Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
OS X testing needed

Hi all,

I moved the calibre OS X build system from Tiger to Leopard (calibre still works on Tiger, it's just built on Leopard) and took the opportunity to update various dependencies and re-organize internal structure as well).

As with any major change, I probably broke a few things, so I'd appreciate a little testing before I make the next release. All the major features work for me on Tiger and Leopard, but...

http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/b...bre-0.6.29.dmg

You can just delete your existing 0.6.29 app and replace with the linked one. If you experience major problem, you can safely go back to the old app.

Thanks.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Will test it.
Thanks for providing a cross-platform application!
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Downloading...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
testing on Snow Leopard at my mac at home thru Logmein on a Windows PC at work...

Opened an RTF, edited metadata, converted to ePub with no problems. Viewer seems to work as well.

Converted a LIT file as well.

Fetch News works great so far.

Save to Disk works (I see my .LIT, .EPUB, the cover....and an OPF? is that standard?)

Remove Books works.

Last edited by kjk; 12-22-2009 at 12:38 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It could be just me but Calibre seems much faster... especially when opening books
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yeah the OPF is normal. I didn't do anything specific to make it faster, but if it is, cool
Old 12-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
bzImage
Enthusiast
bzImage doesn't litterbzImage doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Testing on Snow Leopard.. thanks..
bzImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
akwant
closed
akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: ---
ohhh Qt 4.6, nice!

adding, converting to epub, meta editing no problems up to now.

Any plans for x86_64/Intel only version?

My understanding is that when Qt is compiled with -cocoa switch, it ends up with Intel only library, so just more work for you.

Then again, the frameworks take 200MB now on space, that's a lot especially because Mac OS has got Python and other frameworks on board.

but then you need to cover different platform...

anyway thanks for supporting Mac OS X platform and continuous improvements!
akwant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Seems to work fine, but now it's more than 200Mb in size, I wonder why that is.
Haven't done intensive testing yet, importing and editing meta info works without problems.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I think one of the betas we tested was 64 bit, wasn't it, Kovid?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah a 64bit only build is do-able, but it would mean maintaining two separate build systems, which is a lot of work for not much benefit.

The version of Python shipped with OS X is too outdated (actually all the open source libraries shipped with OS X are seriously outdated, so calibre has to bundle its own)
Old 12-24-2009, 03:22 AM   #12
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Sorry to be late to the party. It looks nicer, not sure exactly why, the icons seem to be smaller and more crisp. It identifies the SD card in my PRS600, which the older version didn't seem to be doing (I just tried this morning, so maybe there was another issue).

It says "Connected PRS700" underneath the version number, which is wrong.

It does seem faster, from the other comments I gather you switched to Qt 4.6 for the interface, which could be it. It was slow before, now the interface seems to respond quickly.

Thanks! I love calibre.
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #13
rcuadro
Wizard

I know that you said you didnt do anything to speed things up but I have to say that the reader portion is snappy as hell now. Before it took some time to open a book... and it was annoying to go from the initial page to the first page of text since it loaded flow for some time... but now it is almost instantaneous!
Whatever you did or whatever you changes was the right thing to do
Old 12-24-2009, 11:14 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah well, yes Qt has various speed improvements in 4.6, so calibre is a happy beneficiary
Old 12-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #15
drplokta
drplokta began at the beginning.

I have a small problem with the test version of 0.6.29. When editing a field in the main screen, I don't get a flashing cursor at the insertion point, so I can't tell where I'm about to enter text. I've switched back to the older 0.6.29, and now I have a cursor again.
drplokta is offline   Reply With Quote