Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-23-2013, 02:42 AM   #1
changeling
changeling began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad
3 suggestions: merge on add, cleanup on add, sorting

Hello! I'm new to this forum. Congratulations on the wealth of information, I've yet to digest it

I wanted to suggest three Calibre features, I don't know if this is the right place or if I should go to their development pages, but I had problems signing up there last time.

Anyway...

Suggestion one: when you add duplicate books, a dialog appears where you can choose which ones to skip or add anyway. I propose you add a "merge" button on that dialog, or even better, several buttons with different behaviors.

Suggestion two: there are options I ALWAYS use when I add a new crop of books. I would like being able to set them as default. Case in point: I NEVER want to import tags or star ratings from the books I find in the net. I use my own ratings and tagging systems. So I always use the options to remove tags, and reset ratings to zero (which in my system means unrated). I would love that happening by default.

Suggestion three: Ignore non-alphanumerical characters in title or author sorting, by default. Sometimes, a leading character which is neither a letter nor a number disrupts sorting.

Thanks!
changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:17 AM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
1. there is already an automerge option on add books preferences

2. I would also like the do not import tags option. It is available when you download metatdata but not when you add a book - seems inconsistent ?

3. is probably already available via author sort preferences if you care to lexperiment: tweaks -> author sort algorithm
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2013, 04:25 AM   #3
ParadiseLost
Enthusiast
ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
The Automerge option is here:

Preferences button at the top > change calibre behavior > Adding Books

Tags to apply when adding a book:
You could set this to "Unrated" so you know to clean that information, but you are right. Sometimes when adding books it would be nice not to import those tags currently in the metadata.
ParadiseLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
1. I think changeling does have a point here. The Automerge option is about generic behavior. You have options there to always ignore or overwrite duplicate formats. But 'always' can be a bit dangerous.

What changeling suggests (and what I would also love to see) is a Merge option that allows you to make the decision per book.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
What would be really swell would be an option when copying to library to merge based on a user criteria such as a certain tag or custom column value.

One can dream

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
changeling
changeling began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad
Thank everyone for the answers! Yes, I didn't know about the automerge option, but I would still prefer a more fine grained control.

Perhaps having these options for duplicates:

Replace
Keep both
Merge into older
Merge into newer
Do nothing

The replace options might be handy when you know you're adding a new revision of the same book.

Helen, that would be great! Count me in on dreaming

I will play with the author sort preferences, thanks. Still, I cannot think of a situation where one would prefer a strict ASCII sorting of non alphabetical characters, rather than ignoring them altogether. For example, the leading "¿" and "¡" found in Spanish books, or the leading "#" which might precede a number.
changeling is offline   Reply With Quote