Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #16
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
They expect you to play video with wireless OFF? How? By downloading the whole movie first? Duh.

They also say the k3 gets 2 months battery. I never get it to last 1 month, let alone 2. Two weeks is stretching it.
It lasts 2 months if you only read for 30 minutes each day.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #17
finrind
finrind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
8 hours per se is not a concern (though that is precisely why I can't cross the Atlantic having less than 2 gadgets - I need full 10 hours worth of performance without recharging).
THE concern is 8 hours life with wi-fi off given Amazon's great reliance on the cloud storage. If you have only 8Gb of memory (in reality, even less, coz OS+apps will eat something), then you do have to use Amazon's cloud thingy a lot, and that will eat you battery life.
I wouldn't mind 8 hours if I had an SD slot there.
finrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #18
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman Jr. View Post
From the Kindle Fire product page:

"Up to 8 hours of continuous reading or 7.5 hours of video playback, with wireless off. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as web browsing and downloading content." [Emphases mine.]

With the emphasis on media consumption for this device, it seems that the upper limit in this description might be very iffy. And even at eight hours, it would greatly reduce the accuracy of this as a "mobile" device, at least for me.
I think the OP raises a good point. I'd prefer to see something with a longer battery life. I don't think 8 hours is horrible, but it's not great either.

I'm still on the fence in trying to decide if I should buy one. However, I have to say that the battery life isn't my biggest concern. I'd like to use it for browsing the web, and the 7" is my biggest concern. Yet, at $200 it is certainly priced right.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #19
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Not sure why they even bother mentioning the battery life with wifi off, since having wifi turned off for that kind of device renders it almost useless.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #20
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Not sure why they even bother mentioning the battery life with wifi off, since having wifi turned off for that kind of device renders it almost useless.
Yes, that is my biggest concern with the statement - it doesn't seem to fit the use case the device is being promoted for.
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #21
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Coming from the Land of the Lawsuit I would imagine Amazon doesn't want any problems being sued by someone who missed some important date etc because the battery ran out after 7 hours. My Asus EEE says it lasts 10 hours and it does, but not if I am playing games or doing something using a lot of computer power (about 8 hours average). Probably a good idea to allow for a 20% reduction in claimed power. I'll probably still buy the Asus transformer because we have 2 EEEs at home and they are rugged and reliable.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:41 PM   #22
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
That's the nature of a tablet with an lcd screen.
Agreed. I don't think you can expect much more from the Fire.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #23
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
No, it's a tablet not an e-book reader.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #24
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I think the biggest drawback or limitation is the 8gb of memory. I suspect 16gb or perhaps even 32 in the next generation. To keep the price below $200 they skimped on memory.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #25
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Not really. If I spend more than 8 hours a day using that thing then I need to get a life! Geez, 8 hours is a traditional work day. My iPad claims 10 hours but it typically lasts no more than 8.
Agreed. I don't use my iPad 10 hrs straight but it lasts several day. I charge it every few nights. I think 8 hrs is great for the kindle fire. After 8 hours you should be taking a break & let it charge. Lol.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #26
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Hard to expect more from backlit LCD tablet. Especially one that costs $199
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:33 AM   #27
shadenfroh
shadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toysshadenfroh shares his or her toys

Device: none
I don't see how a card slot would jack the price up much.
shadenfroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #28
feelsgoodman
o hai.
feelsgoodman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
8 hours wifi off probably translates to 6 hours wifi on, right? And after a year of usage, that'll probably be down to 4 hours wifi? (just extrapolating from my experience with laptop batteries haha)

I have a Fire on pre-order for a family member. However, if the battery disappoints, then amazon won't be getting another customer.
feelsgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Keep in mind with Andriod, it really matters what apps you have installed. There are some that will just suck the battery right down. It's trial and error finding which apps are battery friendly and which ones aren't

There's a bowling game Amazon gave away that just one hour of play pretty much brings me into red on my phone. I uninstalled it.

I only charge my phone every other day but when I got it was everyday till I learned that some apps aren't worth it. Mantano and Cool Reader do not do much draining for me. Youtube and TuneinRadio Pro both drain pretty quickly.

Andriod Market by google is a huge battery hog. I wont miss it on the Fire!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #30
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
My first generation iPod Touch can't even last 5 hours of straight use.
Oh yeah? my iPod Touch 4G can't even get 4. Consider yourself lucky!

As they have for iPhone/iPodTouch, someone will make a battery extender, maybe that functions as a protective case/stand as well.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote