Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-09-2019, 03:57 PM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please do note the following from the Audible Ts&Cs:

Quote:
Risk of Loss. Once we have made Audible Content available to you, you will bear the risk of loss for completing any download of Audible Content after purchase and for any loss of Audible Content you have downloaded, including any loss due to a file corruption or a device or hard drive crash. Purchased Audible Content will generally continue to be available in your Audible Account but may become unavailable due to possible content provider licensing restrictions or other reasons, and Audible will not be liable to you if Audible Content becomes unavailable for further download. You will not receive a full or partial refund of any fees already paid in such situations. Accordingly, we encourage you to download Audible Content promptly after purchase and to make a back-up copy.
Ie it's your responsibility to back it up and keep it safe!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #47
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2019, 10:07 PM   #48
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I've had them discontinue British audiobooks for sale, but never had them take one back that was no longer available in the States.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:28 AM   #49
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
I have cancelled and restarted my membership numerous times. I have never lost a single audiobook file.
Same here. And I've plenty of audiobooks that aren't available anymore at all.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:12 AM   #50
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

That's the first thing that I do when I buy an audiobook, download it and back it up.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2019, 12:24 PM   #51
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sorry. I guess I still don't get it. I figure if you can't manage to use 1 credit per month, then you clearly didn't need an audible membership in the first place.

I feel for those who may have let their credit situation get the best of them, but throwing good money after bad isn't the answer. Get out before you (rhetorical) go under.
I am on the 24 credit/year pre-paid plan. Last year, I had a lot going on and didn't use as many credits as usual, so I still had 8 credits left when I was close to renewal. It would have been nice if they had allowed me to pause my membership for a few months before renewing, or switch to a one-credit monthly pay temporarily. But according to Audible, any switch from the 2 credits/month plan would void those outstanding credits.

So instead of buying books you want when you want, you have to scramble to use credits on books and hope you will want to read them later. I love Audible, but it left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #52
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Is it possible to somehow get content backed up on your computer into your phone's Audible app?
Old 04-10-2019, 01:08 PM   #53
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
Is it possible to somehow get content backed up on your computer into your phone's Audible app?
It's certainly possible to side load audible books, at least on Apple devices, if that is what you mean.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:15 PM   #54
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
I download and back up all my audiobooks. I do not use the Audible app for my books so I do not know if you are able to remove books from that. but I have an iPhone and it is not as easy to pull stuff from as Android, but that is my opinion.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #55
SleepyBob
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It's certainly possible to side load audible books, at least on Apple devices, if that is what you mean.
Yes, that's what I mean, but Android for me. Do you just copy them into the Audible directory? I don't see any options in the app for sideloading.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #56
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, that's what I mean, but Android for me. Do you just copy them into the Audible directory? I don't see any options in the app for sideloading.
With Apple, you use iTunes and can listen via the Audible app or iBooks app. I'm not sure how it works on Android. You might have better luck asking in the audiobook forum.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:01 PM   #57
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
I was an audible member for years and never had an issue with them. I thought it was very clear how the system worked. If I was going to cancel my membership and had credits I used them. When I got caught back up and wanted more I started again and bought some more. Now years later I still have access to the 150 or so books I purchased and can listen anytime I want to. As of late I’ve been borrowing library books but at the time it was as good as Audibles service.

I think this is just a lawyers game to go after a company.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:29 PM   #58
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
I am on the 24 credit/year pre-paid plan. Last year, I had a lot going on and didn't use as many credits as usual, so I still had 8 credits left when I was close to renewal. It would have been nice if they had allowed me to pause my membership for a few months before renewing, or switch to a one-credit monthly pay temporarily. But according to Audible, any switch from the 2 credits/month plan would void those outstanding credits.

So instead of buying books you want when you want, you have to scramble to use credits on books and hope you will want to read them later. I love Audible, but it left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.
See this post of mine from earlier in the thread. You and I were on the same plan and in the same situation, and it sounds like at close to the same time. I talked to them and they offered to let me switch to a plan that was basically without active membership but with keeping all my credits active. It was I think $10 per year until I use my credits up.

Edit- I just signed in and looked at what I'm on. It's called 'Inactive Light' and it's '$9.95 per year' to 'keep your existing credits' active without being an active member.

Last edited by sun surfer; 04-12-2019 at 11:34 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #59
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Edit- I just signed in and looked at what I'm on. It's called 'Inactive Light' and it's '$9.95 per year' to 'keep your existing credits' active without being an active member.
How is that going to work when credits now expire after 12 months? Wouldn't existing credits expire during the first Inactive Light year?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:12 AM   #60
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I'm not sure, Catlady, as I didn't know that credits did expire after 12 months now. I guess you'll have to ask them. I will say this- I was put on the inactive plan last May and my remaining credits are still good despite being a year and 11 months old now. Perhaps the inactive light plan negates any expires-after-12-months clause.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote