Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #16
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I'm not holding my breath but it certainly would be a welcomed solution. For Amazon too!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #17
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
My unit still has the blotches going strong. I got it early October 2nd.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #18
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
My unit still has the blotches going strong. I got it early October 2nd.
Truly sorry to hear - that's a bummer

By all means, I don't pretend I understand enough about it to claim waiting will fix everybody's problems. But it did solve mine and I figured it might work for someone else. Reading the above, it seems at least some other users have experienced a similar improvement.

Granted, my screen was not great, but it wasn't the rainbow I have seen other people post pics of either.

I don't know if this is factory burn-in, or some other external factor. As I mentioned, my PW was left out on the porch on a cold, rainy day by a UPS guy that deserves flogging.
But the glue explanation makes sense. I have seen that happen on an iPad before, as others mentioned.

What is clear is that the ebook manufacturers need to step up the quality control. I recently set on a plane next to a guy that had a KT and his screen was SOOOO much better than the screen on my KT... it was hard to believe it was the same device. His background was so much whiter, it was depressing.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #19
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Iirc, the iPad problem was yellowing on one side or corner; this is blotches of blue and purple or tan at different spots. Different technologies, too. So it seems a stretch to say it's the same problem. But yeah, who knows.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:35 AM   #20
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Truly sorry to hear - that's a bummer

What is clear is that the ebook manufacturers need to step up the quality control. I recently set on a plane next to a guy that had a KT and his screen was SOOOO much better than the screen on my KT... it was hard to believe it was the same device. His background was so much whiter, it was depressing.
So true! I saw a photo of a KT posted on another forum by someone lamenting their purchase of the PW. I was shocked -- the background was so much whiter than mine. I've always been somewhat disappointed in my KT -- my K3's display is superior by far.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:28 AM   #21
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
So true! I saw a photo of a KT posted on another forum by someone lamenting their purchase of the PW. I was shocked -- the background was so much whiter than mine. I've always been somewhat disappointed in my KT -- my K3's display is superior by far.
I compared my K3 to a Touch on Friday and found the same to be true. My K3 had an almost "paperwhite" display already compared to the touch [which was much more gray], which made me worry that the Paperwhite that I'm awaiting might not be as good. Apparently I've got a very good one to begin with!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #22
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I compared my K3 to a Touch on Friday and found the same to be true. My K3 had an almost "paperwhite" display already compared to the touch [which was much more gray], which made me worry that the Paperwhite that I'm awaiting might not be as good. Apparently I've got a very good one to begin with!
Having the ability to whiten the background is a huge plus and the PW is in a class of its own.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Having the ability to whiten the background is a huge plus and the PW is in a class of its own.
True, but if I shine a bright light on my Touch it looks white too. I think all this Amazon hype about a special white screen is total BS. They simply took a slightly improved eInk screen that is just as dark and brown as on any other Kindle and put a bright light in front of it. And they didn't even get the light part right. It is the best choice out there at the moment, but such is the sad state of eInk e-readers. They either need to drastically improve the eInk screens are move on the the next great technology.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #24
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I agree with Jack here. I am happy with my PW because I did not own a Touch. So for me, this is all shiny and all. But I don't see the super display. I see a good display with, for most of us, a nifty lighting solution, but it is not HD and it is not revolutionary. They took the nook glowlight and did some work on it, that's all.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #25
Skydog
Wizard

@jswinden & aceflor-

I could not agree more. My only point (poorly made) was that, compared to my Touch, the PW is an improvement. My opinion may change if I am unable to get a good device.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited by Skydog; 10-08-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #26
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I understand you Sky. I already did not find the touch that revolutionary, so I skipped that one, but I understand they had the same problem already as with the K4NT : some units had really good screen, some did not.

I Really hope they are reading us and realizing they need to toughen their quality controls, because we are pretty far from 6 Sigma right now.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #27
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
They took the nook glowlight and did some work on it, that's all.
I don't think the nook Glowlight had anything to do with it since Amazon purchased the company that created the lighting system back in 2010.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #28
aceflor
Wizard

I was not making a statement, I was simplifying my thoughts, sorry for the confusion. It may or may not be the same technique, but for me the difference between both is not that big (that's what I meant).
Old 10-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
True, but if I shine a bright light on my Touch it looks white too. I think all this Amazon hype about a special white screen is total BS. They simply took a slightly improved eInk screen that is just as dark and brown as on any other Kindle and put a bright light in front of it. And they didn't even get the light part right. It is the best choice out there at the moment, but such is the sad state of eInk e-readers. They either need to drastically improve the eInk screens are move on the the next great technology.
My K4B looks near white without a light shining on it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
but I understand they had the same problem already as with the K4NT : some units had really good screen, some did not.
The issue with K4 screen has been fixed. The black version is superior to any eInk display I've seen.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote