Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
dixon
dixon doesn't litterdixon doesn't litter

Device: iRex DR1000S
Evince ported (with DjVu support only)

Here is the Evince viewer (MD5: 97e84b1fa4bb4d57519bdae28580e6d0). I compiled it with DjVu support only, so no other formats supported.

Just unpack this archive into the root of your device. Then go to Home > Documents > Programs and use the Evince shortcut to start it.

When I tested it I noticed that sometimes it does not refresh screen when it should. So if you see garbage on your screen or you see the message "Loading..." for too long time just scroll the text once and that will refresh screen.

Also this build is still using the standard small file dialog, but I hope I will change it soon.
Attached Files
File Type: zip evince-2.22.2-dr-0.1.zip (1.73 MB, 743 views)
dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:57 AM   #2
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Wow, dixon!

Thank you for this excellent port!

It works great; once the DjVu file is loaded, page turns are instantaneous and display perfectly. There are the few minor bugs which you mentioned. I also noticed the DR1000 buttons do not always turn the page while in 'Fit Page Width' view (this doesn't bother me because I'll always be using 'Best Fit' view).

I have two requests if you have time:
  1. Currently if you forget to close Evince (eg if you open another viewer or choose 'Return to folder') you can't reopen it with the shortcut. Would you be able to add a tab or modify the shortcut so it doesn't attempt to open a second instance of Evince?
  2. Could you have Evince remember your previous view options (or allow the user to specify the defaults)?
As it stands, Evince is working wonderfully and any improvements would be the icing on the cake.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixon View Post
When I tested it I noticed that sometimes it does not refresh screen when it should. So if you see garbage on your screen or you see the message "Loading..." for too long time just scroll the text once and that will refresh screen.
The low level display driver has a complicated algorithm involving timers, area size, widget types and widget names to determine if an actual screen refresh is needed (see sysd-code). One trick that I use is to update a gtk_label, this always seems to trigger a full screen refresh (with a delay of 1-2 seconds). I am not sure if Evince has a label that can be used?
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I was waiting for this for so long. It looks quite usable!

Is there a way to change the size of the open file dialog? I can only see 3 files at a time in it...

Quote:
Also this build is still using the standard small file dialog, but I hope I will change it soon.
ooops! sorry, forget my question. I should read more carefully.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited by ghostwheel; 09-07-2009 at 05:43 PM.
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One more request (although this may be difficult to implement): it'd be nice if Evince remembered which page you were up to.
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
godel10
Connoisseur
godel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Librie, Irex DR1000S
Thank you very much: a lot of people (including me) has been expecting a djvu reader, and now we have it.
godel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
Viacheslav
Connoisseur
Viacheslav doesn't litterViacheslav doesn't litter

Device: iRex DR1000
I am very happy to get a DJVU viewer too. And here is a couple of small enhancements. A usual filetype package for djv and djvu and some replacements of the distributed files to improve general experience.

You can get rid of the "Please, wait..." box hovering in the middle of the screen long after the document has been opened by evince and eliminate non-functional print menus.
Attached Files
File Type: zip filetype-evince.zip (11.0 KB, 607 views)
File Type: zip evince-config.zip (2.5 KB, 609 views)
Viacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
RobbieClarken
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viacheslav View Post
I am very happy to get a DJVU viewer too. And here is a couple of small enhancements. A usual filetype package for djv and djvu and some replacements of the distributed files to improve general experience.

You can get rid of the "Please, wait..." box hovering in the middle of the screen long after the document has been opened by evince and eliminate non-functional print menus.
Hi Viacheslav,

I am having trouble getting your filetype association scripts to work. The 'AddExt...' scripts seem to run fine since I get a "please wait" box and the digital reader reboots, but then I still get "Filetype unknown" when I try to open DjVu or XOJ files. ePubs work but I suspect that might be because I installed the updated content browser. Could that update be conflicting with your 'AddExt...' scripts? I ran "Restore Content Browser" but ePubs are still associated with FBReader.

I guess I can try reinstalling the firmware to get a fresh start. Should I then install the updated content browser or not?
Old 09-08-2009, 02:25 AM   #9
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
Hi Viacheslav,

I am having trouble getting your filetype association scripts to work. The 'AddExt...' scripts seem to run fine since I get a "please wait" box and the digital reader reboots, but then I still get "Filetype unknown" when I try to open DjVu or XOJ files. ePubs work but I suspect that might be because I installed the updated content browser. Could that update be conflicting with your 'AddExt...' scripts? I ran "Restore Content Browser" but ePubs are still associated with FBReader.

I guess I can try reinstalling the firmware to get a fresh start. Should I then install the updated content browser or not?
The new code that allows associating filetypes to files using gconf only works with the R1.6 and R1.7 content browser. The thread you are refering to contains a patched R1.5 ctb (so you are also missing some other functionality that is available in R1.6 and R1.7). Best is to re-install R1.7 firmware.
Maybe Adam can edit the message and warn people not to use it anymore (or remove the binary)?
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #10
RobbieClarken
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
The new code that allows associating filetypes to files using gconf only works with the R1.6 and R1.7 content browser. The thread you are refering to contains a patched R1.5 ctb (so you are also missing some other functionality that is available in R1.6 and R1.7). Best is to re-install R1.7 firmware.
Maybe Adam can edit the message and warn people not to use it anymore (or remove the binary)?
Thanks Mackx! Reinstalling the firmware and then running the filetype association scripts worked perfectly. I agree there should be a warning on the old content browser update thread.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #11
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Quote:
... DjVu support only, ....
I am not familiar with DjVu. What type of documents use this format?

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #12
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
wikipedia is just one click away
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DjVu
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:24 AM   #13
alexvaq
alexvaq began at the beginning.

Device: IRex DR1000S
You-are-the-best, man!!!!!

I just made an account to say THANK YOU!!!

I wanted to port *anything* to read djvu on my own, for I *really* needed it, but I couldn't find enough time.

Great job!!
alexvaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:43 PM   #14
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
You are our hero, man!!!!!!

I will try it tomorrow. By the way, can I make notes with it?

Thank you very very much.
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:06 AM   #15
patatan
Enthusiast
patatan is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen 3, DR1000S
:
patatan is offline   Reply With Quote