Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Recommend some thrillers!

I like thrillers in which an ordinary (or seemingly ordinary) person or family becomes enmeshed in some extraordinary circumstances, and the focus is on how they resolve their plight, with any police/professional involvement in the background.

Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson, Sister by Rosamund Lupton, and Never Look Away by Linwood Barclay are examples of what I mean. I'm currently in the midst of reading all of Barclay's thrillers.

I enjoy suspense and atmosphere. Romance, if any, should be in the background.

Recommendations, please!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You may wish to check this earlier thread on Thrillers, also in this Reading Recommendations Forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=207671

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You may wish to check this earlier thread on Thrillers, also in this Reading Recommendations Forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=207671

Don
I've seen that, thanks. But I'm looking for a more specific kind of thriller.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
... thrillers in which an ordinary (or seemingly ordinary) person or family becomes enmeshed in some extraordinary circumstances
Eric Ambler comes straight to mind - if you don't mind the older period (most of his books were set in the 30s to 50s, I think).

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Mike L, I will look into Eric Ambler for the future. But right now I'm looking less for spies and international intrigue and more for "smaller" plots revolving around such things as missing persons, kidnappings, amnesia victims, murders that are not what they seem.

BenG, I've read Eye of the Needle and think it's a terrific book, but, again, it's not the sort of thing of I'm looking for now.

Thanks to both of you.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
First Blood by David Morrell. It is not the movie starring Sylvester Stallone.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Did you read Gone Girl? That's the only one I've read of Gillian Flynn, but apparently her others are great, too.

EDIT: also you might like Tana French a lot.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Apache, it's a little hard for me to wrap my head around the notion that Rambo might fit my criteria, but I'll add it to my list. I think I even have that in an ancient paperback somewhere, actually. Thanks.

elemenoP, I already have a hold on Gone Girl at the library (I think I'm 150 or so on the waiting list!). Thanks for recommending Tana French.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I think Dick Francis and Desmond Bagley books might fit what you want. Both tend to have the main character in the wrong place at the wrong time and spend the rest of the time working out why.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Harlan Coben, Louise Penny, Karin Slaughter.

Older fare, but Lawrence Sanders has provided hours of entertainment with his 'deadly sins' books.

(I'm a fan of Linwood Barclay, too).

Edit to add: Robert Crais. His books are always about regular people -- some moments of humor, too.

Last edited by DianNC; 04-25-2013 at 12:03 AM.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
If you don't mind going too far back, you might like some of John Buchan's thrillers
The Thirty-Nine Steps http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/b/buch...eps/index.html

or Buchan's Dickson McCunn novels (starting with "Huntingtower")
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #13
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I like thrillers in which an ordinary (or seemingly ordinary) person or family becomes enmeshed in some extraordinary circumstances, and the focus is on how they resolve their plight, with any police/professional involvement in the background.
I would say most of Robert Goddard's books fit into this category. Most are standalone, and can be read in any sequence, but I would recommend starting with one of the early ones, such as In Pale Battalions, Painting the Darkness or Into the Blue (this one does have a sequel, and was made into a TV drama with John Thaw - alias Morse - which Goddard was unhappy with).

His stories centre largely around an individual confronted with deep dark secrets, often within their own family, who generally actively avoid involving the police and the authorities, and who set about investigating the truth, sometimes at great personal cost. He has been called "The Master of the Clever Twist".
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
How about some of Alistair MacLean's books.
The Golden Gate
The Golden Rendezvous
Breakheart Pass
The Seawitch
Ice Station Zebra
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Andrew Vachss.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote