Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
sameerjoad
The force is strong here!
sameerjoad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sameerjoad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sameerjoad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sameerjoad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Talking Free Limited Time (Kindle) Books Listings

Hey guys,

I will be listing kindle books here everyday that are free on kindle for a limited time (via KDP Select Promos). So grab them before they are gone and happy reading!

Free Kindle Books for 18th June 2012 are:
1. Revenge of the Home Coming Queen
2. Beware of the Blue Haired Men
3. Wicked Hungry
4. The Marlowe Transmissions: Scavenger’s War
5. A Ripple in Time – Angel of the Titanic
6. The Prisoner
7. Going Insane
8. Lacuna: The Sands of Karathi
9. Boundaries: A New Way to Look at the World

Last edited by sameerjoad; 06-18-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Links Removed
Old 06-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
Thanks! The more opportunities to find new authors -- the better!
Advert
Old 06-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
self-promotion (to affiliate site).

wrong forum.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
sameerjoad
sameerjoad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sameerjoad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sameerjoad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sameerjoad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
self-promotion (to affiliate site).

wrong forum.
How is listing free books considered self promotion? And it will be affiliate promotion if i am posting affiliate links here, not doing that here am i? People post free books which have links to all their personal blogs, forums and other sites. Now whatever links those 3rd party sites contain, shouldn't be a criteria to share something, is it?
Old 06-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
You are promoting your blog - use a signature and post links direct to Amazon (with no affiliate links).

Or, you can create one affiliate thread/month and use links (with affiliate tags) direct to the place (such as Amazon) that has the free/bargain books.

In your affiliate thread, you need to clearly tell people that the links benefit you (see the rules at the top of this particular forum), even for free books.

Otherwise, please join the ghetto with all the authors! The self-promotion forum is for links to your website/blog or to books you have written.

Or, I'd hazard a guess that your risk having the moderators ban you (as I know they have done to others).

I don't make the rules, but everyone (including me) gets to play by them.
Advert
Old 06-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
sameerjoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
You are promoting your blog - use a signature and post links direct to Amazon (with no affiliate links).

Or, you can create one affiliate thread/month and use links (with affiliate tags) direct to the place (such as Amazon) that has the free/bargain books.

In your affiliate thread, you need to clearly tell people that the links benefit you (see the rules at the top of this particular forum), even for free books.

Otherwise, please join the ghetto with all the authors! The self-promotion forum is for links to your website/blog or to books you have written.

Or, I'd hazard a guess that your risk having the moderators ban you (as I know they have done to others).

I don't make the rules, but everyone (including me) gets to play by them.
From the rules for this section of the forum (I am not sure which rules i am breaking?)

5. Posts which do not contain affiliate links may, of course, continue to be posted as normal to the forum.

These books are written by authors, not me, so i am listing free books.

And yes if posting links to my website where more detailed info of these free books are provided is an issue then yes i can link them directly to amazon but i don't see any rules. (For your convenience i have removed the links)

And i guess you don't understand the affiliate concept. I don't make money on free books, people don't pay to download them. (In case you are accusing me of spamming with affiliate links?)

P.S i wasn't aware back moderating is allowed on this forums as well. If you have an issue with the thread kindly forward it to a moderator (in case i am breaking any rules that i am unaware of), instead of highjacking the thread.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerjoad View Post
And i guess you don't understand the affiliate concept. I don't make money on free books, people don't pay to download them. (In case you are accusing me of spamming with affiliate links?)
Koland, as well as all of us, understand the affiliate concept. YOU by putting YOUR affiliate link on a 'free' book, and we, by clicking on your 'free' link give YOU a small profit on any other non free Amazon purchases.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
sameerjoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookratt View Post
Koland, as well as all of us, understand the affiliate concept. YOU by putting YOUR affiliate link on a 'free' book, and we, by clicking on your 'free' link give YOU a small profit on any other non free Amazon purchases.
And what has that to do with this thread? Do you see any affiliate links to the post i made? The links were to a post on the blog, not affiliate links to amazon.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And what has that to do with this thread? Do you see any affiliate links to the post i made? The links were to a post on the blog, not affiliate links to amazon.
You asked a question about the affiliate tags to Koland in your response post above, I was answering.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
sameerjoad

Quote:
You asked a question about the affiliate tags to Koland in your response post above, I was answering.
I didn't ask a question, i was answering to Koland who has informed me that my links somehow are in breach of rules (Links that are not affiliate links)

Anyways never mind, i have removed them. But it is very rude to hijack a thread and start a flame war, where else he could have clearly PMed me or a moderator in case i did break any rules.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
bookratt
Wizard

Ok, you made a Statement, and I was giving a response. Pardon me.

She stated you cannot promote a blog on this forum page. She also stated that you must spell out that if you are using affiliate tags, you must disclose this up front.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
Quote:
From the rules for this section of the forum (I am not sure which rules i am breaking?).....

P.S i wasn't aware back moderating is allowed on this forums as well. If you have an issue with the thread kindly forward it to a moderator (in case i am breaking any rules that i am unaware of), instead of highjacking the thread.
Ah, Well.... somebody's going to have to do it.....
Koland, as Bookrat just pointed out, definitely understands the affiliate system. Koland runs a well-respected book blog, recognized by all who frequent here and many who don't.
Koland also has a very good understanding of what is allowed here, and what isn't-- notice the Grand Wizard notation under Koland's name? That designation is earned by the number of Koland's posts to this forum.
While there are official moderators here, the forums are largely self-policing. Official actions come from the moderators, but all the regulars here understand the rules, and will politely point them out to you the first time you break them.
If you want to see how to do it RIGHT, search for posts by Koland or Arcadata-- both members run there own blogs, and both have affiliate threads, and other posts offering free books with proper direct links and no affiliate tags.

The basic rules are simple: If you post a book deal in this forum, other than via an affiliate thread, you're expected to post a clear, simple, direct link to where the book is offered (in this case, directly to Amazon), with no affiliate tags added. You're not to use hidden links (tinyurl, etc.), and you're not to link only to a page that links on to offer the books through an affiliate system.

If you wish to start an affiliate thread, you're free to offer links to books, free or not, that you think would be of interest to the forum members. If you do a great job of identifying books (as do Arcadata and Koland) thru your thread, forum members will read your thread. If you do a bad job, we won't read your thread.

In your search for member posts suggested above, you will note that Koland's posts contain a link in the signature line that lead to a personal blog-- this is allowed, even when Koland is posting a free book that has a proper no-affiliate format. I can click thru to Koland's blog (or Arcadata's, etc.), see what other books they've got to tell me about, and reward them for their help by purchasing through there affiliate links in their affiliate threads here, or by going to Amazon to purchase any book I want after clicking through to Amazon, etc, through a link on their blog.

If you don't want to use the standards above, you're supposed to post in the "self-promotion" forum.
There really aren't any exceptions, and arguing about it isn't likely to change anybody's mind. (And slamming Koland definitely isn't going to win you any big admirers here.)

KentE
Old 06-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #13
sameerjoad

Quote:
Ok, you made a Statement, and I was giving a response. Pardon me.

She stated you cannot promote a blog. She also stated that you must spell out that if you are using affiliate tags, you must disclose this up front.
My apologies if i came out rude. I know what she stated, however her comments were off topic and irrelevant to the thread as i did not use any affiliate tags or links in this thread. Yes i did post link to the original blog post where the books are mentioned, but i have removed those as well.

I don't get what's the big fuss about for sharing a bunch of free books? That too without affiliate links within the thread.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
sameerjoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentE View Post
Ah, Well.... somebody's going to have to do it.....
Koland, as Bookrat just pointed out, definitely understands the affiliate system. Koland runs a well-respected book blog, recognized by all who frequent here and many who don't.
Koland also has a very good understanding of what is allowed here, and what isn't-- notice the Grand Wizard notation under Koland's name? That designation is earned by the number of Koland's posts to this forum.
While there are official moderators here, the forums are largely self-policing. Official actions come from the moderators, but all the regulars here understand the rules, and will politely point them out to you the first time you break them.
If you want to see how to do it RIGHT, search for posts by Koland or Arcadata-- both members run there own blogs, and both have affiliate threads, and other posts offering free books with proper direct links and no affiliate tags.

The basic rules are simple: If you post a book deal in this forum, other than via an affiliate thread, you're expected to post a clear, simple, direct link to where the book is offered (in this case, directly to Amazon), with no affiliate tags added. You're not to use hidden links (tinyurl, etc.), and you're not to link only to a page that links on to offer the books through an affiliate system.

If you wish to start an affiliate thread, you're free to offer links to books, free or not, that you think would be of interest to the forum members. If you do a great job of identifying books (as do Arcadata and Koland) thru your thread, forum members will read your thread. If you do a bad job, we won't read your thread.

In your search for member posts suggested above, you will note that Koland's posts contain a link in the signature line that lead to a personal blog-- this is allowed, even when Koland is posting a free book that has a proper no-affiliate format. I can click thru to Koland's blog (or Arcadata's, etc.), see what other books they've got to tell me about, and reward them for their help by purchasing through there affiliate links in their affiliate threads here, or by going to Amazon to purchase any book I want after clicking through to Amazon, etc, through a link on their blog.

If you don't want to use the standards above, you're supposed to post in the "self-promotion" forum.
There really aren't any exceptions, and arguing about it isn't likely to change anybody's mind. (And slamming Koland definitely isn't going to win you any big admirers here.)

KentE
Thank you for clearing it out without being rude.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
The last thing I can imagine myself doing is trying to find (good) new authors by reading every new release. I'll consider reading a new author when that author's book has consistently good reviews. There is far too much existing in the way of entertaining reading to bother with sorting through the chaff. There is a LOT of chaff.

If a book mentions vampires, dragons, black belted female protagonists, yet another "Christians ain't so Christian" story or anything that could possibly be described as "Mommy Porn", I'll actively ignore it.

Last edited by DarkScribe; 06-18-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
free kindle books