Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
CROSP
CROSP began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 4 Black WiFI
Questions about Amazon Kindle 5 WiFi

Hi everyone , I have Amazon Kindle 5 WiFi same as on the picture .
I have some questions about it.
1. Firmwares for Kindle 4 & Kindle are compatible , aren't they ?
2. Is there is any programm/hack which allows to read PDFs as MOBI , I mean font size, and no need to zoom and so on.
3. Programms for 4 & 5 are compatible ? Where can I find all of them ?
Thx for help in advance )
CROSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
  1. No.
  2. No. Kind of. See KOReader.
  3. No. (usually)

You can use calibre to convert from PDF to mobi/azw3, although as PDF is a lousy input format, YMMV.

Master index for Kindle hacks and suchlike is here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180113

You have the Kindle 4 non-Touch, the Kindle 5 is the PW1/PW2/Fire

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-09-2014 at 09:52 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You can also use the Amazon email service to convert PDFs into .mobi files. Just email the file as an attachment to your Kindle's email address (e.g. yourkindlename@kindle.com), putting CONVERT in the subject line, and it will show up on your Kindle, converted to .mobi format. How well it converts depends on how fancily it was formatted. Fancy formatting doesn't translate well. Neither do pdfs that are just images of pages. Those don't work at all. Those require OCR software.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:13 AM   #4
CROSP

Thank you a lot for your prompt answers.
I have updated my kindle to 4.1.1 firmware and jailbroken it. I read that it is possible to reflow pdf using Duokan. Can I install it on my device ?
Old 04-09-2014, 07:00 AM   #5
CROSP

I have tried to install Mobileread Kindlet Kit but got the error , I have posted here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=25 . Please help to solve it .
Advert
Old 04-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For installing Duokan, see here: Duokan 2013 Installation

Also,see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209276 for KOReader, which has some PDF manipuation capabilities. It's not quite the same as true PDF reflow, as PDF doesn't understand paragraphs, but it should provide as good a guess as anything. It saves you having to reboot into a second OS.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-09-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #7
CROSP

I have solved my previous problem , so I have duokan on my kindle.
That's great !
But I have a few more questions, can I install Cool Reader together with Duokan ? Or they are not compotaible ?
Old 04-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Duokan and KOReader can coexist, you just can't use both at the same time.

I believe KOReader uses the CoolReader engine.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
CROSP

Thx for answer, as I see KOReader doesn't support Kindle 4 NT , but there is a fork named Libretator . I am going to install it . Will it work with duokan ?
Old 04-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Yes. Again, though, not at the same time. You can have both in your menu.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
CROSP

I have a question again . To install Libretator , I need to install Kite at first, but unfortunatly I can't find Kite for Kindle 4. What should I do ?
thx
Old 04-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Please ask questions about installing additional software on the Kindle in the "Developers' Corner" sub-forum. Such questions do not belong here.

Thank you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote