Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
'Published date' and 'originally published date'

^ Can we have a distinction between the two?

The metadata shown in Calibre doesn't (on the surface at least) distinguish between the publication date of a particular edition (say a new eBook edition) and the original date of publication of that particular book.

I'd like to have both dates. The original published date is useful when reading an author's works in chronological order. Further, it is just nice to know!

I organise my music collection (all FLAC!) and have tags (mostly from MusicBrainz) for both release date and original release date. I'd love to be able to have the same for my EPUB collection!

Anybody else wishing this?

An example I have is my copy of Lolita by Nabokov. In Calibre the date is given as 1955, though the eBook was released in 2010. I don't know which tag (if there are two date tags) Calibre is reading!

P.S. I've started a few threads asking for help with Calibre; please have patience with me - I'm no newbie when it comes to computers, but Calibre does have a learning curve when it comes to scratching beneath the surface and discovering its idiosyncrasies and nuances.

Many thanks.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I ignore the 'published date' Calibre uses for just that reason and have my own custom field for year of publication.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 12:43 AM   #3
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
I had not thought to make another column for original date and have put it to 'published date' field.
Now I see that 2 columns is better...
Like on occasions where later edition has fore- or afterword; also it shows that book is worthy to be reprinted even after 30-40 years.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote