adjust the color temperature, your screen need never be 'too orange.' But if the max screen color is the pale yellow shown in the first post, you might find it's not orange enough and you are just out of luck.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #72
kova4a
kova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The super orange is a good thing. Since you can adjust the color temperature, your screen need never be 'too orange.' But if the max screen color is the pale yellow shown in the first post, you might find it's not orange enough and you are just out of luck.
Yeah, it's not like there is only white or orange and nothing in-between. Interestingly though yellowish front light IMO yields the best contrast while orange tends to make the text a bit washed out. My first GL3 was actually yellow and not really orange. Initially, I was bothered coz I wanted orange but after trying pretty much everything available on the market I totally changed my mind. In fact, I keep my Kobo Aura yellow in koboreader and its vastly superior to the red mess that the stock Kobo software offers - it completely ruins the contrast.

Another interesting thing is that I got a new Nook GL3 this week as I made a huge mistake and gifted my old one few months back. The New GL3 is orange now and the contrast with it is definitely worse.

So if Amazon went with a yellow light on the new Oasis I bet it is on purpose.
kova4a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #73
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kova4a View Post
Yeah, it's not like there is only white or orange and nothing in-between. Interestingly though yellowish front light IMO yields the best contrast while orange tends to make the text a bit washed out.
All you say could be true, though I haven't seen any noticeable impact on the text on either my GL 3 or Clara.

The orange light reminds me of the sodium vapor streetlights, which allow you to see at night without keeping the entire neighborhood awake.

The yellow looks nice, but also makes me think of bright sunshine.

In the end, orange, yellow, red. They are likely all fine. I have nothing to back that opinion up, but I'm not fully convinced that the blue filters really do anything anyway. Though I do find the screen more pleasant to read in a darkened room.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #74
kova4a
kova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
All you say could be true, though I haven't seen any noticeable impact on the text on either my GL 3 or Clara.

The orange light reminds me of the sodium vapor streetlights, which allow you to see at night without keeping the entire neighborhood awake.

The yellow looks nice, but also makes me think of bright sunshine.

In the end, orange, yellow, red. They are likely all fine. I have nothing to back that opinion up, but I'm not fully convinced that the blue filters really do anything anyway. Though I do find the screen more pleasant to read in a darkened room.
The orange is not bad but it is a lot more intrusive and tiring overall. In fact. that sort of light yellow tone that my old GL3 had was a lot easier to look at even at max brightness.

Red is totally not fine - it messes up the contrast of the text and it makes reading a lot more cumbersome to a point that if I use the stock kobo firmware I stick to white light without any hint of color as even a slightly red tint bothers me a lot. I still use the warm light to some extent as without it the screen is not that natural white but only to this extent.

I personally don't really care about the supposed blue light issues. For me the color makes me more focused while reading for some strange reason. It just feels more cozy I guess - I use it even during the day.

I'm sure that Amazon has been delaying the implementation of warm light because they were trying to figure out what works best and probably reached the same conclusion.
kova4a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #75
Steve H
Connoisseur
Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle HDX, Paperwhite, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
If my Oasis 2 didn't have the ability to invert black and white, I would probably trade it in for the new one in order to read comfortably at night. As it is, I find the white on black display perfect for reading in a dark room. Nor does it seem to affect my sleep, unlike my phone and tablet before I started using a blue light filter. Still, I'm glad Amazon is finally offering a warm light for those who've been looking for it.
I am in your camp ..really like inverted text.
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote