Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #16
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
I actually have progressive bifocals but I hate them (I'm 47 and this is my first pair). I feel like I have tunnel vision when using the bottoms and I have to hold stuff too far away to hit the focus point, which I guess was my fault, because when I got tested for them they said, "hold a book like you are reading it" and I guess they adjust for that. I obviously held too far away.

Good news is I've had them long enough that it is time for a new pair. I think I will go with two pairs, one being dedicated reading glasses, hopefully, better tuned for distance.
Yeah, I tried progressives and hated them. With mine the starting point was right in the middle so when I looked straight ahead things were just a bit blurry. I took them back and got the old fashioned bifocals that have a line; they seemed to think I should be concerned about it being visible to someone looking at me but I felt that it was time to stop pretending I was a potential male model.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:47 PM   #17
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think I will go with two pairs, one being dedicated reading glasses, hopefully, better tuned for distance.
12 inches is about the right distance for me for books. Twice that for the computer. But I know what you're saying when they want you to try it; it's hard to remember where I hold a book. The other thing is I make a separate visit/appointment for picking the frames from the eye exam. For the eye exam mine always use the drops that dilate my pupils and then everything is a mess.
Advert
Old 05-30-2019, 08:03 AM   #18
FulciLives
Connoisseur
FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (2017 Model)
Well, I ended up returning the Tablet last night.
FulciLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:10 AM   #19
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Yeah, I tried progressives and hated them. With mine the starting point was right in the middle so when I looked straight ahead things were just a bit blurry. I took them back and got the old fashioned bifocals that have a line; they seemed to think I should be concerned about it being visible to someone looking at me but I felt that it was time to stop pretending I was a potential male model.
I have progressives and and a pair of single vision. If I’m going to be reading awhile, or working at the computer awhile, I’ll put the single vision glasses on
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:16 PM   #20
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Well, I ended up returning the Tablet last night.
May I ask why?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2019, 01:20 AM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Just heard about this and apparently, the news only broke a couple of days ago. So far I could only find one review video on YouTube. Early days still I guess.

It looks interesting and it's damn cheap. $64 US Dollars. According to the first YouTube video, this is basically the same hardware as the Amazon Fire HD 8 Tablet but of course, you are getting Android 9.0 instead of Amazon's OS.

Walmart Link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Onn-Andro...et-8/767511102

YouTube Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Oh1_U7t30
It's not going to pull me away from my Surface. But all things being equal, I definitely prefer Android 9 (i'm using it on my Pixel 3) to the Amazon version of Android.

Sideloaded Play Store or no, Fire OS just is a subpar Android to me.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:53 AM   #22
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am having difficulty with self control. I want to buy the Walmart tablet. I have 3 equivalent Fire HD 8's in my house already. And I just got my new iPad mini with so much storage I don’t need to carry the Kindles any,ore on trips to have movies on the go.

For reading and watching video...these tablets are fine. For web surfing they are not fast enough for my taste and I grab my iPad.

I KNOW the battery life will suck on the Walmart tablet too. But I want it anyway.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #23
FulciLives
Connoisseur
FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (2017 Model)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
May I ask why?

Shari
The main reason: lack of resolution.

Text was not smooth looking. You could see stair-stepping along with fuzziness. Small detailed images, like YouTube thumbnails for instance, also looked absolutely horror due to lack of resolution.

Also, the rear camera was absolutely worthless. My bank has an app where you can take a picture of a check and deposit it using that image. All without having to go to the bank with the check. I couldn't get a clear detailed image of a check with the camera no matter how many times I tried.

Android 9 seemed fine. The Tablet seemed to run smoothly enough. But a lot of good that does when the screen looks fugly.
FulciLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #24
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Here's a youtube video from a generally reliable tech review channel.
It is mostly positive for the 8in model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0D5bCgZEZg

And he does warn about the battery life.

Four points to consider:

1- the interface adds a Walmart button to the left of the three standard Android buttons.
2- the button takes you to a set of custom apps: Walmart, Sams, Vudu, and eBooks. (presumably a Kobo-managed site).
3- The hardware specs are identical for both except the 10in model has dual speakers. The screens are both IPS so they shouldn't be terrible.
4- Both are quite competent at surfing, video, and gaming.

Basically, anybody looking to do ebook reading on these should test out the 8in model. If it's not acceptable, the 10in will not be an improvement.

fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:44 AM   #25
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I will definitely consider this as an update to my obsolete Playbook for on-the-go PDF reading. I wish they were revealing the specific SoC though.

For those wondering about storage... I have an older Lenovo tablet with a 32GB Samsung A1 card as adopted storage. App performance is, I would say, acceptable. (The tablet is on Android 6.0.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Here's a youtube video from a generally reliable tech review channel.
It is mostly positive for the 8in model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0D5bCgZEZg

And he does warn about the battery life.

Basically, anybody looking to do ebook reading on these should test out the 8in model. If it's not acceptable, the 10in will not be an improvement.
It's a shame the 10" tablet has the same resolution as the 8". I wonder if they wouldn't have been better off using a higher resolution screen like the Lenovo tabs that have 1920X1200 and just selling the tablets for more. Maybe that wasn't feasible.

Quote:
Four points to consider:
  1. the interface adds a Walmart button to the left of the three standard Android buttons.
  2. the button takes you to a set of custom apps: Walmart, Sams, Vudu, and eBooks. (presumably a Kobo-managed site).
If this is untouched Android 9 (and it appears to be so) you can just install Google Now Launcher from the Play Store and drop the Walmart button.

The custom apps may be uninstallable. Not sure about that.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #27
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

If this is untouched Android 9 (and it appears to be so) you can just install Google Now Launcher from the Play Store and drop the Walmart button.

The custom apps may be uninstallable. Not sure about that.
I favor the Microsoft launcher on my phone. Clean and fast.

The review said the Walmart button shows up everywhere, even in apps, not just the launcher. Makes it sound like its more "slightly groped" Android than untouched.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #28
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:

The review said the Walmart button shows up everywhere, even in apps, not just the launcher. Makes it sound like its more "slightly groped" Android than untouched.
It displays to the left of the other Android navigation buttons (back, home, show running apps). Considering Walmart has to be subsidizing these tablets like Amazon must...it's not THAT bad. Certainly a lot less distracting than the full screen ads on the Fire Tablet.

Everything else is vanilla Android Pie. Pretty nice. And of course, you can install different launchers. This is not at all like the experience of the heavily skinned Fire or Nook tablets.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:22 PM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I think you're reading too much into that. If all those apps are opened using the default launcher, then the Walmart button would of course appear.

Those bottom of the screen buttons are part of the launcher, not the app. If you change the launcher, the buttons will change. Meaning if you install the Google Now launcher or whatever, the Walmart button will go away.

If anyone that actually has one of these tablets could change the launcher and confirm whether or not the Walmart button persists, please post here with the results.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:47 PM   #30
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
The Microsoft launcher on Android? Isn't that the one that when it realizes it's on Android it sneakily makes everything get slower and slower? (j/k).