Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-31-2012, 09:03 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
If you watch Netflix movies and play songs all the time while reading, there is no way you can get 12 hours. Media uses EIGHT times the power of the eBook reader for the same time frame.

Check your GSam monitor right before the full charge starts.
I don't. I use my Kindle Fire for reading only. I know how long my battery lasts. There is no need to check anything. I read from 3AM to 6AM nightly. I only charge the Fire every four days when it finally hits 25% or below. It hard to get it to even that I have to leave WiFi on for a few hours sometimes to drain it. I can go over a week in standby if I don't use it but I am so addicted to the KF that only happened once or twice. I think the battery would last longer if I didn't have to clear the Kindle data app twice every charge to get the pdoc covers to show up.
I know that takes alot of battery.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #17
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
May not be valid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't. I use my Kindle Fire for reading only. I know how long my battery lasts. There is no need to check anything. I read from 3AM to 6AM nightly. I only charge the Fire every four days when it finally hits 25% or below. It hard to get it to even that I have to leave WiFi on for a few hours sometimes to drain it. I can go over a week in standby if I don't use it but I am so addicted to the KF that only happened once or twice. I think the battery would last longer if I didn't have to clear the Kindle data app twice every charge to get the pdoc covers to show up.
I know that takes alot of battery.
Just using a reading segment of 6 hours for the KF1G may not be a valid way to measure battery energy time. I found that with the PW I had many interruptions during 4 to 5 hour reading segments since I accurately recorded reading SESSIONS rather than use reading segments.

I found a 4 to 5 hour reading segment only involved about 2 hours of reading sessions or less. I recorded them on a spreadsheet showing starting time, ending time and session time. My average reading session was about 23 minutes and for the PW came to about 10 hours and 29 minutes for the cycle until the Battery Meter showed very near to empty.

There were always interruptions for bathroom breaks, answering telephone calls, walking the dog, answering the door, speaking to the spouse or just walking to a different room for another task.

That is why for the KF1G and KFHD the GSam Monitor Screen Time read at the end of a cycle just before the full charge starts should be used.

Using stated reading segments of 6 hours is simply not a valid way to measure Screen Time. The GSam Monitor measures it EXACTLY for the Fire.

If you insist on using reading segment time, then turn off Shutoff time in the Settings completely and just let the Fire Screen burn continuously for 6 hours. You will see the battery totally go dead about then. The Fire Screen, itself, uses more of the battery energy than any other app or process.

In my current battery cycle at 18% charge remaining:

Screen=5 hours and 20 minutes=45.9% of energy expended
WiFi=96 hours and 44 minutes=16.2%
Held Awake=1 hour and 35 minutes=10.6%
App Usage=27.3%

For Apps:
System=4.5%
Media=4.2%
System (sdcard)=3.5%
Kernel=3.5%
System (wakelock)=1.8%
Bible=1.7%
Amazon Device Client Platform=1.3%
Amazon Kindle (eReading)=1.2%
Amazon MP3=1.0%
All the rest were less than 1% each.

As you can see eReading on the KFHD7-32 uses an almost negligible amount of battery energy. That contrasts with the PW where Screen Time and eReading are the main users of energy and it is highly probable that even there Screen Time uses over 90% of the energy expended. Since there is no Battery Monitor for the Paperwhite, there is no way to accurately measure that item.

I've reduced my Shutoff Time for both the PW and KFHD7-32 from the default 5 minutes to 15 minutes since I didn't like starting it up so often when I was distracted for 5 minutes. I preferred burning the battery for a little more energy then expending my own energy.

I would expect the PW battery to last longer than the KF battery since the latter expends vastly more energy for the screen to just light up and has so many other non-reading functions.

I just started a full charge from the 14% level and my GSam screen shows it will take 5 hours and 2 minutes.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-01-2012 at 11:23 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm reading in bed so none of that is going on. It's dark and my husband is snoring loudly next to me. I don't put the KF to sleep to go to the bathroom. I just close the cover. I'm never in there long enough for it to go to sleep. I know my battery life. It doesn't have to be an exact science. I get 12 hours from Charge to 25%. I find Gsam not to be totally accurate. It's close but it always says I have less then I really do. Then again it still force closes on me so it's not really running all the time. There's nothing I can do to fix that.

I think the key to good battery life if you just use your Kindle Fire as a Kindle is don't install many apps on it. I have only a small amount on mine. ES Explorer, Goodreads, Dropbox, ODMC and The lock and WiFi switches and of course Screen Dim. I have the email app set to stay off. I keep my brightness all the way down and with screen dim it's stays at 0.8% - 1.6%.

I sometimes do some minor surfing on Silk but that's about it.

12 Hours is excellent I think. I could probably squeeze another hour from it but I don't like running the battery down that low.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-01-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

GSam is the only good measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I find Gsam not to be totally accurate. It's close but it always says I have less then I really do.
That is the key. How about posting your GSam SCREEN TIME here right before you do your full charge? Before you can do that, you must go into the GSam Preferences and set the Battery Monitor to measure time from the last Full Charge. Otherwise it won't measure correctly.

After a full cycle with that preference setting, take the reading before the next full charge.

Otherwise we are comparing apples and oranges.

In the abscence of that (if you don't really have GSam installed) then just go into settings and change the 5 minute shut down to NEVER. Then you will get a proper reading in the manner you are doing it. Frankly, if you do that, I'd expect the battery will be totally gone after one 6 hour reading session.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-01-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #20
mantosof
mantosof began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7 - 16Gb
Is something wrong with my battery?

Just got a Kindle Fire HD 7inch 16 gb.
It seems the battery runs out so fast...

I use HD battery app.
From a 100% if i turn wifi on, and close the cover (putting it to sleep), 4 hours later im at 60% - im NOT EVEN USING THE THING.

When i called Amazon, they give tips mentioned in this thread and try to prevent a return.

Whats a good test i could perform to see if something is wrong with the battery?
mantosof is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #21
sirmaru
Wizard

Turn WiFi OFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantosof View Post
Just got a Kindle Fire HD 7inch 16 gb.
It seems the battery runs out so fast...

I use HD battery app.
From a 100% if i turn wifi on, and close the cover (putting it to sleep), 4 hours later im at 60% - im NOT EVEN USING THE THING.

When i called Amazon, they give tips mentioned in this thread and try to prevent a return.

Whats a good test i could perform to see if something is wrong with the battery?
Turn WiFi OFF all the time unless you are syncing or charging. Some Battery Apps also use battery power unnecessarily. It may pay to uninstall the battery app you now have and instead install GSam Battery Monitor.

Leave WiFi ON when charging and you will see GSam indicate when you hit 100%. Many folks only charge to 80% and then get less time for use.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I just shut it down when I know I'm not going to be using it for a while. The boot-up time on the HD is more than quick and painless enough for me to not mind in the least.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #23
mantosof
mantosof began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7 - 16Gb
Yes, I've learned to keep wifi off, and i have seen much better battery performance.
My KF HD takes exactly 30 seconds to boot up after a shutdown. I have been leaving it in sleep, but force closing any games under "applications running" before bed each night.

Is GSam free better than HD monitor free? HD monitor free seen here...

http://www.amazon.com/smallte-ch-Bat...rds=hd+monitor

It has 2000 reviews at nearly a 4.5 rating.
mantosof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #24
sirmaru
Wizard

Take your pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantosof View Post
Yes, I've learned to keep wifi off, and i have seen much better battery performance.
My KF HD takes exactly 30 seconds to boot up after a shutdown. I have been leaving it in sleep, but force closing any games under "applications running" before bed each night.

Is GSam free better than HD monitor free? HD monitor free seen here...

http://www.amazon.com/smallte-ch-Bat...rds=hd+monitor

It has 2000 reviews at nearly a 4.5 rating.
The Free GSam Battery Monitor should not be purchased. Instead try the two fee based GSam apps shown here.

http://www.amazon.com/GSam-Battery-M...attery+monitor

http://www.amazon.com/GSam-Battery-M...attery+monitor

The cost for both is $ 3.00. I'd suggest you try the GSam products and compare it to what you have. You must be the judge of which is better
Old 12-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #25
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I warn you the free version of GSam is a battery hog. I know don't why but I had both versions installed on different devices the paid version takes up little to no resource while the free version suck the battery life out of my phone till I uninstalled it.