Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #15556
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Now time for Shift Omnibus by Hugh Howey, Silo books 6-8. I wanted to wait for the omnibus before starting fearing that if all three weren't available I would drive myself nuts waiting for the next in the series. So far it has been very good.
Another excellent installment in the Silo universe! I really want to read Dust now. Fantastic job by Hugh Howey!

Now for The Runner by WJ Davies also set in the Silo universe and endorsed by HH. Hopefully it can capture some of the same emotions that Hugh is able to bring out.

On a side note, I hate reading on something other than my Kindle which I forgot at home this morning, had my hands full and left it by the door. I finished Shift on my phone, so at least I had a backup, but it isn't the same.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #15557
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading Under the Dome
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #15558
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool TV series

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I liked it, but I've read 'other opinions' here in this thread. It'll be a CBS TV series this year, staring nobody I've ever heard of. Hmmmm!

alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #15559
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I finally got around to rereading The Andromeda Strain, which I last read back in High School. It's still a great read, but I'm not as impressed by Crichton's writing this time around. It's certainly readable, but not the page turner his later books would be.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #15560
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
It took me forever to read that book. I found it very boring and was really irritated with the pace. Everybody is different though.

Currently reading the Shift Omnibus by Hugh Howey. Only a couple chapters in and I'm having a hard time putting it down .
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #15561
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Unsure of my next read but will probably be a sci-fi from the library.
I decided to read Revan by Drew Karpyshyn. A Star Wars book that takes place during the Old Republic. Downloaded from my public library. Evidently, it's based on a video game. I was unaware of this beforehand. My fault for not checking with GR first.

The book was not very good. A lot of general SWs inconsistencies. Word skill average; not exciting. Plot and action scenes underwhelming. Battles lasted for five sentences. Since there was no real ending I'm guessing there is a sequel somewhere. Rated D [1 star].

Next read is undecided.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #15562
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I liked it, but I've read 'other opinions' here in this thread. It'll be a CBS TV series this year, staring nobody I've ever heard of. Hmmmm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
It took me forever to read that book. I found it very boring and was really irritated with the pace. Everybody is different though.

Currently reading the Shift Omnibus by Hugh Howey. Only a couple chapters in and I'm having a hard time putting it down .
I just saw that it was going to be a 13 part mini-series which seems rather long to me. I'm about 15% into it and so far I like it.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #15563
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The old Burns and Allen TV show is still funny.

I'm currently reading a hardback edition of Gracie: A Love Story by George Burns.
Gracie: A Love Story by George Burns is on my reading list. I have it as #4.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #15564
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I wasn't going to read it, but after hearing everyone talk about how good it is, everything else I'm reading is now officially on hold as I read this month's MobileRead Book Club selection, A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #15565
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I finally got around to rereading The Andromeda Strain, which I last read back in High School. It's still a great read, but I'm not as impressed by Crichton's writing this time around. It's certainly readable, but not the page turner his later books would be.
The movie is quite good. If you've not seen it, do so.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #15566
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I wasn't going to read it, but after hearing everyone talk about how good it is, everything else I'm reading is now officially on hold as I read this month's MobileRead Book Club selection, A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute.
Oh and the Burns and Allen radio show is also funny.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #15567
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Tonight I will be starting A Town Like Alice and if it's not good, we have 24 people to blame for it when we could have been reading Stardust.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #15568
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Tonight I will be starting A Town Like Alice and if it's not good, we have 24 people to blame for it when we could have been reading Stardust.
And we know their names!

And I need to look up some episodes of the Burns and Allen radio show.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #15569
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I'm reading that in parallel to another book. Only one chapter in and what I've noticed is that the writing itself isn't that marvellous. The story looks like it might be OK though.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #15570
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
And we know their names!

And I need to look up some episodes of the Burns and Allen radio show.
If you have WunderRadio, you can get some episodes of Burns and Allen to stream.

http://www.wunderradio.com/