Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
My review of Augen The Book

Aside from a couple of bugs, I like it.
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...he-book-video/

Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
It's funny how two different people can get such differing views of the same item.

The second biggest drawback for me was that it is impossible to comfortably hold in one hand. I suspect this might be a gender difference—your assumedly larger hands coupled with the typical male higher upper body strength made this comfortable for you, but undoable for me.

I found the page-turn buttons very wrongly placed in contrast to you. I wanted them higher up the device so it was more balanced in my hand to make it easier to hold.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 PM   #3
clayw1pi
Enthusiast
clayw1pi is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle For PC
The wifi isn't the best, and the device leaves a bit to be desired when it comes to wanting to delete a favorite or book, but with that said, I like the TB. It's really easy to read with the back lit screen. Much better than my Sony PRS-300 Pocket Reader. I think it was a great deal for $89 and the battery seems to last about 8-9 hours.
clayw1pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
It's funny how two different people can get such differing views of the same item.

The second biggest drawback for me was that it is impossible to comfortably hold in one hand. I suspect this might be a gender difference—your assumedly larger hands coupled with the typical male higher upper body strength made this comfortable for you, but undoable for me.

I found the page-turn buttons very wrongly placed in contrast to you. I wanted them higher up the device so it was more balanced in my hand to make it easier to hold.

-Marcy
Actually, I don't have much in the way of upper arm strength. Balance is probably more important here, and obviously the Book does not work for your hand size.

Thank you for pointing the problem with hand sizes. I'll keep it in mind.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
gintzj
Connoisseur
gintzj began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi model
keep send the information as I am waiting for the days to pass and to get the TB from Heartland. Will it be sent? thank you all I am enjoying this very much. I have not found if Augen has posted the manuel on their site.

Keep smiling folks
gintzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gintzj View Post
keep send the information as I am waiting for the days to pass and to get the TB from Heartland. Will it be sent? thank you all I am enjoying this very much. I have not found if Augen has posted the manuel on their site.

Keep smiling folks
Can't you get one from Kmart?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
VentureForth
Enthusiast
VentureForth doesn't litterVentureForth doesn't litter

Device: Augen's The Book
Has anyone tried e-zines or daily newspapers on ths yet?

Does the Nook show images or illustrations in a book? Can TB do it?

Its fair to compare this to the $149 Nook... That was the original MSRP for this...
VentureForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureForth View Post
Has anyone tried e-zines or daily newspapers on ths yet?

Does the Nook show images or illustrations in a book? Can TB do it?

Its fair to compare this to the $149 Nook... That was the original MSRP for this...
TB does images just fine. I haven't tried newspapers, though.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
VentureForth
Enthusiast
VentureForth doesn't litterVentureForth doesn't litter

Device: Augen's The Book
Maybe it was just the freebie - Huck Finn only showed file names (xxxxxxx.jpg) where there was supposed to be an illustration.

I'd love for my wife to be able to do childrens books in her classroom.
VentureForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Nice overview, Nate.

I am growing very fond of the TB. It covers most of my needs in a portable ereader, a major need it fulfills very well is the backlighting, and the variable formats supported.

With some improvement on the software end, this could be a truly exceptional ereader.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I can't respond to newspapers yet, but TB handles magazines such as Analog, Asimov's, Ellery Queen Mystery just fine. Illustrations and all.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Nice overview, Nate.

I am growing very fond of the TB. It covers most of my needs in a portable ereader, a major need it fulfills very well is the backlighting, and the variable formats supported.

With some improvement on the software end, this could be a truly exceptional ereader.
I like it, too.

Do you know that I've heard from a couple people who decided against TB based on my review? I'm thrilled. When I do the review in favor and someone takes the opposite position then I know I did it right.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #13
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
I'm going to pick one of these up today.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
I picked one up today myself for my hubby. So far he's interested in it. It looks sturdy.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:55 AM   #15
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Firmware upgradeable?

Hi all,

I have read a report elsewhere that the firmware for TB cannot be upgraded, which seems a bit bizarre. The report claimed to be from someone who had contacted the tech support of Augen, and was told this.

Does anyone have any hard info regarding this?

Checking the manual - there was a link I found somewhere that pointed me to a pdf of it - there is an "Upgrade" item in the settings menu, but the manual states quite clearly that upgrade is "not available on this model." There's a bit that can be guessed-at from that.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote