Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Angry How (not) to sell an ebook

I can't find it online, but in this week's Micro Mart magazine there is an article on how to make money from your creative work. How to sell mp3s, how to sell ebooks, etc online.

It said the best way to sell your ebook is to create a PDF of it and upload it to lulu.com.

Has that ever been true? PDF is the worst format you could ever have for an ebook, and who would think of looking on lulu.com for one anyway?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm not sure who would look for it on lulu... but don't forget, PDFs are still one of the most popular digital document formats, and plenty of people still read by them (mostly on PCs and laptops).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
True, Steve. But a huge part of the PDF slice of the digital pie is documents, technical work, forms, and complex texts and with footnotes, reference links, graphs, pictures, etc. I don't know if there are yet any statistics that would give us an idea of the most popular formats for straight novels. Excluding PDF-for-print, I'd guess ePub with Mobi running a close second because of the dominance of Kindle. My own indie house turns out PDF, ePub and Mobi, and so far PDF is running a slow third in popularity. Could be, of course, that we pitch our ebooks more toward an ebook-dedicated reading device readership. And we may see PDFs pick up once we've taken off properly with Apple's iBookstore for iPad. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Could be, of course, that we pitch our ebooks more toward an ebook-dedicated reading device readership.
I think that's key, Neil: It depends greatly on the audience and the content. Business and educational-related texts, for instance, have a high PDF segment, selling heavily to laptop readers... fiction is lower PDF, more ePub and Mobi/Kindle.

On the other hand, my father loaded all of my fiction novels, in PDF format, onto his Nook. People are so used to PDFs that they will still ask for them out of familiarity, even if they have the means to read other formats.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
On the other hand, my father loaded all of my fiction novels, in PDF format, onto his Nook. People are so used to PDFs that they will still ask for them out of familiarity, even if they have the means to read other formats.
It would all depend on how the PDF is generated. Is it generated for A4/letter format? Or for that 5"/6" device? If it's the latter, it'll be perfectly readable, as long as you don't need a huge or tiny letter... (assuming the PDF is made up for the average person).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post

Has that ever been true? PDF is the worst format you could ever have for an ebook, and who would think of looking on lulu.com for one anyway?
Funny you should ask...
Long before I had my first eReader, I bought an ebook from Lulu. (Gundog Training Made Easy by Eric Begbie). I have never bought from them again, nor did I even remember they existed until your post. Maybe I should go back and have a look...
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I think that's key, Neil: It depends greatly on the audience and the content. Business and educational-related texts, for instance, have a high PDF segment, selling heavily to laptop readers... fiction is lower PDF, more ePub and Mobi/Kindle.

Take your father's nook and remove the PDF and put on the ePub and watch him actually be able to finally read without issue.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lulu's site is a mess of confusion.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I always though of Lulu as more of a Print on Demand company. Maybe that's what the article meant?

I guess that's going to be somewhat hurting from e-reader competition. But I know a lot of small companies (very small) use it for RPG books and such, which probably don't work very well on most e-readers (I guess on iPads, but that's about it).
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
At my publishing company, over 60% of sales are in PDF format. Still, I'd never say it's good advice to rely on PDF and Lulu.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Take your father's nook and remove the PDF and put on the ePub and watch him actually be able to finally read without issue.
I've seen the PDFs on the Nook (and my PDFs are, of course, tagged). They are perfectly readable, flow perfectly, don't take long to load. I personally loaded some ePubs on it later, and there was no significant difference in readability or performance. My mom-in-law has read most of my books, and a number of professionally-prepared books from B&N, on the Nook, and never once mentioned any difference in readability between the two.

Further proof that properly tagged PDFs, read on certain devices, are as good an ebook format as anything else...
Old 11-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I've seen the PDFs on the Nook (and my PDFs are, of course, tagged). They are perfectly readable, flow perfectly, don't take long to load. I personally loaded some ePubs on it later, and there was no significant difference in readability or performance. My mom-in-law has read most of my books, and a number of professionally-prepared books from B&N, on the Nook, and never once mentioned any difference in readability between the two.

Further proof that properly tagged PDFs, read on certain devices, are as good an ebook format as anything else...
Have a URL to one of your PDFs that I can try on the 650 to see how they look when reflow is used? Thanks.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have a URL to one of your PDFs that I can try on the 650 to see how they look when reflow is used? Thanks.
I'm pretty sure all the PDF formats on my Free Content page are tagged. Go for it.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:00 AM   #14
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I haven't had much luck with pdf files, so I gave it a shot. It can still leave a single line on a page if you have to zoom - I need 250% with this one. It also left a single word on a line near the bottom of the page and the "d" after the apostrophe on the next line, but I don't know if it's the boox pdf viewer causing this or not.

I have seen single letters left on a line, spaces added in between letters of a word, underlines being moved to the next line by themselves, page numbers in the middle of a page, etc., so this one's not so bad.

These are from The_Onuissance_Cells_Steven_Lyle_Jordan.pdf
the last is with no zoom - way too small for me to read, but I need a much larger font than most people
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot_30.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	60487   Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot_32.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	60488   Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot_34.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	60490  
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Every PDF viewer is a bit different, and can handle files differently. Some of them don't handle tagged PDFs any differently than a standard PDF, unfortunately. That's why I always err towards readers made by Adobe, as opposed to third-party PDF readers.

The same file, displayed on the Nook, did not show the same artifacts.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 11-02-2010 at 08:12 AM.