Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #31
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Yeah, where they park their vans. They have their own blue vans doing delivery here. I'm still waiting for the flying drones to deliver stuff.
In my neighborhood lately I see more Amazon vans than I see UPS or FedEx ones.

I get Amazon deliveries in the morning marked “cycle 1” and ones in the afternoon marked “cycle 2”. I am waiting for them to add a nighttime delivery cycle.

Last edited by jhowell; 06-07-2019 at 08:52 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:53 PM   #32
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Malls. I figure that before too long they will become Amazon distribution centers.
I gather you've seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k53IDbtP-58
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2019, 09:09 PM   #33
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
In my neighborhood lately I see more Amazon vans than I see UPS or FedEx ones.

I get Amazon deliveries in the morning marked “cycle 1” and ones in the afternoon marked “cycle 2”. I am waiting for them to add a nighttime delivery cycle.
And if they used electric vans or whatever has a low carbon footprint we could feel even better about ordering from them.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:05 AM   #34
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
And if they used electric vans or whatever has a low carbon footprint we could feel even better about ordering from them.
I guess I'm the only one here who still likes to go out and buy my stuff. Lol I really don't see much benefit personally to shop with Amazon full time. There really is no significant money savings anymore and I enjoy looking at my food and general merchandise before purchase. That said online shopping does have its purpose for stuff that cannot be found at stores and for those who live in areas where there are not many retailers. Still even Amazon sees the need for a physical presence.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:19 AM   #35
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
I guess I'm the only one here who still likes to go out and buy my stuff. Lol I really don't see much benefit personally to shop with Amazon full time.
For me it's not full time, I still buy stuff from local merchants. It's like you say, the stuff that's not easy to find. I live in a large metropolitan area and probably could find these things somewhere around here. But if it's new and exotic it's easier to go to amazon and order it. And I really like their user reviews, the stars. When there are different makers of the same thing it's nice to know which ones are less likely to have problems. And for a few years I decided to try living without a car and getting around on a bicycle; that was no fun, especially in the suburbs where I am. Then I really needed amazon.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2019, 04:52 AM   #36
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Still even Amazon sees the need for a physical presence.
What need? Are you referring to the few retail stores Amazon is experimenting with?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:20 AM   #37
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
What need? Are you referring to the few retail stores Amazon is experimenting with?
The need to make money?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:32 AM   #38
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The need to make money?
More like the need to build out last mile distribution.

Buying up dead malls is one solution. Adding B&M retail is another. Partnering with apartment complexes for lockers is another. Using local contractors for delivery yet another. They're doing a lot of things, not just building bookstores, supermarkets, and convenience stores. Some are experiments, some are opportunistic, and some are strategic expansions. But it's too early to know which is which, other than Whole Foods. That one is going to stick.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #39
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
More like the need to build out last mile distribution.

Buying up dead malls is one solution. Adding B&M retail is another. Partnering with apartment complexes for lockers is another. Using local contractors for delivery yet another. They're doing a lot of things, not just building bookstores, supermarkets, and convenience stores. Some are experiments, some are opportunistic, and some are strategic expansions. But it's too early to know which is which, other than Whole Foods. That one is going to stick.
Malls would take more money to convert to a distribution center than building one from the ground up. Distribution centers need a large loading dock and malls do not have that. Especially those that had movie theaters in them.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #40
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:

Whole foods....
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:16 AM   #41
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Malls would take more money to convert to a distribution center than building one from the ground up. Distribution centers need a large loading dock and malls do not have that. Especially those that had movie theaters in them.
Apache
That would depend on whether an empty lot is available in the correct location. Where malls are located would be a good location to allow self pickup. An old B&N would not be. They tend to be in areas that attract foot traffic. At least the B&N I have seen don't have a lot of parking spots.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 06-08-2019 at 10:18 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #42
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Plus they are in a lot of other chains: Best Buy, Staples, ... Maybe not for eink as much, but for Fire tablets, Alexa devices, Fire TV, ...

The need to have a presence to counter Google, Roku, ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:02 PM   #43
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
Amazon begs to differ.
Here's the link again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k53IDbtP-58

BTW, the malls I'm familiar with all have loading docks: they need ways to move merchandise in and garbage out. Usually hidden near the garbage dumpsters but very accessible. Also, the preferred location criteria for malls are the same as for distribution centers, right up to public transportation accessibility.

Last edited by fjtorres; 06-08-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #44
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Yeah, where they park their vans. They have their own blue vans doing delivery here. I'm still waiting for the flying drones to deliver stuff.
Give it a few more months..
https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/05/a-...elivery-drone/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #45
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I wonder if Amazon is talking to DARPA.
Five pounds of C4 makes a fair amount of noise.

(Good money to be made there.)