Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-23-2009, 02:53 AM   #1
Douglasco
Douglasco began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon monopoly or touch screen?
Best Auto Feed Scanner for books? Need advice

I'm new to this and will be honest that i read a few threads in this forum and have no idea what you guys are talking about for the most part. So i decided to search scanner and only found 2 reviews of scanners that aren't autofeed. Sure it would be great to find one that turns the pages. But i'm talking about cutting the binding and putting a whole stack into the feeder and pushing a button. I don't have time to scan every page. I have used one in the past, but that was only on 8.5x11. I think ability to accomodate varying page sizes would be the most crucial feature.
Douglasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

The Fujitsu SnapScan S510 is considered quite a good one.
You can check reviews in Amazon.

Best scanning,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglasco View Post
I'm new to this and will be honest that i read a few threads in this forum and have no idea what you guys are talking about for the most part.
I see you found the Lounge.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
"Best" autofeed is a problematic issue. Best for what kind of documents? In what price range?

At my job, we use the older version of the Fujitsu fi-6770 for a lot of our scanning. (Ours have a 5 prefix instead of 6; they're not on the website. I don't remember the exact numbers.) We often scan a few thousand pages a day--we need high speed, multi-function, compatible with scanning database software scanners. They run somewhat more than $5,000... I doubt that's what you're looking for. (It's a great scanner. I've been spoiled by working with scanners that scan 60-90 ppm; the little all-in-one fax/copy/scan machines seem horribly slow.)

If you know what you'll be scanning (pages from binders, paperbacks with the spines cut off, textbooks with the spines cut off, whatever), mention that, because it'll help people recommend scanners that work for the documents you have.

Some small scanners won't deal with anything more than 8.5" wide, which means they can't deal with many textbooks. Some won't work on postcard/photo sized docs. Some won't scan duplex, or do so incredibly slowly.

Mentioning the content you'll be scanning, the OS of your computer, and any relevant details will help. (E.g.: "it needs to be portable so I can drag it from home to office" or "needs high DPI option for scanning business cards & small photos" or "needs to scan paperback pages well, so must have paper guides for small pages.")
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:25 AM   #5
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Very definitely depends on how much money you want to spend
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert