Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
asl1972
asl1972 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Scientific papers on Kindle

I just got a kindle (not DX) and want to use it to read scientific papers on my commute. All my articles are organized as PDFs in Papers (mekentosj) on my Mac (don't like the iphone for reading articles). Problems I have encountered...
- Text too small and not able to change it, even when kindle in landscape
- Two or three columns in article get concatenated and garbled on conversion
- Loss of graphics (but this is relatively minor if the other two could be fixed).

Have experimented with calibre after some surfing of forums, but still having problems. Does anyone have good suggestions.

- asl
asl1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's a new PDF engine beig developed for calibre that will support multi column documents. I already have it converting a few multicol docs successfully, so it should not be too long before it becomes available
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
asl1972
asl1972 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
scientific pdf on kindle

That would be fantastic!!!!! I love Calibre for everything else and have recommended it to several kindle owners.

Do you have any idea how long until the new function is available? Should I just check the calibre site to find out when/where/how it is ready?

Thanks!
asl1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It will be announced in the Changelog when it is released. As for when, no idea, depends on my workload
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote