Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #91
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
I'm not (yet) using a Sony reader, but I really like the Gill Sans font-family. I hope it renders as good on my (hopefully soon arriving) PRS-950 as it does on the Nook.
I like the clarity of the font and the fact that I can have a line spacing of just 1 with it, which gives me more text per page/less page-turnes
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #92
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony T1, Onyx C67ML, Poke 4, Boyue Paper/Likebook
Fontin on my 350 and I created a modified version of Fontin (which is a little bit bolder) in my 505
colibris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #93
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCotton View Post
How do you do that, increase the line spacing? I have seen people use these together:

p { line-height: 130% }
div { line-height: 130% }

Do you need both?
I don't really do HTML, but use a series of programs to get the results I want. Because of the way I started making LRFs with Book Designer, it developed that I now use BD to save as an HTM file. Next is Sigil to adjust font and chapters. Finally Calibre.

So I'm not sure what takes precedence when.

Here is what is in Sigil:

Code:
    body.sgc-8 {FONT-WEIGHT:normal; 
FONT-SIZE:small; 
MARGIN-BOTTOM:245px; 
LINE-HEIGHT:131%; 
FONT-FAMILY:GeorgiaEInk15}
And this is what I use to run through Calibre:

Code:
@font-face {
 font-family: GeorgiaEInk15;
 font-weight: normal;
 font-style: normal;
 src: url(res:///Data/fonts/GeorgiaEInk15.ttf);
}
@font-face {
 font-weight: bold;
 font-style: normal;
 src: url(res:///Data/fonts/GeorgiaEInk15Bold.ttf);
}
@font-face {
 font-weight: normal;
 font-style: italic;
 src: url(res:///Data/fonts/GeorgiaEInk15Italic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
 font-weight: bold;
 font-style: italic;
 src: url(res:///Data/fonts/GeorgiaEInk15-BoldItalic.ttf);
}
body {
 line-height: 131%;
}
My guess is that BD puts out kind of strange HTML. So I don't know how to control my end result in a more efficient way. But this works in the end.

Maybe these examples will at least give you more information.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #94
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
If you are referring to my work on a new Nimbus font - Sorry, I was out of town last week, and over the weekend.

Now that I'm back, hope to have something soon . . .

Hi

Any progress on completing the Nimbus Mod fonts?
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #95
prsita
Enthusiast
prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.prsita is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: PRS 650
Waiting for the NimbusMe fonts still missing (delphin, apparently, have abandoned us), j use GeorgiaEInk15, wich is semibold and have a good rendering.
prsita is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #96
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsita View Post
Waiting for the NimbusMe fonts still missing (delphin, apparently, have abandoned us), j use GeorgiaEInk15, wich is semibold and have a good rendering.

Is this a free or a proprietary font? I did a quick search but was unable to find it. Have you got a link?
Old 10-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #97
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsita View Post
Is this a free or a proprietary font? I did a quick search but was unable to find it. Have you got a link?
I use the GeorgiaEInk25 the link is found here.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:00 AM   #98
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I use the GeorgiaEInk25 the link is found here.
Thanks very much for the information.

Currently I am using Liberation serif which I find very clean and clear but I would like to get two or three nice fonts for a bit of variety.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #99
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Trebuchet MS.

Clean and simple, but not too clean and simple.
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #100
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Amasis

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...4&d=1314808223

I've modified to make it semibold. Easier on my eyes that way.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #101
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by yegon View Post
Trebuchet MS.

Clean and simple, but not too clean and simple.
I agree but it does not meet my needs. I have poor eyesight. I therefore convert my ebooks to a base font of 18pt. This allows me to reduce the font size on my ereader to 12pt, which I find confortable. It also means I have some enlargement in hand if my eyes deteriorate.

I prefer serif fonts for aesthetic reasons and because I find them easier to read. At 12pt I find the serifs display well.

I have recently adodpted Liberation Serif as my font for the following reasons:-

1. It is a serif font
2. It characters appear to have a good contrast (some fonts seem grayish)
3. It allows a goodly amount of text on a page
4. It is free
5. I find it aesthetically acceptable

i have added Clearface and Lido STF CE to the collection of fonts I will use for the above reasons and to add a little variety to my ebooks.

I have tried but rejected the following fonts:-

DejaVu Serif
Garamond
Georgia EInk
Lucida Bright
Minion Pro

And other fonts which either are not free or do not have italic and or bold types in their family. But if anyone has any other suggestions which meet reasons 1-4, I would like to have a look at them.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #102
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
And other fonts which either are not free or do not have italic and or bold types in their family. But if anyone has any other suggestions which meet reasons 1-4, I would like to have a look at them.
I used to use Gentium. It is not a serif font, but it isn't quite san-serif either. Have a look.

Now I use Ubuntu font. It is san-serif and very minimalistic, but since I have loaded it into my reader I haven't used anything else. It is professionally designed font and has very well tweaked hinting.
At large sizes on computer screen it looks ... weird. You have to try it on reader. It looks surprisingly well.
http://font.ubuntu.com/

For a choice of good, professional fonts see http://www.google.com/webfonts
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #103
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Thanks kacir for this recommendation. It really looks surprisingly well on eInk.

Ubuntu font also reads very fluently, which turned out to be a criteria to me, when starting to experiment with fonts during the last weeks.

At the moment I have installed:
Angleterre (nice for English mystery)
DejaVu Sans
DejaVu Serif
Fontin
FreeSerif
Gentium
Georgia EInk
Goudy Bookletter 1911 (even more beautiful than Angleterre, but a bit slow to read)
LexiaDaMa
Liberation Serif
Palatia
Ubuntu

All of them are fine (I tried more), however, mostly I use:

Fontin, Palatin, Gentium and now Ubuntu.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:58 AM   #104
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard

[QUOTE=vishcompany;1801288]Thanks kacir for this recommendation. It really looks surprisingly well on eInk.

Ubuntu font also reads very fluently, which turned out to be a criteria to me, when starting to experiment with fonts during the last weeks.

At the moment I have installed:
QUOTE]

Thanks for the list I got the name of five fonts which I had not tried. I will give them a try in the next few days and see how I get on with them.

I also want to compile a list of the fonts I have evaluated , with comments. It wil only contain free serif and semi serif types. I will then post the list if someone has not already posted something similar, which I have missed.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #105
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Thanks for the list I got the name of five fonts which I had not tried. I will give them a try in the next few days and see how I get on with them.

I also want to compile a list of the fonts I have evaluated , with comments. It wil only contain free serif and semi serif types. I will then post the list if someone has not already posted something similar, which I have missed.
I have been following / commenting in numerous threads concerning the best font. I see the same things coming up again and again and again.

Perhaps you could start a Wiki page with the commented list of fonts and then start discussion. If several people submit their favorites (I certainly will), free, not-quite-free and also commercial we could cover quite a lot of options.
Then when there is new thread about fonts, we could just point people to our wiki.

Wiki is accessible through the link at the top of this page.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote