Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-24-2019, 03:12 PM   #46
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I'm still wondering what the trade offs are between a stripped down android versus linux.
Based on nothing more than my observations, having owned a couple of Nooks and Kobos for a few years, Kobos (running Linux) seem to have better battery life.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:27 PM   #47
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I will likely get one of these, but not right away having purchased 2 Voyages in the last year (1 new, 1 refurbished) in addition to the one I already had. I do want the larger size. Just that alone is reason to get it (only $200!).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2019, 05:58 PM   #48
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Huh, interesting. I like that last part about being able to use ADB.

I'm still wondering what the trade offs are between a stripped down android versus linux.
mainly they run different apps. Android typically has more overhead that Linux. But Android typically provides a way to add apps while Linux may not.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:38 PM   #49
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Awww, I was excited as I liked my initial nook reader (I'm one of the few who seemed to like the large bezel) but with nothing on their website still, I'm kind of wondering. This thing should be plastered all over their front page to take advantage of Memorial Day weekend.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:58 PM   #50
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
Awww, I was excited as I liked my initial nook reader (I'm one of the few who seemed to like the large bezel) but with nothing on their website still, I'm kind of wondering. This thing should be plastered all over their front page to take advantage of Memorial Day weekend.
I know, right?

If I hadn't found the press release on B&N's site I would strongly suspect this was a hoax.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2019, 02:54 AM   #51
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I know, right?

If I hadn't found the press release on B&N's site I would strongly suspect this was a hoax.
After you get one just post an easy to follow howto on running the Kindle or Kobo app on it. No need to switch ecosystems.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:29 AM   #52
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Is the Kindle app semi-usable on an eink device, really? I'm skeptical, but I've never tried it. (And I've never had the need to try the kobo app, I "bought" one book (Total cost: free) there that could be downloaded DRM free and format shifted.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:05 AM   #53
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Is the Kindle app semi-usable on an eink device, really? I'm skeptical, but I've never tried it. (And I've never had the need to try the kobo app, I "bought" one book (Total cost: free) there that could be downloaded DRM free and format shifted.
The Kindle app works reasonably well if the ereader has enough settings to hide animations. But it will depend on which FW you run and which version of Kindle app and from which app store. Newest version straight from Google Play is likely not going to play well.

See here for example for the Boox Note:

https://youtu.be/u3c96lEtEwI

Not saying this is possible on the new Nook, but it is possible on some eink android tablets.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:17 AM   #54
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
"The new E-Ink device joins Barnes & Noble’s lineup of eReaders and tablets, all of which are complemented by the top-rated NOOK mobile app for iPhone and Android. Customers will find the new NOOK in stores on Monday, May 27, and available for purchase online starting Wednesday, May 29."

This is the last paragraph of the press release on BN website.

I recently purchased a new Paperwhite because my Voyage died. I really miss the page turn buttons. I have been looking at the Forma and Oasis but hate spending that much money. I will definitely give this a look.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:03 PM   #55
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
My recent purchase was the Oasis which I like very much & prefer over the Kobo Aura One. May get the B&N at the end of the year IF B&N will allow downloading my books again; never used B&N after finding I was not allowed to download my purchases.

Of course one can just get the new ereader but still buy books at Amazon & convert. Stopped using Google Books for the same reason as for B&N where I was not able to download a book but did get my money back within 15 min. Turns out that the book is a "text book" & so not allowed to download the $35 book.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:25 PM   #56
kova4a
kova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3
I'm totally on board if it comes with an IR screen. Honestly, the screen is the thing you see all the time when using an ereader and at least for me I just can't transition to a non-IR one.

It's one of those things that once you've seen you can't unsee. Every time I turn on my Kobo Aura One I just think of the Glowligh 3 screen. Bought the Inkpad 3, liked the UI and options but the screen was also a huge let down. Tried the Forma and it was the same thing, so I didn't even bother getting it. Tried the new Touch HD 3 and the sadness came again. The HD 2 was fine but the front light was way too inconsistent from unit to unit. The firt unit I got was great but I had an issue and they exchanged it with a new one which was way worse. Exchanged it again but it also was uneven and distracting.

The GL3 might be slow, it might mess up all my sideloaded books every time it runs out of battery, but for me the screen was enough to make up for all the ridiculous shortcomings. I guess I might be a minority or maybe too picky or too sensitive to such issues but I still keep comparing every new device to it. The front light color was also about as good as it gets for keeping the text contrast high. I even played around with the koreader settings on my Aura One to make the color of the comfortlight close to the Nook's.

Last edited by kova4a; 05-25-2019 at 03:27 PM.
kova4a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #57
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
I just hope that Amazon is next (even though they will be last).
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:52 PM   #58
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I do have to say, I kinda hope this is a success, the field of ereaders needs some competition to keep it from going completely stale like web browsers did between the fall of Netscape in the late 90s/early 2000s and the rise of Firefox a few years later
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #59
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Yep, it's very personal. I did end up with 8" (Forma) via 6" (Cybook Gen3) -> 9.7" (Kindle DXG) -> 6.8" (Aura HD/H2O) -> 7.8" (Aura ONE).

I bought the Forma because I wanted the buttons
I bought the Oasis because of the buttons. Very nice to be able to turn the page & dipping into a bag of potato chips without messing up the display.

Also nice is the "back to the original" with the buttons on BOTH sides of the device. Wish I had the nerve to change the OS on my 1st Nook that is now no longer supported.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:00 PM   #60
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
I was always happy enough with a six inch screen (my ereading started with a 3.8 inch Compaq Ipaq) and for quite a while my Glowlight 3 was the most comfortable ereader for me to hold.

My first foray into larger screens was the Oasis 2 but I returned it; I don't know if it was the particular device I got or just my small, kind of weak hands and sensitive skin but I found the Oasis heavy, sharp-edged, and remarkably awkward and uncomfortable. Then I got a Forma and I like it so much that I find I use it almost exclusively now.

Ereader junkie that I am it's a pretty safe bet that I'll buy the new Nook as well.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote