Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-12-2011, 03:31 AM   #1
uieluck
Connoisseur
uieluck began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, kindle, nook
Nook won't display formatting correctly. Everything else will.

Ok, just when I thought I was becoming "somewhat" competent in the whole ebook formatting, programming and other crap. I've been able to make mobi files, epubs etc. etc. I have validated my crap and it seems to check out. HOWEVER, no matter what I do to my epub file I can't get the formatting to stick in the Nook. I have weird things happening; like "f's" completely dropping out, not honoring the upper & lower case etc. I've searched the forum, Google etc. with no other related articles. I'm also getting sporadic serif to sans-serif fonts in the middle of paragraphs. So now,, I'm completely over the Nook and thinking it really sucks. Has anybody else had problems like these? I've attached the actual epub. I use several editors; Author XML, Sigil, Calipoore, ADE, EpubChecker, etc. etc. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Intimate Life_nook.epub (865.5 KB, 347 views)
uieluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
uieluck
Connoisseur
uieluck began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, kindle, nook
Even the "F" and certain characters are dropping out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-10-12 at 10.31.07 AM.png
Views:	344
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	77678  
uieluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Strayer
Strayer began at the beginning.

Device: none
I used .doc.
Make a copy of the book , save as, in Word .doc.
No fancy fonts or any other fancy stuff.
You use page break between chapters.
Pubit converts the file to epub.
Always look for easier ways to do things.
You probably have all kinds of stuff in the file. Start fresh and I hope it uploads and looks good.
Strayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
Buzz off. That first page looks pretty nicely coded. (Horribly un-semantic, but no MS Word sludge).

The obvious guess is that its due to the use of embedded fonts, which would be easy enough to fix without going back to square 1.

If that's not it, you may have to resort to divide and conquer / binary search etc. Remove all the text except for that first page - still a problem? Find an ebook that works. Reduce the _working_ ebook to a single (working) page of text. Then look at the differences in the code between the two. Then mix & match the code to narrow down exactly what is causing the problem.
sourcejedi is offline   Reply With Quote