Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2012, 01:28 AM   #1
ext233
Enthusiast
ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: PW2
(PW) Weird syncing issues with Calibre (books not indexing, disappearing etc.)

*EDIT* I quickly realised after making this thread that it wasn't the emailing of files that was screwing everything up, but something to do with Calibre. Could a mod please rename this thread or something?

I loaded a bunch of books in Calibre via USB without problems. But when I unplug the device and went back to the Kindle itself, all of my books had disappeared.

My items (0)
Books (0)
Docs (8)

The ones showing up under docs are .pdfs and books with the 'personal' tag.

WHAT DO I DO. All my files are still on the Kindle, I can see when I plug it in. Transferring new books/deleting old ones doesn't seem to make any difference.

EDIT: Deleted everything and added them again, was working for a second (found about half the books) now everything's gone again. wtf.

Last edited by ext233; 12-29-2012 at 03:24 AM.
ext233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:20 AM   #2
ext233
Enthusiast
ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

sorry for the bump (and all the hectic edits to this post). i think i figured out what was wrong...apparently my kindle doesn't like calibre's default directory structure, which as i recall looked like...

{author}\{title} - {author_list}

or something of that nature. i changed it to a simple single-tier...

{author_list} - {title}

...structure instead, and everything seems to be properly indexing and working now. bizarre. maybe worth looking into for future calibre revisions?
Old 12-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #3
ext233
Enthusiast

Oops! Forget all that. Plugged the Kindle back into the computer, unplugged it and alas, everything's 'gone' again.

Pretty sure I have a faulty unit. Awesome!
Old 12-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ext233 View Post
sorry for the bump (and all the hectic edits to this post). i think i figured out what was wrong...apparently my kindle doesn't like calibre's default directory structure, which as i recall looked like...

{author}\{title} - {author_list}

or something of that nature. i changed it to a simple single-tier...

{author_list} - {title}

...structure instead, and everything seems to be properly indexing and working now. bizarre. maybe worth looking into for future calibre revisions?
I don't think you have a faulty unit. If what you write above is what you put in calibre, it won't work right. Make sure of these things first:
- latest version of calibre (0.9.12 as of right now)
- in preferences - sending books to device: restore defaults

That should help.

The correct syntax for the default save template would be:
Code:
{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}
If you in fact use a \ in there that might be causing the problem.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
ext233
Enthusiast

i think the problem was a corrupt .mobi that i had converted, which was 'infecting' the books near it and causing them not to display correctly. i isolated the offending book, re-converted it and everything's working now. ^^
Old 01-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ext233 View Post
i think the problem was a corrupt .mobi that i had converted, which was 'infecting' the books near it and causing them not to display correctly. i isolated the offending book, re-converted it and everything's working now. ^^
Glad you figured it out. Usually Kindles are very good for beeing predictably consistant. They assume and expect sometimes a bit too much that what you feed them is correct. Amazon optimized the Kindles to work for THEIR store, thus YOU are on your own if you feed in non-amazon conforming side loaded files.

You can't really blame them, they do a very good job. If a hardware-only company was to sell a device exactly like the Kindle with same features and all, then you would have to pay a lot more money. Kindles don't cost a lot, but they are not "cheap" in a sense as cheap and crap. They are worth a lot more than their sticker price.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:45 AM   #7
ext233
Enthusiast

yeah, now that i've got it working i'm really happy with it. plus i got it in japan, so it works out at US~$100 for an ad-free kindle. ^^

people who complain about the discolouration/uneven light at the bottom of the screen are being REALLY nitpicky, imo. sure it's there but if you're actually 'reading' (like you're supposed to be doing) then you don't even notice it. this is my first e-reader and i can't see any reason why it won't last me a number of years.