Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Thumbs down Kobo = Very poor customer service!

This past weekend I purchased two ePub titles from kobobooks.com and was surprised to discover that one of them was completely blank. One blank white page displayed in ADE, along with a blank white space in lieu of the usual cover art.

Since then, I have emailed Kobo three times describing the problem and lack of a valid book. I even included a snapshot of my computer display illustrating the blank book in ADE.

To date I have not received any response, not one word of communication, which I find completely unacceptable. They do not even publish a telephone number. (I now know why)

Undoubtedly, I am in a minority when it comes to downloading invalid ebooks (a first for me) and these things happen. But it is the customer service, or lack thereof, that makes all the difference in a situation of this sort.

Many love to criticize Amazon, but they have excellent customer service with people available "live" 24/7 to resolve problems immediately.

Buyer beware.

O.k., I feel better now

/vent off
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here is the information you've been looking for...

Registrant:
Indigo Books and Music Inc.

468 King St West
Toronto, Ontario M5V1L8
Canada

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: KOBOBOOKS.COM
Created on: 06-Aug-09
Expires on: 06-Aug-11
Last Updated on: 01-Dec-09

Administrative Contact:
Galperin, Dan dan@shortcovers.com
468 King St West
Toronto, Ontario M5V1L8
Canada
416-977-8737

Technical Contact:
Galperin, Dan dan@shortcovers.com
468 King St West
Toronto, Ontario M5V1L8
Canada
416-977-8737
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jon,

Excellent! Many thanks for your efforts. I got as far as Indigo, but my skills are not up to yours and never did find a phone number. If I don't hear anything today, I will attempt to reach someone by phone.

Regards,

Pat

P.S. Love your new avatar
Old 03-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
zhuxi13
zhuxi13 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505?
Just to let you know that it happened to me about a week ago and I heard back from them in two days. I got a refund without any hassles.

It is annoying, but they will sort it out. I remember them saying that they had checked with the publisher and were not sure when they would get another copy, maybe they are seeing if they can fix it...
zhuxi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
I had a similar hard time with getting a DRM'd ePub off Kobo to work; ADE would download it partly, then fail to 'verify' it, and the ePub wouldn't open (it was corrupted or something). In the end I was actually able to download them properly using Sony's library software instead of Adobe Digital Editions. Might be worth a try?

Regardless, here's hoping they fix this up for you sooner than later.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
I had a similar hard time with getting a DRM'd ePub off Kobo to work; ADE would download it partly, then fail to 'verify' it, and the ePub wouldn't open (it was corrupted or something). In the end I was actually able to download them properly using Sony's library software instead of Adobe Digital Editions. Might be worth a try?

Regardless, here's hoping they fix this up for you sooner than later.
I did have a problem with an eBook from Simon & Schuster's web site. ADE didn't keep a copy when it had a problem with the DRM not allowing it to be viewed. Reader Library did keep a copy. I was then able to strip the DRM. The book was a real mess. It was awful. The CSS was a mess. I had to clean that up so it displayed as it should have and then I was able to fix it to display how I wanted it.

If you strip the DRM from these Kobo books, maybe you can see what's wrong and fix it if it's fixable.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Jon,

Excellent! Many thanks for your efforts. I got as far as Indigo, but my skills are not up to yours and never did find a phone number. If I don't hear anything today, I will attempt to reach someone by phone.

Regards,

Pat

P.S. Love your new avatar
I tried a web search to find the phone number and that failed. Then I got the idea to try looking up who owns the DNS via Go Daddy and I was able to get the info you see posted.

And thanks about the avatar. I have one to go with it for the next one. I think you'll like that one too.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
Skydog
Wizard

It is comforting to know that others have had similar file problems as well. Certainly it is bound to happen, particularly for those of us who download many books.

Yes, it will be sorted out eventually but my point in posting (and complaining) is that the vendor should be prepared to resolve such issues quickly and, at the very least, respond to the customer ASAP but, absent an advertised phone number, that apparently is a low priority. The customer should not be the one wasting their time and jumping through hoops.

(and there went a perfectly good coupon down the drain)

Happy reading!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Have you tried stripping the DRM and fixing the eBook?
Old 03-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you tried stripping the DRM and fixing the eBook?
Jon,

Yes, that's the first thing I did but nothing appears in ADE or Sigil.

I suspect something has corrupted the file (or a portion of it is missing) and the publisher will have to supply another.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Jon,

Yes, that's the first thing I did but nothing appears in ADE or Sigil.

I suspect something has corrupted the file and the publisher will have to supply another.
I recently had to fix an ePub I made that had a broken <br /<br />. All that would show up is the chapter title. So maybe something is broken that's preventing ADE from displaying as ADE can be picky.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I recently had to fix an ePub I made that had a broken <br /<br />. All that would show up is the chapter title. So maybe something is broken that's preventing ADE from displaying as ADE can be picky.
Well, that makes perfect sense to me. I am still a novice when it comes to ePubs and am rapidly learning thanks to you and everyone here on MR. I wish I had a better knowledge of HTML and CSS's than that of a n00b.

When I find some time, I'll have a second look at it in Sigil and actually scroll through the whole thing to see if it is actually all blank.

Thanks very much!
Old 03-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #13
pedgarcia
Connoisseur
pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
I've used their support a couple of times through the form at http://kobo.zendesk.com/requests/anonymous/new.

Both times I've received a very quick answer. Maybe I was lucky, or you unlucky...

Regards

Paulo
pedgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #14
Minglewood
Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Glow
Thanks for offering the pros and cons on this topic.I've ordered from Kobo a few times with no incident. Sure hope it stays that way.
Minglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #15
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I've had nothing but good service from Kobo. They've responded fast and, in every case, solved my problem. Mind you, I've only had a couple
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote