Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #241
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamizase View Post
Firmware can be improved over time, contrast and picture quality not so much.

I am curious, what about a place to store the styluys? It has been reported there is none in the chasis of the M60? I hope there is one in the cover coming with it...
There is currently no place to store the styluys on M90 . It is really pretty inconvenient sometimes. I stick the stilys currently in the slot between device and cover.

Last edited by Booxtor; 06-20-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #242
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikamboji View Post
Regarding PDFs:

I have a boox A60 (6 inch reader), but I assume the firmware is similar. I've been using it for over a year. For 99% of pdfs, the page turns instantaneously. I only read one pdf on my boox where it took several seconds like in the video. It was a 12MB pdf of a scan from google books. If you have a natively generated pdf (rather than a pdf of a scan) even with images etc, you won't have that bad delay.

On the other hand, the ability to hide margins and customize your zoom by selecting an area with the pen is really nice.
I agree. There are some good ideas on that reader. I do like the navigation with the stylus in PDFs and DjVUs the ability to hide margins. But as you can see, i've tried very different books and the problem with speed of turning pages remains in all those books (especially in zoom mode). I'm really hoping the problem can be solved, otherwise the device in the current form is not usable for me.
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #243
harikamboji
harikamboji began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox
Yeah, I never experienced that delay or the ghosting you showed during the annotation in your video. So maybe my comparison with the performance of the A60 is not apt. Hopefully it is something they can fix with firmware updates. I can say at least that onyx's A60 updates showed substantial improvements over the past year.
Anyhow, thanks a lot for making your video.
harikamboji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #244
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
The light is on because I had to charge the battery while recording the video. The battery was suddenly empty . This is another issue of M90. Sometimes it loses complete charge just one day after it was fully recharged..
If it is true as Onyx says that the speed should be higher, the battery issue could be from that your machine works to hard on something (let say that it loads something from a memory card all teh time and that takes up 90% of the processing power and that could explain both slow page turns and short battery life). I am very curious for a comparison of the m91s and the pocketbook 902
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #245
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
If it is true as Onyx says that the speed should be higher, the battery issue could be from that your machine works to hard on something (let say that it loads something from a memory card all teh time and that takes up 90% of the processing power and that could explain both slow page turns and short battery life). I am very curious for a comparison of the m91s and the pocketbook 902
You might have right. But in the testing time I have installed three updates to my M90. With each update I hoped it will make the device faster. The result you could see. All the books I've tried are stored to internal memory (not SD card).
I really want to enjoy my device and if ONYX manages it to improve the M90, I will be the first one, who posts here the new review about improvements. I hope my reviews will stimulate their engineers to work harder
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 04:41 AM   #246
andreacoaching
andreacoaching began at the beginning.

Device: Teclast K10 and either Onyxm90 or PB903
is M90 at this stage very slow?

First a lot, thanks a lot lot lot lot (and counting) Booxtor for your great input and work, very useful, i followed may of your messages in last weeks.

I want to buy either PB903 or M90 within a couple of weeks, ready for my summer holidays, so..

Dear friend from Onyx Europe, i hope that M90 is a really great product,
however, can you please publish a comparison video showing, e.g., that the M90 is NOT so slow in epub, pdf, in zoom mode vs PB903?
You coud even publish a M90 video standalone supporting your statement that in your devices M90 is not slow at all and page turn is in less than 1 sec.

Comparison of M91 vs PB902 doesn't help my choice since M90 has a different processor etc.

Cheers

Andrea
andreacoaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:51 AM   #247
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
Kindle DXg (one year) vs. ONYX M91S:

Last edited by kaznelson; 06-21-2011 at 04:53 AM.
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #248
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
However, maybe this is the reason why M91s is just ready to ship while M90 isn't...
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #249
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hello again

Here is my new promised video. On the video I'am comparing the 9,7" devices from Onyx and PocketBook.

Unfortunatelly I've had to split the whole video in two parts.
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNvxXD4NUlc
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYnPo29WQaU
Cheers
Wow the M90 looks extremely slow turning PDF-pages compared to the Pocketbook. Kudos for the videos
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #250
brombus
Enthusiast
brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
Guys, there is sdk available for the Boox M91S. Maybe there's here a good programmer who could write software applications for this ereader? ;-)

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...teJj8XcexDaWpg
brombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #251
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
I don't know but I would guess that you were unlucky and got a faulty product to test or maybe the additional features vs the M91S like the touchscreen aren't that well implemented yet, using excessive amounts of processor power. I just think Onyx wouldn't launch a product with such visible faults, it would be a suicidal move. Some memory leak or an infinite cycle repeating itself, I don't know.

Well but I'm not doubting your work on doing the review, actually I appreciate the work you put unto to it, it's just that I don't believe the product will be launched like that but it was nice to see the comparison between them and the features of both of them.

I still have hope for Onyx, gambatte guys
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #252
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Was the PocketBook in the video doing full refresh or partial refresh? It seemed to me that it was on the setting that only does full refresh every 5 pages. Its especially noticeable during the "Reading FB2" section of video 2 at 4:20 to 5:00.

The M90 can be seen making the full "flashing" page turn the whole time but the PocketBook makes non flashing turns until 4:57ish when it finally does a full black flash turn- which is the same speed as the M90 turn at that time stamp.

If the M90 was in this quick turn mode or the PocketBook was set to "Full Page Update-Always" then i believe the speed would be the same.

In the next sequence this is proven actually. The quick turn settings are not applied when reading DJVU material and you can see the page turns are of similar speed.

Clearly, though, the code is not optimized yet. The part in video one where it shows the M90 taking longer to turn zoomed pages than not zoomed pages. That's never happened in 6 inch device firmware builds that I remember. Its a matter of page buffering, Im sure that will get worked out in subsequent builds.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #253
Iskander
Iskander began at the beginning.

Device: in search of a large reader for science articles
Booxtor, would you mind posting a high resolution photo comparing the M90 display side by side with your pocketbook 90x (just as kaznelson did with the kindle). In your video it's apparent that there is a difference in the display performances, but it's really hard to analyze beyond that.

I want to see just how worse is the pocketbook 90x compared to the M90.
Iskander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #254
K_Dua
K_Dua began at the beginning.

Device: none
hi ladies & gents

"full refresh or partial refresh" mentioned by Dulin's books seems to be the main issue .. concerning the M90's speed in moving along with pdfs etc..
It's obvious.. being a brand new product.. that it still has got a lot of bugs and issues to be dealt with.

Still.. my intention of getting one remains. It looks better than the competition ..

I would really appreciate that M91 to PB 902 comparison review Onyx Eur committed to, being it, hopefully, the most impartial possible.
I am probably not gonna go for anything else other than an Onyx.. (i really want a Pearl display with a Wacom stylus. plus Onyx design is way superior) so.. the issue here.. is getting a little more eye-candy with the M90.

Thanks in advance.. and thanks very much Booxtor , for your two-part video.
U said u would be doing one more.

If possible.. i would like to see a little bit more of the stylus action.. scribbling and in more specific use like one more sketch..and text editing for eg. Can you make a note on a pdf, for eg.. save it to the memory or an SD card and revert to it in real time, in the video?

And secondly.. the web browsing possibility. If i am not mistaken.. one can jump online, check the email.. RSS feeds and wikipedia browsing and online dictionaries.. which is life saving.. when one's studying & working reading for hours.. and can just check that little one thing online.. without having to refrain to a PC.

thanks again
cheers

PS1 : The only thing the M90 really sucks at.. and it is un-fixable via firmware is the Text2Speech/audio speaker. bloody hell its so bad ! Such robotic voice (fixable) .. and is a guy supposed to hear anything..in the speech.. or is it just make believe??!

PS2 : How's the stock capacity for the M90 ? Anyone knows ? (if i order directly from the site, or some other store as an alternative..lets say.. tomorrow.)
K_Dua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #255
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
we have 6 with more to come in about 2-3 weeks(giving extra leeway for customs as it took longer this past time)
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onyx boox, onyx boox m90