Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-15-2024, 04:24 PM   #1
baursak
baursak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2021) Signature Edition
library portability - illusion or ...

1. can I transfer my local Calibre library from macbook to Calibre on windows notebook?
- in what way?

2. furthermore, - can I put my library to let's say Google Drive and switch occasionally from Calibre on macbook (through Google Drive client in Finder) to Calibre on windows notebook (through Google Drive client in Explorer) and back again

in the past I worked in such a way in JetBrains app with quite success (macbook at home, windows notebook in office) - the data was synchronized in seconds

as to Calibre database behavior I have no idea yet
baursak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 05:15 PM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by baursak View Post
2. furthermore, - can I put my library to let's say Google Drive and switch occasionally from Calibre on macbook (through Google Drive client in Finder) to Calibre on windows notebook (through Google Drive client in Explorer) and back again
No. This will destroy your library.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=205581

Also do not store your main library on Dropbox, OneDrive, a network drive, or anything along those lines. SQLite database is not designed for those conditions and there's a few hundred threads along the lines of "it worked for years, now it's corrupted "

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-15-2024 at 05:17 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2024, 05:21 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by baursak View Post
1. can I transfer my local Calibre library from macbook to Calibre on windows notebook?
- in what way?
You can use the export/import tool. On your current calibre install, click on the library icon and then click on Export/import all calibre data. Follow the instructions and be patient. Copy all the files generated to a removable device and import them on your Windows notebook.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 06:22 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You can use the export/import tool. On your current calibre install, click on the library icon and then click on Export/import all calibre data. Follow the instructions and be patient. Copy all the files generated to a removable device and import them on your Windows notebook.
When doing the above, I strongly suggest that the original library not be deleted until the import is successful.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 04:34 AM   #5
baursak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
No. This will destroy your library.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=205581

Also do not store your main library on Dropbox, OneDrive, a network drive, or anything along those lines. SQLite database is not designed for those conditions and there's a few hundred threads along the lines of "it worked for years, now it's corrupted "
OK, stopped even to think about it
Advert
Old 03-17-2024, 04:37 AM   #6
baursak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
that's exactly what I've chosen