Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #106
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I'm at the very end, and yes, I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't wait to start the dialog on it.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #107
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Hey, at two-thirds it actually gets better. At the moment, I'm enjoying it. It will be interesting what the general "take" is.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2008, 10:25 PM   #108
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
This book is really hard work! I may be dense, but it took me three trys at the first chapter before I started to get the hang of the book.

cheers
EXACTLY!!! I kept wondering what the heck was being said, but once I got into it, it just kept flowing nicely......
Old 11-15-2008, 05:23 AM   #109
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well, normally, any book that is still dull and boring by chapter 15 I would normally stop reading. Now why are we torturing ourselves with this again? Is it too late to to move onto the next book and forget this one ever existed?

If people are really that insipid, I'd want to get as far away from them as I could as fast as I could.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:42 AM   #110
winspiration
Connoisseur
winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Kindle Fire HD
I've just started the book, so will have to get a move on before discussion week

My own fault for only spotting this thread about a week ago, then I wanted to finish what I was reading first as I prefer to only read one book at a time.
winspiration is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #111
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, normally, any book that is still dull and boring by chapter 15 I would normally stop reading. Now why are we torturing ourselves with this again? Is it too late to to move onto the next book and forget this one ever existed?

If people are really that insipid, I'd want to get as far away from them as I could as fast as I could.
Jon, you are reading the book with today's standards and outlooks in mind. Try reading and immersing yourself in THAT time period, that culture, and try looking at things thru their eyes.

Reading the book through to the end will at least give you the legitimate right to state your dislikes.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #112
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Jon, you are reading the book with today's standards and outlooks in mind. Try reading and immersing yourself in THAT time period, that culture, and try looking at things thru their eyes.

Reading the book through to the end will at least give you the legitimate right to state your dislikes.
I have not given up on it. And I will make it to the end. But when does it actually get good?

I am up to chapter 23 at present.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-18-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #113
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
I have not given up on it. And I will make it to the end. But when does it actually get good?
I am up to chapter 23 at present.
I thought it got good well before chapter 23 - it was great by chapter 12!!

I loved the dialogue, the way Forster evokes different cultures, the layers of meaning - so much to enjoy.

Only Connect - and you will love it.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:01 AM   #114
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I thought it got good well before chapter 23 - it was great by chapter 12!!

I loved the dialogue, the way Forster evokes different cultures, the layers of meaning - so much to enjoy.

Only Connect - and you will love it.
I guess this is one book that is not a good fit for me. The characters seem to be caricatures. They lead terribly dull lives. And they all seem so fake.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:19 AM   #115
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
I guess this is one book that is not a good fit for me. The characters seem to be caricatures. They lead terribly dull lives. And they all seem so fake.
It'd be great if you got through it, and contributed to the debate though; even if you're finding it is a bit of a chore.
We need to hear differing opinions; not just the cheerleaders - that'd be boring.

I expect we'll all encounter books we don't particularly enjoy in the months ahead; but that's part of the fun (in a weird sort of way ).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #116
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Jon, I understand what you are saying. If I have to read Les Miserables or Wuthering Heights, I will beat myself about the head repeatedly doing so.
(And the characters DO lead terribly dull lives. Everything you did, said and thought was pretty restricted in those days, wasn't it?)
Old 11-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #117
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You guys are doing well. Just remember, a negative comment is as valuable as a positive comment about the text. As long as you can back up your opinion with reasons and quotes, then you have a valid argument. Question a post but don't attack the poster.

Just saying you like or dislike it isn't enough. Dig in there and explain what it is that you like or dislike about it, and don't just say because it was a downer. The book is immortal for a reason, even if it is a bummer. It has transcended the boundaries of the story and the author's intentions as well. It's up to us to decide what gives it life.

Think about things in terms of:

1. What is the meaning of the story as it translates to something in society today?

2. What can I, as the audience, learn about myself from this story?

3. What will make it current and living for the next generation to read it?

4. Does it bring to mind other books with similar dark themes?

Most importantly, have fun posting and picking apart others' posts without attacking the poster.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #118
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
DixiGal, are you a teacher by any chance?

1) In my opinion, the book illustrates societal barriers both now and in the past. Hopefully we are getting beyond those barriers.

2) I found the social barriers, as portrayed, distasteful, and irrelevant. I don't play or participate in social games. As Popeye says "I am, what I am."

3) I points out clearly, the irrelevancy of such social snobishness as it shows up on both sides of the social fence.

4) To my mind, no.

P.S. I hope I am communicating my thoughts clearly. I am an artist not a communicator.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #119
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
2) I found the social barriers, as portrayed, distasteful, and irrelevant. I don't play or participate in social games. As Popeye says "I am, what I am."

(I was just tossing out examples of ways to think about what is being read, not trying to be bossy or anything. Those are some techniques that help me with literary criticism, made for some truly spectacular grades in college. I never even got a chance to start this particular book!)

Now I'm curious and want to pick your brain. Has the book changed the way you would respond to someone who shows prejudice? If yes, how has it changed?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #120
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
You guys should move this discussion to the Passage To India discussion thread which was opened early accidentally. But there it is:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32136

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote