Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-14-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
allisondbl
Connoisseur
allisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Paperwhites 2013 and 2015, Nook Glowlight, iPhone, etc.
Angry HELP! Conflict Hamster and Kranf Collection Manager or at least foldering?

I am aware of the problems with Hamster and Calibre and with all due apologies I tried Calibre for a long time but found it was too complicated for my simple needs: namely just to convert a couple of formats into .mobi and to put books into collections. I still tried to use it out of respect but it could not organize collections properly. So I used it to convert files to .mobi and I used Kindle Collection Manager until Kindle CM stopped working with last Kindle "update." So ... I switched to Kranf Collection Manager for organization. Worked beautifully until ...

Calibre began to A take nearly double digit minutes to load and then B hog CPU so completely it makes computer useless.

So using Kranf to organize, I switched to using Hamster to convert. Fast and easy. BUT

I found that when I ran Kranf it no longer put books into collections. Tried everything running, rerunning Kranf program, going into system folder and deleting all backup going as far back as I could and using old .json file ... nothing.

Then had a brainwave. I added one spanking new folder in to see what happened. It added folder BUT only put two of six books into it.

Puzzled and then idea: checked date I had converted the books that DID go into folder to mobi format or date at which books had been put on my computer and BINGO: they were PRE-Hamster as converter.

So it seems there's a conflict between a file converted from e.g. epub to "amazon" i.e. mobi on Hamster and getting it to go into a folder.

I tried using Kindle CM again by the way to check and no help.

Any ideas? *sob*
allisondbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Nobody is going to help you as long as you are using hamster. So you may as well delete hamster as you'll be shunned until you tell us you've deleted it. hamster is a leech and we'll have nothing to do with helping support it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
Nobody is going to help you as long as you are using hamster. So you may as well delete hamster as you'll be shunned until you tell us you've deleted it. hamster is a leech and we'll have nothing to do with helping support it.
I don't agree with the exact wording of JS's post, but for once I agree completely with the sentiment behind it.

Did you ask for help with your calibre issues before switching to a program that essentially creates a proprietary, commercial front-end to that same exact calibre?

You likely would have gotten all the help you needed had you simply asked. But seeing as how highly Kovid and the rest of the calibre developers are regarded around here, you'll not likely find a lot symapathy for your difficulties in getting the results you desire using a program that has basically slapped them in the face. I'd take it up with Hamster's support system and/or the Kranf Collection Manager developer.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-15-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: fixed annoying typo
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Calibre loads fairly quickly for me even on older hardware so that leads
me to believe that you have something amiss with your computer.

I would suggest:

1. Removing hamster

2. Run CCleaner from CCleaner.com

3. Re-Installing Calibre

I'm a beginner with Calibre and at first found it a bit confusing, but I
just read the doc and played with it until I figured out how to use it.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
JD78
Connoisseur
JD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notes

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know this is a bit off topic, but I am curious about this deal or issue with Hamster. I've never heard of it before this thread, as I use Calibre and the it's collections plugin for everything (one of the few collections managers that are Mac compatible).
JD78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD78 View Post
I know this is a bit off topic, but I am curious about this deal or issue with Hamster. I've never heard of it before this thread, as I use Calibre and the it's collections plugin for everything (one of the few collections managers that are Mac compatible).
hamster basically took Calibre and added a custom front-end to it. They did not keep the GPL v3 terms and they have not released the full source code. Basically, they are trying to steal Calibre for their own uses.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
JD78
Connoisseur
JD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notes

Device: None
Quote:
hamster basically took Calibre and added a custom front-end to it. They did not keep the GPL v3 terms and they have not released the full source code. Basically, they are trying to steal Calibre for their own uses.
Ugh. Thanks for the explanation. Calibre is great and wouldn't want to use anything else.
JD78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD78 View Post
Quote:
JSWolf's answer is a fair summary. If you want more detailed information, see this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146354
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And since the OP admitted straight off to being fully aware of the Hamster/Calibre contention, I find it hard to believe that this is an innocent, sincere plea for help... or in the off chance that it was sincere; ever held much hope that any help would be forthcoming from this particular community.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #10
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
And since the OP admitted straight off to being fully aware of the Hamster/Calibre contention, I find it hard to believe that this is an innocent, sincere plea for help... or in the off chance that it was sincere; ever held much hope that any help would be forthcoming from this particular community.
Amen. Right up there with the users who complain about bad formatting with books they downloaded from the darknet.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:57 PM   #11
allisondbl
Connoisseur
allisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Paperwhites 2013 and 2015, Nook Glowlight, iPhone, etc.
Wow! A seriously sanctimonious group of people here. Clearly I need to look for actual assistance from human beings elsewhere which I will. But for anyone who comes to this thread seeking help I figure I should respond.

As to the Hamster/Calibre conflict - of which I became aware only AFTER I had been forced to give up on Calibre and seek alternatives - respect for the genius of Calibre's developers is why it was mentioned.

As to the sanctimonious sh*te with regard to asking for help with Calibre, I did. Multiple times as anyone who came off their soapbox and actually looked on this bloody site could see. And I specifically noted in the originating post that I only sought an alternative when I could find no way to make it work.

As to reinstalling Calibre and keeping computer clean, I use more cleaners than most people know, and my computer is squeaky. As to reloading and unloading yup. Done and done. And upgraded with every modification regardless of the length of time it took to download and my losing the use of my computer for hours each damn time.

In response to the charming one-handed remark:

"And since the OP admitted straight off to being fully aware of the Hamster/Calibre contention, I find it hard to believe that this is an innocent, sincere plea for help... or in the off chance that it was sincere; ever held much hope that any help would be forthcoming from this particular community."

I'm not sure how YOUR parents raised you darlin' but mine taught me to be respectful and polite, and respect for Calibre which is VERY highly regarded around here is why I tried to explain the problem and acknowledge that I only sought an alternative when I found no help with Calibre and could not give up my computer for the hours it required to baby it. I am glad others find it as brilliant and useful as they do; I completely concur with the former and have not as to the latter.

And knowing that there was "some" problem with Hamster and Calibre hardly adds up to a middling poster being aware that I would receive the level of animosity that has been shown here.

Seriously people: Get a life!

A PM politely pointing out that I was discussing rope in the house of the hanged would have sufficed.

And I am so glad that each and every one of your actions in all of your lives is so absolutely perfect you have no trouble at all throwing stones at everyone else. So next time you're condemned for bad behavior before being given the slightest warning or chance to defend yourself, hear me in the spot on your shoulder reserved for your angel saying: REAP WHAT YOU SOW BEYOTCH!

And for anyone sincerely interested simply in enjoying and using their Kindle as best they can, given that Amazon did not see fit to provide a simple program to make their own product useful: I mean c'mon Jeff really? You provide space for thousands of book and no way to organize??!! I wish you luck in finding help from those willing to actually provide it, and wish continued happiness for all for whom Calibre remains a brilliant solution for Amazon's rare shortsightedness on this product.
allisondbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:15 AM   #12
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisondbl View Post
A lot of svada ...
Wow.
Anyway, I'm back to my
BTW, I have only had one converting problem with Calibre, for which I got an answer and a solution to within minutes, thanks to the Calibre-part of this very forum.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Just so we're perfectly clear, allisondbl...

No one is giving you a hard time for using an alternative to calibre—that's perfectly reasonable. The point is that you switched to—and continued to use after knowing that—the alternative program is violating the license that calibre's code is released under. You came asking for advice for a program who's very existence is—at the very least—legally questionable. You say sanctimonious, I say loyal and conscientious. Meh.

And I do remember your requests for "help" in the calibre forums. If you call immediately making demands the developers weren't willing to concede to "asking for help," (and then subsequently pitching a similar fit to the one in this thread) well...
Old 08-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I am pleased to see that the "Hamster" developers are now bringing it in line with the requirements of the GPL.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #15
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
I have loaded and run Calibre on one Linux PC and on two
Windows PCs; Calibre loads and runs quickly on all of them.

I still believe it is an problem with the OP's PC.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote