Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
ISBN from Smashwords: use elsewhere ?

Hi all,

I punished to KDP without an ISBN and then a week later to Smashwords where I accepted the free ISNB no.

Where do I stand now with this ISBN ? Can I use it to publish on iBooks ? and use back on Amazon ? Or is it usable only on Smashwords ?
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
As far as I know, the ISBN identifies that particular book, so it can be used with that book wherever it is.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Log in to Smashwords, click on the question mark icon in the upper right of the screen, cursor down the left column (Authors/Publishers) and click on "ISBNs."
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Here's what Wikipedia has on the ISBN: ISBN

Quote:
An ISBN is assigned to each edition and variation (except reprintings) of a book. For example, an ebook, a paperback, and a hardcover edition of the same book would each have a different ISBN.
So if your book is hard cover you will have one for that, another if you go to soft cover and another probably for ebook. That way publishers can tell which edition/variation of your book they are dealing with.

Last edited by crich70; 10-07-2014 at 08:04 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys. I was afraid that Smashwords would somehow have a way of restricting it's use considering they supplied it.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:29 PM   #6
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
ISBN is pretty useless on Amazon. Since it's a closed system their own asin nr. should suffice. Since ISBN use is to uniquely ID a specific product for every distribution channel (Bookland EAN) it might have sense to have one for same editions sold via multiple sellers (e. g. have one for your epub and another for your PDF - both self-made and offered through multiple shops) This way it's clear that regardless if the book is bought in shop A or B it's the same file. But as amazon is concerned: the only place to get amazon books is amazon. Hence no need for an "external" identifier. As for Slushwords: It's their ISBN for their edition. No use of it for another.
If you want your own ebooks with ISBN you need to buy your own.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
If you're putting it up on Smashwords anyway, why not let them distribute it to Apple (Itunes/Ibooks)?
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:27 PM   #8
saoir
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
As for Slushwords: It's their ISBN for their edition. No use of it for another.
Oh ? I thought it was a different ISBN for each format ? So if I sell an identical ePub format elsewhere I can use the same ISBN ?
Old 10-08-2014, 01:25 AM   #9
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Each format gets its own ISBN, and each format has the same ISBN wherever it is. That is, you wouldn't give the same ISBN to both the ePub format and the audio recording. But the ePub has the same ISBN at Smashwords and Amazon.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:04 AM   #10
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
The rules for ISBNs say that every different edition should have its own ISBN - so hardcovers had a different ISBN to paperbacks and so on. With ebooks I have seen people say that a Kindle version should technically have a different ISBN to a epub, but I've also see others that say not. Since Amazon don't care much about the ISBN anyway, I have used the same ISBN. (All my ebooks, currently, come from the one source epub, so I think this approach is justified.)

If, however, I were to submit a Word document to Smashwords and let them meatgrind it into their dozen other formats - and if I wanted those to have an ISBN - then I believe they should have a separate ISBN to my original epub, because such versions are, realistically, a new edition.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
saoir
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
Each format gets its own ISBN, and each format has the same ISBN wherever it is. That is, you wouldn't give the same ISBN to both the ePub format and the audio recording. But the ePub has the same ISBN at Smashwords and Amazon.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking too.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #12
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoir View Post
Thanks. That's what I was thinking too.
Keeping in mind that I wasn't thinking about Amazon having its own format. I just used them as an example of another place the ePub might be. Bad example, probably. I blame my ignorance.-)
Old 10-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #13
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
That's exactly why: no previously used ISBN for amazon.
Another format another number. And since you order azw's exclusively via Amazon there is no point in wasting an ISBN on them.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote